What's new

Jump ins?

Wax

Noob
What are the pros and cons, also how do i get better/take advantage of it in training mode?

What are the pros and cons, also how do i get better/take advantage of it in training mode?
pros - Jump in punches that connect lead to highly damaging combos for many characters. When your jump in punch is blocked you can attempt a throw or strike and your opponent has to either stop blocking in order to escape out of the throw or block the strike (you can't be interrupted). So if they keep blocking after the jump in punch and you immediately attempt a throw, you'll land the throw. If they stop blocking after the jump in punch in order to escape a throw and you have linked in another strike after your jump in punch it will land.

cons - You can't block while in the air so you're open to your opponent's anti air moves, some of which lead to highly damaging combos.

practice mode - Practice your combos that start with jump in punches. You can set the AI to stand block to practice jump in punch-throw if you want.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my experience it seems that a jump in punch that connects can basically serve as an opener to almost anything... specials, uppercuts, combo fragments, etc.

For instance, Kung Lao's 1, 1, 2, 1 combo... if you wanted to link it with a jump in punch, all you have to do is quickly input 1, 1, 2, 1 after your jump in punch connects. Including your jump in punch, this would count as a 5 hit combo. This works the same with any of the combos listed in the Moves List for any character.

Other things can be linked to a jump in punch too. You could just quickly link an uppercut to a successful jump in punch and it would count as a 2 hit combo. Or you could link a quick special, like Scorpion's spear, right after a successful jump in punch. Stuff like that.

tenshox

Noob
I really have to get used to the fact, that it is not possible to punish blocked jump ins :p
Or am i missing something there?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
My biggest problem with jump ins are the people online who constantly crouch block. I tend to whiff my JIP and it drives me crazy.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
My main uses for Jump Punch:

Cyrax: If I jump punch and they block it, I go into a bomb trap. If they don't block it I do a 2 1 sticky bomb 58% combo.

Smoke: If they block it, I might grab. Or if I just want to continue pressure, I'll jump over them again with a jump punch and usually 1 1 then jump back to the other side and keep them guessing. If they don't block I go into my 3 D+1 2 combo string.