What's new

Tech Johnny2D Trait Resets/Setups

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Here is some more exploration off of my 11d2 set up with trait. This time with an 'anti anti air' to set up a jump in, and a 123 version so you can mix up doing high high low, and high overhead. Also I show how to set this stuff up off of a mid-screen bnb that I use from his f2 starter. The setup works well enough that you can use it to bait most wake ups and punish with monster bites or combos, (Even Superman's Super). In most of these I end with a standing reset, which becomes very good in the corner since the gun doesn't push back in the corner so you get a 50/50. Also, the only time I use meter is for the Superman super punish, you don't need to use the meter here, I just like hitting that pretty boy hard and trapping him in the mirror. I'm sure other people can find a better corner combo to end the reset in but the principle will be the same off of a standing reset that is +15.

***Edit: I've learned that 11d2 isnt +5 on block, but i'm assuming even if they block low, using 4 to check them with a monster slap keeps you at advantage so you can go into more pressure or go for an overhead grab or low starter etc. I could be wrong but it feels like he keeps advatage through that. I'm going to test more tomorrow.

#1. High high low: j4, j2, 11d2, 4, d2, d4, j2, 112, gun. (39% damage, +15 standing)
#2. High overhead: j4, j2, 123, 4, d2, d4, j2, 112, gun. (35% damage, +15 standing)
#3. Low starter: f21u2, db1, j2, db1, dash, 123, 4... j4, j2, 11d2, 4, d2, d4, j2, 112, gun. (31% damage, then 39% +15 standing)
#4. Low starter Super Punish: f21u2, db1, j2, db1, dash, 123, 4... BLOCK SUPER, 3, 4, 3, 4, 112, bf3 MB (31% damage, then 39% super punish)
#5. Last: You can use the advantage of +15 when you end the combo standing in the corner. This sets up a f2 or b1 low or f3 or 12 overhead for more combo damage. You can use the advantage to finish the round or back dash out to get away.

***Edit: I'm adding another post I made today just to have all the most useful stuff right at the beginning of the thread***

More stuff!!! Xbox live was down today so I spent another whole day in the lab and found a few more things. The first combo just ends with a standard b3 into set up like a lot of the other bnbs I've seen but I mix in a parry mid combo for more meter. The second two are corner shenanigans inspired by a trick I would use with Shazam, basically some specials leave the opponent right at your feet in the corner after knockdown, Zod's bf3 MB does this perfectly and it allows you to mix up what side you want to be on when they get up. The first version of this I jump up making Zod land behind the opponent, the second version of this I use a bnb low starter, you could also go for an overhead here for even more mind games.

#1. A little extra meter by using parry mid combo.
j4, j2, 11d2, 4, d2, d4, PARRY, b3, j2, 123, set up of choice

#2. Corner shenanigans 01
j4, j2, 11d2, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 123, bf3 MB... j3, 123 bf2
(Jumping puts you on the other side of him after the MB bf3) 51% damage +the set up

#3. Corner shenanigans 02
j4, j2, 11d2, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 123, bf3 MB... f21u2, db1 slow, j2, db1 mid, 123, set up of choice
51% damage +the set up

In the corner combos you can start however you'd like, the important part I'm showing is ending in bf3MB to set them at your feet for a set up.

***Edited to include more tech I found this week, why not have it all in one place? I posted it in the community combo thread but its buried 250 posts deep so here it is for people looking here.

Is it known that with monster out you can hit 4 mid string for more damage as in:
f213 bf3= 17%
f2413 bf3=22%

Its not hard you just plink 24 then plink 13 immediately. It works with 213 as well, that way you get the overhead at the end if they are blocking low. In 213 you plink the same way as the other one, 2413. Of course this is with trait out so you need to be in f2 range or willing to dash all the way in for 213. Basically for all of the trait bnbs that are listed, you should be able to get another hit in, in the middle of the string.

Here's what I've got for a f2 starter midscreen, no jump in:
f2413, 4, 34, 34, 34, 123 bf3= 51% (54% with mb bf3)

Here's whats in the video:
#1. f213, bf3, 17%
#2. f2413, bf3, 22%
#3. f2413, 4, 34, 34, 34, 123, bf3 mb, 54%
#4. 2413, 4, 34, 34, 123, bf3 mb, 46%

I think on the last one you can probably do another 34 before the finisher but I got lazy making the video, you get the point.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Here is some more exploration off of my 11d2 set up with trait. This time with an 'anti anti air' to set up a jump in, and a 123 version so you can mix up doing high high low, and high overhead. Also I show how to set this stuff up off of a mid-screen bnb that I use from his f2 starter. The setup works well enough that you can use it to bait most wake ups and punish with monster bites or combos, (Even Superman's Super). In most of these I end with a standing reset, which becomes very good in the corner since the gun doesn't push back in the corner so you get a 50/50. Also, the only time I use meter is for the Superman super punish, you don't need to use the meter here, I just like hitting that pretty boy hard and trapping him in the mirror. I'm sure other people can find a better corner combo to end the reset in but the principle will be the same off of a standing reset that is +15. Also, 11d2 is +5 on block so assuming they block low you can go into more pressure or go for an overhead grab or low starter etc.

#1. High high low: j4, j2, 11d2, 4, d2, d4, j2, 112, gun. (39% damage, +15 standing)
#2. High overhead: j4, j2, 123, 4, d2, d4, j2, 112, gun. (35% damage, +15 standing)
#3. Low starter: f21u2, db1, j2, db1, dash, 123, 4... j4, j2, 11d2, 4, d2, d4, j2, 112, gun. (31% damage, then 39% +15 standing)
#4. Low starter Super Punish: f21u2, db1, j2, db1, dash, 123, 4... BLOCK SUPER, 3, 4, 3, 4, 112, bf3 MB (31% damage, then 39% super punish)
#5. Last: You can use the advantage of +15 when you end the combo standing in the corner. This sets up a f2 or b1 low or f3 or 12 overhead for more combo damage. You can use the advantage to finish the round or back dash out to get away.
I'm about to watch the video but 11d2 is NOT +5 on block

See my video

Pig Of The Hut

Ahh that's cool, ending your combos w gun to be +15 on hit standing is smart

Johnny2d

Ok so I'm sitting thinking about this and what I'm thinking is this

-if you land the overhead grab why even do 112 gun instead of a b3 combo?
-could this possibly be used this way? Overhead grab ji2 112 gun shot IAFB slow low to ground dash instant cross up 3 into f213 bf3 MB (can u record this and try it? I'm away at the beach)

Pig Of The Hut

Johnny2d

Rewatching I do like this in the corner, still try my idea though

You could probably do IAZB slow then ZOD charge for free cause they can only block it since ball will hit them

Also would MB ground laser hit them after 112 gun?

Johnny2d

Thanks for the suggestions pig! I'm going to work on them more tomorrow. The idea with 112 gun is to take away wakeups and get +15, I'm hoping more mixups can be found from the advantage from it. If not midscreen, at least it works really well in the corner.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Pig Of The Hut

Thanks for the suggestions pig! I'm going to work on them more tomorrow. The idea with 112 gun is to take away wakeups and get +15, I'm hoping more mixups can be found from the advantage from it. If not midscreen, at least it works really well in the corner.

Awesome man

Yes you'd do me a HUGE solid if u try those recommendations

Either way this is a winner in the corner :)

Johnny2d

Thanks. Anyone know what the advantage is if you do 11d2, 4? Assuming they block it all low. It still seems good still. So even if 11d2 isn't +5 like I thought, a monster slap after 11d2 makes it plus right? I don't know the data on blocked monster slap but it seems like zod gets more pressure with a mid hitting string, or he could do a 50/50 attempt.

Johnny2d

Amazing stuff johnny! I'm glad to see the 112 pistol getting put to use!
Yeah man you and me found all this stuff in online practice on day 1 but we were discovering so much we didn't know what to do with it! Now that I'm putting more time and thought into it I'm finding more applications for it all.

Yeah man you and me found all this stuff in online practice on day 1 but we were discovering so much we didn't know what to do with it! Now that I'm putting more time and thought into it I'm finding more applications for it all.
This is great stuff we have here! I remember another oki setup with Zodis ending with 123xxslow ball. It is very much like a reptile setup and it works well if you happened to not have trait ready to deploy

Johnny2d

Johnny2d you gonna use Zod to cover Captain Marvel's bad matchups? :joker:
I love Shazam and all but I haven't been able put down Zod since he came out. I've been in the lab every day and training him with the other locals. As of right now Shazam is riding the bench but I don't think he's getting cut from the team. Its not a matchup thing either, I just really like playing the guy.

I love Shazam and all but I haven't been able put down Zod since he came out. I've been in the lab every day and training him with the other locals. As of right now Shazam is riding the bench but I don't think he's getting cut from the team. Its not a matchup thing either, I just really like playing the guy.
That's cool, everyone else I know dropped Zod early because of his look/playstyle. Glad to hear someone in our community
is going to rep him... IMO: Powers of Shazam> Powers on 'N Sync.

Johnny2d

AK Pig Of The Hut I've tried your ideas and can't get them to work. It makes me question if gun on hit is really +15, also I've been trying them with meter burn gun which is listed as +26 on hit and I get closer to the result I want but not all the way. So here's what I've found.

-After 112 gun, they can easily crouch the Iazb. Also, shooting the slowball this close makes it so you don't have time to really move or even Iazc to mix them up that way.

-After 112 MB gun, I get much closer to making them block the Iazb, but I can't get it yet, maybe with more practice. I think you are still at the range here where you can't get to the other side of them in time for the semi-unblockable mixups. Also with mb gun you have more space and therefore more time to shoot the ball, then Iazc or attack them low but I don't know if its enough. You have more options, but is it worth the meter if you could have just done a b3 combo after the monster grab?

-After 112 gun, they have to block a ground laser, gun is +15 and MB Ground Blast is 15 startup (I'm by myself so I can't test a Superman Super to make sure this is true but if anyone wants to test it be my guest), you can meter burn it and it pushes them full screen if they were blocking. Or you can charge it or cancel it and dash in. The only trouble with this is that ending a combo in 123 gives you mostly the same options but of course you deal with the wakeups, so its a trade off. If they aren't blocking low after the gun the ground laser will hit and you can meter burn it and dash in for a juggle. Maybe this is the best possible use for this mid screen?

-I still like the 'anti anti air' set ups I showed to allow free jump ins, and being able to get good damage after 11d2 or 123 and also 213 is good because that gives you some overheads to hit with. But it does look like you are sacrificing a few % of damage to leave them standing with guns, and you aren't ending the combo in 123 which might give better options. None the less, its another mixup that he can use.

-If you do my first combo here but want to do a b3 instead of the leaves standing version, you can sneak in a parry after the monster grab, and before your b3. Why not build a little meter? This seems to be higher damage than doing a charge ground laser. Get the free meter, use b3. You can end the combo with 123 and use slow ball, charge ground laser, cancel the laser and dash in, cancel the laser and dash out, meter burn the laser... the world is your oyster.

-This appears to be godlike in the corner. Basically enough advantage to press anything you want. Mid screen it remains an option. I'd love to see some people find more things to do with it.

Johnny2d

More stuff!!! Xbox live was down today so I spent another whole day in the lab and found a few more things. The first combo just ends with a standard b3 into set up like a lot of the other bnbs I've seen but I mix in a parry mid combo for more meter. The second two are corner shenanigans inspired by a trick I would use with Shazam, basically some specials leave the opponent right at your feet in the corner after knockdown, Zod's bf3 MB does this perfectly and it allows you to mix up what side you want to be on when they get up. The first version of this I jump up making Zod land behind the opponent, the second version of this I use a bnb low starter, you could also go for an overhead here for even more mind games.

#1. A little extra meter by using parry mid combo.
j4, j2, 11d2, 4, d2, d4, PARRY, b3, j2, 123, set up of choice

#2. Corner shenanigans 01
j4, j2, 11d2, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 123, bf3 MB... j3, 123 bf2
(Jumping puts you on the other side of him after the MB bf3) 51% damage +the set up

#3. Corner shenanigans 02
j4, j2, 11d2, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 123, bf3 MB... f21u2, db1 slow, j2, db1 mid, 123, set up of choice
51% damage +the set up

In the corner combos you can start however you'd like, the important part I'm showing is ending in bf3MB to set them at your feet for a set up.

AK Pig Of The Hut