What's new

Keyboard vs Hitbox

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Obviously, a Hitbox controller would be better for MKX play... But as I don't have $400 at the moment, I'm wondering what exactly the trade offs would be to using my Keyboard with a Hitbox layout... ASIDE from the obvious one of most events bring on console, this isn't relevant to me. I have a high quality gaming keyboard am I right in thinking that buying a Hitbox would just be a convenience?

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
I believe I heard somewhere that Keyboards are banned at tournaments. Just a heads up. Do you happen to have any sticks laying around? Remove the stick and put buttons instead and save money. Just food for thought.

God Confirm

I believe I heard somewhere that Keyboards are banned at tournaments. Just a heads up. Do you happen to have any sticks laying around? Remove the stick and put buttons instead and save money. Just food for thought.
Yeah but aside from tournaments, I'm just wondering in practice would it be any worse. Good advice on the stick but no idea how to do that lol

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Yeah but aside from tournaments, I'm just wondering in practice would it be any worse. Good advice on the stick but no idea how to do that lol
Do you have one though?
And no, a keyboard would be the same as the Hitbox as long as you map it the same. The hitbox button possition is almost perfect for inputs.

Solignac

Noob
I don't think they're banned. Winter warz is a canadian player that uses a keyboard. I've seen him use it at just about every event he's at, which includes majors.
Skip to the end, around 5:01, you can see he's got the keyboard

As far as what I think, I use a hitbox and I really enjoy it. Some commands are easier and other are harder opposed to a controller, at least for me. I used to play a lot of MAME games like MvC and I'd map/test the game out with my keyboard to see if the game ran ok but I ended up liking it and using the keyboard more often than a controller until I got into using a fightstick. They are essentially the same principle but if you want my opinion, a hitbox is a much better option unless you have some odd click/understanding with a keyboard. Hitboxes are made for fighting games, and they have all the traits of a stick just with buttons instead of the stick. You could use a keyboard as a preliminary test to see if you'll like it but you won't really know until you actually play around with a hitbox for a while. It helps if you've used a stick before.

And they're not $400, more like $200. I think I paid $150 for mine. You can use the PS3 one if you have a PS4 but only for MKX and Skullgirls.

Last edited:

God Confirm

I don't think they're banned. Winter warz is a canadian player that uses a keyboard. I've seen him use it at just about every event he's at, which includes majors.
Skip to the end, around 5:01, you can see he's got the keyboard

As far as what I think, I use a hitbox and I really enjoy it. Some commands are easier and other are harder opposed to a controller, at least for me. I used to play a lot of MAME games like MvC and I'd map/test the game out with my keyboard to see if the game ran ok but I ended up liking it and using the keyboard more often than a controller until I got into using a fightstick. They are essentially the same principle but if you want my opinion, a hitbox is a much better option unless you have some odd click/understanding with a keyboard. Hitboxes are made for fighting games, and they have all the traits of a stick just with buttons instead of the stick. You could use a keyboard as a preliminary test to see if you'll like it but you won't really know until you actually play around with a hitbox for a while. It helps if you've used a stick before.

And they're not $400, more like $200. I think I paid $150 for mine. You can use the PS3 one if you have a PS4 but only for MKX and Skullgirls.
Shipping to my country is ~$100 off the bat. Australian. I think it will cost me more than $400 for a cross platform one.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
The only difference, as you could imagine, would be the buttons. Which could be a major difference depending on which keyboard you plan on using.

Hitboxes (I believe) use Sanwa buttons, which are top of the line quality, very sensitive and built to last.

While a keyboard may provide the same thing, the buttons (or keys) may have a different frame delay on when your character responds. Same thing when u go from a regular TV to a lagless montior. From keyboard to hitbox may be the same kind of transition.

I'd say a keyboard is the closest thing to a hit box though. Definitely.

Solignac

Noob
Shipping to my country is ~$100 off the bat. Australian. I think it will cost me more than $400 for a cross platform one.
Sorry to hear that. You could always try making one yourself. It's an involved process but there are plenty of tutorials online. A keyboard would essentially be the closest thing to a hitbox for you in that case (in my experience). You could also try picking up an arcade stick at a local store as it emulates the buttons of a hitbox and combine your experiences/thoughts with both. (though the best time to get a stick would be during EVO season, where the coupons are mad. dunno with your case with shipping and all)
The only difference, as you could imagine, would be the buttons. Which could be a major difference depending on which keyboard you plan on using.

Hitboxes (I believe) use Sanwa buttons, which are top of the line quality, very sensitive and built to last.

While a keyboard may provide the same thing, the buttons (or keys) may have a different frame delay on when your character responds. Same thing when u go from a regular TV to a lagless montior. From keyboard to hitbox may be the same kind of transition.

I'd say a keyboard is the closest thing to a hit box though. Definitely.
Yes, they use Sanwa buttons which is a contrast to keyboard buttons, even top of the line keyboards, at least where fighting games are concerned. Your analogy is spot on. Since keyboards aren't exactly built from the ground up for fighting games, I can imagine they won't serve their purpose 100% of the time as far as consistency is concerned. I've heard the term "Poor man's hitbox" which I am inclined to agree with based on my experience.

God Confirm

Or is they Hitbox a rich man's keyboard :DOGE

Seriously though thanks for the advice guys. Seems they are functionally identical, at the very least similar enough that any training I put in on keyboard will translate easily to the Hitbox when I finally build/make one.

I'd love a good guide on how to make one, or advice from someone who has and is willing to answer some questions.

Solignac

Noob
Or is they Hitbox a rich man's keyboard :DOGE

Seriously though thanks for the advice guys. Seems they are functionally identical, at the very least similar enough that any training I put in on keyboard will translate easily to the Hitbox when I finally build/make one.

I'd love a good guide on how to make one, or advice from someone who has and is willing to answer some questions.
I got you fam

http://www.slagcoin.com/

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/127440?threads/the-beginners-guide-to-planning-a-mod-like-a-pro.127440/

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/195753/building-my-own-stickless-arcade-thingy-like-a-hitbox-not-being-one

http://imgur.com/a/plkGF

The video above is for a stick but it's essentially the same idea. You can get premade stuff or use a diffent material other than wood, this is just an example. To be honest with you, the hardest part is planning and cutting the dimensions for the buttons properly, the wiring isn't too hard, especially if you choose not to do any soldering.
The SRK forums have a lot on building, but feel free to google.