What's new

Strategy - Johnny Cage JOHNNY CAGE CORNER GAMEPLAY PART 1: ALL VARIATIONS

n1kosh

Train harder
Hi all!
Recently I thought that johnny has a great potential for the game near the corner. If you look closely, he has quite a good set of tools for this.
First, I describe the basic tools on midscreen:
1. :l:r4
Players usually finish combo on midscreen with Nut punch. But since we want to throw the opponent into the corner, then you need to end your combo using Shadow kick :l:r4. After use RC to reduce the distance.
Also you need to use EX:l:r4 when your opponent tries to use zoning.
Shadow kick - best option to wall gameplay. Quick recovery, good hit advantage.
2. :r244 combo (HIT ADV 46)
Has similar features with shadow kick. Use that as combo end'er on midscreen.
3. :l2
Use that only combo end'er.
Second tools (CORNER)
1. Distance. Johnny's :r3, :r2, :d4 have good range. Need to try, keep your distance for these moves, because it is easy to jump Johnny close.
2. :d
4 - Good range(best Johnny's low) Use :d4 :d4 :d4 :d4 to deceive the opponent, then use :r24
3. :l:d3 Combo end'er near the corner. I think here don't need to explain.
4. :r
24,:d1 main combo starter
Combos

http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-official-johnny-cage-combo-thread.51325/ thanks guys ;)

If the opponent tries to jump you

when opponent jumps near you :d4
when opponent jumps on distance :r3, :r2, :d4 to you, use :d2

If anyone has ideas, please write in this thread. Help make Johnny stronger.

Last edited:

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
Can a mod move this thread over to Komedy Central where it belongs?
dont worry its not ra helios' secondary account his 1st language isnt english. Nikosh i dont agree with most of it though but the anti air and i would never end in f244 or b2 and espescially not bf4 they put the opponent too far away and they are all tech rollable.

n1kosh

Train harder
dont worry its not ra helios' secondary account his 1st language isnt english. Nikosh i dont agree with most of it though but the anti air and i would never end in f244 or b2 and espescially not bf4 they put the opponent too far away and they are all tech rollable.
any ideas?

n1kosh

Train harder
I agree that stunt double has great corner. But what I described in this thread, it's not all I wanted to say. You can start a combo on midscreen, and to finish in the corner. This advantage Stunt Double :p :)

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I decieve my opponents with d4,d4,d4 all the time. Usually 3 reps is enough to make them quit, but if the opponent is too tough I sneak in another. Instant quitality.
:DOGE No I don't.

n1kosh

Train harder
Just d4 his best low option. If he had F2 13 frames startup, he would be much stronger. Or his 113 wouldn't "-" on hit.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Best corner carry will probably be ending something in a EX nutpunch in order to juggle mid screen. Not ending combos in nutpunches can potentially lose the match. I would never send Sub Zero full screen even if it was to place him in the corner. Being close at all times is very important for Johnny due to his little pressence full screen. Guys like Liu Kang can actually use projectiles to challenge many of the cast.

Stunt Double has decent corner carry however, even when you end in nutpunch.

PlateOfWater

Aaaaaarrfff
I can see where you're coming from but it's just not good trying to blast your opponents into the corner.

Of course the wall is important in this game but I feel as if Johnny doesn't revolve around it. It helps obviously but he can create his own kind of pressure by utilising the nut punch.

The gameplan for Johnnys is stay in their face, give them a little kiss, rub toes with your opponent, rinse and repeat. Nut punch is always a must for ending your combos as you stay close to your opponent and it gives you more frames for you to kiss them some more. Just seems a bit silly opening the opponent up to then hitting them as far away as possible just so you can try achieve corner pressure. You're giving them options to retaliate and that's no good. Ending with f244 near the corner seems unorthodoxboxdoxboxdox to me as I occasionally just use it for a minor mix up and not for screen push.

If you're looking for wall carry potential then SD is where it's at. Just make sure to fill at correct times as some people do love a kiss from multiple Johnny's at once. <3

n1kosh

Train harder
I forgot to write that f244 combo end'er on midscreen. Updated now.