What's new

Joker Pressure from Combos

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Before I post this I want to clarify that this is not an un-blockable reset, or even much of a reset to begin with. This is merely something I like to do during a simple Jump In combo. With that being said, I find this neat to do at some times to cause panic.

You start this off with a combo such as J2, 32, MB RLG, B3. Now at the B3 I don't follow it up with any attacks, I just let them fall at the base of Joker's feet. When they fall I throw out a set of close teeth. From there you have some options.

In this video I went with the acid flower to stun them so the teeth can explode. From there it's followed up by a normal wallbounce combo.

Now, I know, what if they block low?

Well, you can cross them up with a delayed J2 and the teeth will pop them up for another wallbounce.

It's possible to get them in this same loop forever if they don't tech roll or block correctly.

If you're expecting a tech roll, you throw out a set of far teeth, dash in for a crowbar overhead or jump in.

Again, this is in no way an unblockable setup. This is just a neat way to keep someone guessing with the teeth. I haven't seen this elsewhere, so forgive me if it's already been posted.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Well, I'm not sure how effective this will turn out to be. It's working well for me online right now. It's not that hard once you notice someone's tendencies. If you see them roll, throw the far teeth, if they don't roll, throw the close teeth.

I'm about to test this against wake up attacks right now.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Update

Here's what I was talking about. You can keep it going forever until they escape it. But, I feel like it can create panic in opponents and lead you to other ways in.

Any thoughts?

laudanum09

Darling
what happens when they tech roll? do you whiff or land in front of them? and what about j3? won't that set up the bounce with teeth AND catch tech roll and force a block or beat backdashes from that range?

edit: seems like a ghetto, techable version of mid-stage interactable loop.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
There's really no way other than their tendencies to know if they'll tech roll. If you think they will you throw out a set of far teeth and dash after them. But yea, the J3 would beat all of that, especially if they roll and block low. With proper timing you can actually get the overhead J3 as the teeth explode, land and hit another wallbounce.

Life I said, this isn't an actual reset, just something I feel puts pressure on opponents. Anytime a wallbounce happens we assume that it'll be followed up. But dropping the wallbounce and going into teeth seems to be causing some panic.

Could make for an interesting vortex. Potential options for no tech roll:
  • close teeth+
    • grab
    • crossup/unblockable
    • MB High Gas
  • far teeth+
    • grab
    • parry (Catch a reversal. Since teeth are not under them, your opponents may be more inclined to try a reversal.)
Potential options for tech roll:
  • close teeth+
    • Gunshot?
    • Acid Flower?
    • Low Gas?
    • MB High Gas?
  • far teeth+
    • MB High Gas
    • Crowbar Special?
    • Jumping overhead
All this is theory. This is certainly not a list of good options, nor is it a comprehensive list of potential options. To the lab!

lorenzo

Noob
I have various option selects from that. The time I usually do this is in the second health bar so they won't be able to clash. The options you have are the following. F3, j3, j2, rolling gas, crowbar overhead.

F3, is an unblockable setup if time correctly, but can be evade with roll. Jump 3 catches roll, crowbar will catch all options but they can punish with a well time wake up and is unsafe on block. Rolling gas will give you a double low, catch back dashes, and allow you to keep pressure.

You can also do b1, and overhead. The overhead will hit at the same time the teeth will explode and give you a launch.

I would like to record all my vortex and tech, but I don't have equipment.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
There are some options with this. I just played a match against a Batman that would tech roll everything. So, after a wallbounce I threw out a set of far teeth, dashed forward and did a J2. He blocked low for the teeth and I got the jump in combo ending with a flower for 42%.

Obviously that doesn't work every time as they can roll then jump away from the teeth. But then you can knock them out of the air. I think it gives you some options. You have to commit to dropping a combo and going for this pressure though.

Well, there's the trade off: You can take the combo, or you can take the set-up.

I was thinking: after a teeth-interupted throw (not teched, otherwise that would lead into a combo), what options do we have? It would make teeth+throw a more viable vortex option if we could pull something.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Not that using the teeth like this isn't great (it's what makes Joker so cool) but more characters can dash or jump back to get out. Best bet is trying to catch them with a ji3 due to the range, which will generally land if the dash, jump, or low block, but you won't usually combo from it (unless they lowblock). Still really solid tech, but certain wakeups and tech rolling can also work around this, so players who know what they are doing can get around it in time. None of Joker's resets are full proof, but they would be too good if they were (and infinite which would break him) so he is great against people that can't figure out how to escape and able to keep good players running and off their game alot of the time. With the improved gas tank speeds you can also use them as mix-up when you think your opponent is gonna be tech rolling out and such. Good demo though man!

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Not that using the teeth like this isn't great (it's what makes Joker so cool) but more characters can dash or jump back to get out. Best bet is trying to catch them with a ji3 due to the range, which will generally land if the dash, jump, or low block, but you won't usually combo from it (unless they lowblock). Still really solid tech, but certain wakeups and tech rolling can also work around this, so players who know what they are doing can get around it in time. None of Joker's resets are full proof, but they would be too good if they were (and infinite which would break him) so he is great against people that can't figure out how to escape and able to keep good players running and off their game alot of the time. With the improved gas tank speeds you can also use them as mix-up when you think your opponent is gonna be tech rolling out and such. Good demo though man!
For sure. Joker is really cool because he isn't broken with unblockable resets. I wouldn't really like him that much. The point I'm making is that he can really put people in uncomfortable situations with the pressure from the teeth. And he has options to counter against what they do in response to the teeth.

If you are aware that a person is going to either tech roll or backdash, MAKING A READ, and tossing a rolling laughing gas will stuff it. MB into bnb.

I GUARENTEE you that your opponent will think twice about doing it again. so vortex until they do it.