What's new

just ordered... time to go Sako level

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

And can't wait to get this on my hands, its been long years since i've grabed a Stick from arcade, and by getting this a lots of questions comes into mind.

1st. I'm constantly asking myself how long it will take to adapt my Skarlet to the stick, and how high i will rise the bar up with it, there is a few tasks that becomes much easier in stick, like iaD execution. Combo execution. Ready to AA all the time because i will be using almost my entire right hand and spread my finger tips into each button.

2nd. Its time to get serious in Tekken and i believe this will be a major help as well, since i main Jin Kazama, from Wavedashes do backdashes all the way down to MA dash which is my jin speciality due the mixes out of it, noticing that All MA followups, can come out at any time, and that he can cancell MAdashes into KBD (korean Back dash), or Wavedashes or even EWHF, this will surely improve my tekken powers.

3rd. Street Fighter, i play Ibuki, i play E.Ryu, its time to go Sako level, and i can do it a bit on the D Pad, but is just stupid hard to finish those combos without droping in the D-Pad. Overall i feel like the D-Pad is holding my execution back, because i've already proven myself that i'm capable of doing so much more even on D-pad, that simply doesn't let me fufill the entire task, and i'm tired of destroying my PS3 pads.

So i said, fuck it, it will cost me but it will get here. So i just ordered and hopefully before the second week finishes it will be here.

shiet, forgot to mention Akira's 1frame knee, the stupid move ever created.
@RedRaptor10
@Ninj
@AssassiN
@MoonSpell
@SaJa
@AK GamerBlake
@THTB
@zaf

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Don't expect to learn it in less than a month or 2
i've learned to play video games in arcade, i handle my own way to the kof level where ppl actually think the execution is major hard ^^

so yeah, it might take a while, but i think at least skarlet i can do it before flawless victory 2 (march 2nd)

zaf

professor
I had a feeling you would be moving to a stick one day.
Even I am playing on stick more and more now.
My aa's are worlds better because it is just that much easier to press a button with your index finger.
Almost everyone I know that used to play on pad is moving to stick ( except for reo, he'll be a pad warrior for life).

it will take a while to get completely used to the stick, your execution will not get better per-say. Like do not expect to drop nothing.
It will make the inputs a lot easier to do for yourself, and it will make them more accurate, but no not expect them to never drop.
You still have to apply the timing.

One thing that I still do not understand on stick, is how to do instant air fireballs in MK.
There is a trick in most fighting games "called tiger-kneeing". This is for doing instant air projectiles.
Let's use akuma instant air fireball for example.
You can press down, forward and THEN jump forward. So move the stick from down, to down-forward, to forward to up forward.
As soon as you leave the air, press punch and akuma will fireball. The game keeps your last motions and this is why this is possible.
However NRS games do not work like this, so when doing ermacs iafb on stick, shit is so stupid. I need to find a shortcut.
This is definitely an input that is easier on stick. BUT instant air fireballs like liu kang and mileena and even kabal, on stick are really easy.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I had a feeling you would be moving to a stick one day.
Even I am playing on stick more and more now.
My aa's are worlds better because it is just that much easier to press a button with your index finger.
Almost everyone I know that used to play on pad is moving to stick ( except for reo, he'll be a pad warrior for life).

it will take a while to get completely used to the stick, your execution will not get better per-say. Like do not expect to drop nothing.
It will make the inputs a lot easier to do for yourself, and it will make them more accurate, but no not expect them to never drop.
You still have to apply the timing.

One thing that I still do not understand on stick, is how to do instant air fireballs in MK.
There is a trick in most fighting games "called tiger-kneeing". This is for doing instant air projectiles.
Let's use akuma instant air fireball for example.
You can press down, forward and THEN jump forward. So move the stick from down, to down-forward, to forward to up forward.
As soon as you leave the air, press punch and akuma will fireball. The game keeps your last motions and this is why this is possible.
However NRS games do not work like this, so when doing ermacs iafb on stick, shit is so stupid. I need to find a shortcut.
This is definitely an input that is easier on stick. BUT instant air fireballs like liu kang and mileena and even kabal, on stick are really easy.
yes i get what you mean, its not like i do expect to not drop, but to make much easier to be accurate with it.

And i understand about the tiger kneeing code, is the sagat's standard tiger knee input, in Samurai Shodown II there was a character named Ukyo, we used to perform his projectile move (Tsubame Gaeshi) in 3 ways, backdashing into QCF, QFCU and slash as soon as he leaves the ground or by jumping, but only QCFU would get them to come out really low.

To perform ia moves in MK you have to tap U by a single frame, and the input the rest really fast, is like doing Cammy's ia EX Gannon Strike from the trials, or like doing Ibuki 4 SJC, 2x QCF Ultra 2 stupidly fast, if you can do that combo on D-pad or stick you will be throwing iaFB with ermac all day, i used to do the ibuki one on the D-Pad, so now i can consistently throw a few iaDs from time to time, but is not accurate, because the D-pad will get destroyed if i continue.

zaf

professor
yes i get what you mean, its not like i do expect to not drop, but to make much easier to be accurate with it.

And i understand about the tiger kneeing code, is the sagat's standard tiger knee input, in Samurai Shodown II there was a character named Ukyo, we used to perform his projectile move (Tsubame Gaeshi) in 3 ways, backdashing into QCF, QFCU and slash as soon as he leaves the ground or by jumping, but only QCFU would get them to come out really low.

To perform ia moves in MK you have to tap U by a single frame, and the input the rest really fast, is like doing Cammy's ia EX Gannon Strike from the trials, or like doing Ibuki 4 SJC, 2x QCF Ultra 2 stupidly fast, if you can do that combo on D-pad or stick you will be throwing iaFB with ermac all day, i used to do the ibuki one on the D-Pad, so now i can consistently throw a few iaDs from time to time, but is not accurate, because the D-pad will get destroyed if i continue.
oh, i know how it works in nrs games. I can do it perfect on pad. It's just akward to do on stick.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I use to play SF on Arcades and on a stick long ago.
This is a huge upgrade.
Way better execution and those sticks dont were off as fast as the PS3 pads do.
So it will remain in great shape for years. I personally use the "bat top" but You probably wont need that.
It will take time to move muscle memory but it will be defiantly worth every minute for spend.

Good luck Eddy! and stay in touch.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I use to play SF on Arcades and on a stick long ago.
This is a huge upgrade.
Way better execution and those sticks dont were off as fast as the PS3 pads do.
So it will remain in great shape for years. I personally use the "bat top" but You probably wont need that.
It will take time to move muscle memory but it will be defiantly worth every minute for spend.

Good luck Eddy! and stay in touch.
no problem man, i will

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
:DOGE
I just found out this is an actual emote. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS AMAZING ADDITION?

also grats on the stick, GL. it'll take longer to learn than you might think :)
i need to do something while i wait for it, the suspanse is killing me :DOGE

Justice

Noob
The frustrating part of switching input methods is that in the beginning, you will actually perform much worse than usual. This causes many people that try a stick for like 5 mins or so to say "Eff dis sheeite." Just keep this in mind when you get your stick and don't let yourself be discouraged.

As a player who has went from pad to stick and finally to HitBox, one pitfall I'll warn you about now is speed. In the beginning you WILL have to re-condition your brain to slow your inputs down since your right hand can now use all 4 fingers where on pad you only used your thumb. Syncing your hands will also be an issue to be wary of (doing a QCF motion and pressing the button at the right time, not early or late).

MK also has shortcuts. For example, Kabal's IaGBs are so simple to pull off it's extremely stoopid. All you have to do is double-tap the UP/Back diagonal and press the attack button. That's it. On a stick, this can be uncomfortable depending on your grip. I haven't tested this, but IaFs with inputs like Liu Kang's should be as simple as Up/Back then Forward +ATK to get that as well. 2 directional inputs instead of 3.

Good luck with your stick! It looks like a good one :D

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The frustrating part of switching input methods is that in the beginning, you will actually perform much worse than usual. This causes many people that try a stick for like 5 mins or so to say "Eff dis sheeite." Just keep this in mind when you get your stick and don't let yourself be discouraged.

As a player who has went from pad to stick and finally to HitBox, one pitfall I'll warn you about now is speed. In the beginning you WILL have to re-condition your brain to slow your inputs down since your right hand can now use all 4 fingers where on pad you only used your thumb. Syncing your hands will also be an issue to be wary of (doing a QCF motion and pressing the button at the right time, not early or late).

MK also has shortcuts. For example, Kabal's IaGBs are so simple to pull off it's extremely stoopid. All you have to do is double-tap the UP/Back diagonal and press the attack button. That's it. On a stick, this can be uncomfortable depending on your grip. I haven't tested this, but IaFs with inputs like Liu Kang's should be as simple as Up/Back then Forward +ATK to get that as well. 2 directional inputs instead of 3.

Good luck with your stick! It looks like a good one :D
good shit, i which more stick players could post some advices as well, i will make sure to record some input with an extra cam once i get it down, and i will tag all of you guys.

The stick the new Hori RAP weapon according to the store it came out in last november, maybe sako will be getting this one next year, i'm curious if i can custon the desing the front, to put something more personal.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I bought myself a Qanba Q4 in like early December, and it took me less time than I thought it would to adapt. I never played FGs in arcade competitively so I had zero bearings.

Injustice made sense right away, I did my bnbs a couple times the night I got and it didn't feel foreign to block/zone/play footsies after maybe a week or so. At this point I hit all my tech and combos pretty much to the level that I was on pad and feel confident enough to use it at Apex.

I could barely do anything in MK9 until recently. I had to get used to using the stick with IGAU before I could even start block dashing and shit, and I'm still not good. I can do my combos most of the time, but it's weird switching to using a block button on stick. It's way easier to mash out instant-air inputs (Zod's iaZB, Kabal iaGB) on a pad too.

I'm learning SSF4 with it and it's much more intuitive than when I tried pad. I still suck, though, but this game was clearly meant to be played with a stick.

Justice

Noob
good shit, i which more stick players could post some advices as well, i will make sure to record some input with an extra cam once i get it down, and i will tag all of you guys.

The stick the new Hori RAP weapon according to the store it came out in last november, maybe sako will be getting this one next year, i'm curious if i can custon the desing the front, to put something more personal.
From the looks of it (and a quick Google search) it looks like the artwork is painted onto the plexi. The good news is, there are a number of good places where you can get artwork done or get clear plexis if you want to make your own.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/137307/the-new-official-arcade-stick-art-thread-no-image-quoting

That's a thread on shoryuken that will help you out with your arts :D

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I bought myself a Qanba Q4 in like early December, and it took me less time than I thought it would to adapt. I never played FGs in arcade competitively so I had zero bearings.

Injustice made sense right away, I did my bnbs a couple times the night I got and it didn't feel foreign to block/zone/play footsies after maybe a week or so. At this point I hit all my tech and combos pretty much to the level that I was on pad and feel confident enough to use it at Apex.

I could barely do anything in MK9 until recently. I had to get used to using the stick with IGAU before I could even start block dashing and shit, and I'm still not good. I can do my combos most of the time, but it's weird switching to using a block button on stick. If there is MK9 at Apex, I'm playing on pad.

I'm learning SSF4 with it and it's much more intuitive than when I tried pad. I still suck, though, but this game was clearly meant to be played with a stick.
it's much easier to play a game with no significant movement and easy combos on stick , whichis why you see people able to play certain games on stick but not others, e.g NRS games are stupid easy on stick, SF not even close.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
From the looks of it (and a quick Google search) it looks like the artwork is painted onto the plexi. The good news is, there are a number of good places where you can get artwork done or get clear plexis if you want to make your own.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/137307/the-new-official-arcade-stick-art-thread-no-image-quoting

That's a thread on shoryuken that will help you out with your arts :D
OMG this thread :D
I haven't found a template for this Hori version yet,

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
@Eddy Wang

This will definitely bring your game up a few notches. I personally prefer the hitbox over a stick but they're both on the same level. Grats on the stick - it looks sick.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang

This will definitely bring your game up a few notches. I personally prefer the hitbox over a stick but they're both on the same level. Grats on the stick - it looks sick.
it will look even sicker with this

Just drew the concept yesterday and a great artist friend of my crew helped me reaching to this point, i'm currently arranging and introducing the details digitally before i deliver this to another artist to give birth to a very unique design ^^