What's new

just got the red ring

HD Smoke

Noob
nothing like playing online in a match and getting red ring of death lol. i have a few questions. any help i appreciate. i tried like 4 different ps2 controllers on my 360 tonight (i have the ps2 controller converter)
would that have been the reason for red ring? could that of messed with my 360 at all. It was a old 360 though with hours upon hours. it was the 360 halo 3 edition back from like 2007 lol. Im not too mad im just going to get a new 360 this weekend but i am wondering if i can switch out hard drives to keep all my progress and everything.
-thanks

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
No... That wouldn't cause the Red Ring..
It's an internal problem. The old Xbox's had worse quality kontrol than the current ones do.

If you want to switch out hard drives you'll probably have to pay extra.. The newer models don't use the same as the old ones do.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Nope, not the controllers fault. The thermal paste inside the console probably wore out.

And yes, you can transfer memory from an old hard drive to a new one. You just need a transfer cable. I think the new Xbox's, Slims as they are called, come with one inside the box. Or atleast mine did. But I did buy it the day it came out so I don't know if they do that anymore.

If they don't then im sure you can get one from Xbox's website or BestBuy. Maybe even GameStop.

Good luck.

B W1zZ

Noob
Is it 1 red light or 3 red lights? Any specific error code displayed on the TV? You might be able to fix it with a kit you can buy on ebay...worked for me and gave my 360 a few more years.

HD Smoke

Noob
Is it 1 red light or 3 red lights? Any specific error code displayed on the TV? You might be able to fix it with a kit you can buy on ebay...worked for me and gave my 360 a few more years.
Thanks for the help Red Reaper RampaginDragon and B W1zZ

Also BW it is 3 red lights, does that mean its done for? I was playing someone online and the tv made this crazy static sound and than just scrambled all over the place. I thought it was the TV at first whiched scared the hell out of me. If 3 bars means its done ill just get a new xbox, they dont have red ring issues right?
-Thanks for the help guys

B W1zZ

Noob
Thanks for the help Red Reaper RampaginDragon and B W1zZ

Also BW it is 3 red lights, does that mean its done for? I was playing someone online and the tv made this crazy static sound and than just scrambled all over the place. I thought it was the TV at first whiched scared the hell out of me. If 3 bars means its done ill just get a new xbox, they dont have red ring issues right?
-Thanks for the help guys
You can probably do the x clamp fix/new thermal paste and it might work again.