What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Raiden Kano Matchup

mrtom

Noob
Any advice on the Kano matchup? So far I've only played bad Kano's but I just ran across a really good one and didn't fair very well. We played about 10 matches with me winning only 3. I can't find a way past his pokesn and his throwing knives have great recovery so you can't really out zone him. I haven't looked at his frame data but his normals seem very safe, especially his lows. He did seem to have trouble getting out of the corner and if I got him there I usually took the round but if he breaks or uses his armored roll to escape, it's very hard to get back in on him.

Big_Boss_Reiko

Mortal Kombat
Only advice i can give for now is to ex db3 through him when u expect the pokes. i can usally judge the distance at which he will try the crouch kick and combo from there. My friend mains kano so i learn alot from him. if you can i would try and learn the most you can about cybernetic kano. he has alot of combos that extend from the pokes you probably encountered in your matchup. hope the little bit of info i gave u helped. oh and by the way i usually play it safe by crouching and waiting since he only has an overhead in the cyber varition and in addition to that kno has to be kissing the opponent in order for it to connect. Sometimes i use a ballsy EX df2 as well to catch him when he pokes

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
From experience facing an equally fast kotal kahn poke game, I found success in anticipating his pokes. Know when you block something when he's going to follow up poke and let the push back from your block set up a d4. Even though Raiden's d4 is fairly slow, utilizing it at max distance will often catch quicker close-up pokers to eat it when closing distance. After connecting with d4, follow it up with a run combo.

When he throws knives, anticipate and meter burn superman. Yea it will burn meter but will get you closer and sometimes put him in the corner where raiden does tons of damage!

mrtom

Noob
When he throws knives, anticipate and meter burn superman. Yea it will burn meter but will get you closer and sometimes put him in the corner where raiden does tons of damage!
That's what I was doing and it worked great at first but once he realized he's going to lose if he gets cornered he wised up and started baiting it. If you're 3/4 screen or more away you can't do it on reaction(online at least), he'll recover fast enough to block. It's gotta be a read and if you guess wrong you've lost one bar and ate a decent punish. Meter seems extra important in this match since armoring up is your easiest way in.

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
Raiden has an uphill battle against great zoners . And Kano is one of them. You just gotta stay on him

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
A lot of zoners employ basic strats as .... fireball ad nauseum until you attempt to run or jump in, at which point they do some kind of anti-air (kano ball, fast jump kick, Liu Kang Legendary kick, or even NJP). If they are predictable like this, dont forget you can jump forward into an air superman, which will interrupt their anti air unless it's armored. Of course, this is also risky, as if you failed to read their anti air, you'll be a sitting duck on landing.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
A lot of zoners employ basic strats as .... fireball ad nauseum until you attempt to run or jump in, at which point they do some kind of anti-air (kano ball, fast jump kick, Liu Kang Legendary kick, or even NJP). If they are predictable like this, dont forget you can jump forward into an air superman, which will interrupt their anti air unless it's armored. Of course, this is also risky, as if you failed to read their anti air, you'll be a sitting duck on landing.
Don't yolo superman ever. Don't superman on read. It's never worth it. Mistakes are mistakes but... just try to never do it ever. Only do it on reaction.