What's new

Jax Gameplay Videos (with breakdown)

Cew

Noob
CrazyDominican Jr's Jax. Best Jax I've seen.
Happens to be almost the only one I've ever seen, as well.
Doh.

He plays against Noob(Hitoshura) right off the bat, and then he plays again at 1:53 against Sub Zero(Dark Rob), which runs into Part 2 for a while, where he switches to Sonya, then eventually Smoke.

http://www.justin.tv/kombatnetwork/b/289715077

Kombos

His primary combos are (f4,1,4) and (b1,2,4xxDash Punch). He also mixes in Elbow Smashes , Gotcha Grabs, and Dash Punches frequently. Against Sub Zero I saw (f4,1,3x2) in the corner once.

Off of juggle state, he does (dash1x3,1,2xxDash Punch), and in the corner (1,1,12, 12xxElbow Smash, Ex Ground Pound, but never connects his down jab after the Pound). Down jab seems to be his main "launcher", catching opponents as they try to jump. CD Jr also starts occasionally off of the Ground Pound, (namely the Ex one after a small combo on opponent wake up), and air to air punches.

I don't think I saw any combo go over 30%, (excluding ExRay), though there are times the damage from the knockdown combo + the combo after Ex Ground Pound goes over 30%.

Ground Pound

CD Jr cancels the ground pound like it's going out of style. The most frequent Ground Pound cancels were into jumping punch and Dash Punch. Changing it up between letting the Pound ride and cancelling into anti-air treats him very well. On successful Pound hits at mid screen, he dash Dash Punches as the follow up.

General

Ex Dash Punch is used to close space through projectiles and get in close to start pressure, even if it doesn't connect. Getting inside the zoners comfort zone means more than connecting every time. Also, by Dash Punching from different distances, you become harder to read.

Throws out energy waves occasionally for chip, meter, bait, and to disrupt zoner advantage. Not over or under doing it is a fine art.

Jump kicks end with Air Throw. Always.

Lots of poking with primarily neutral 1, d1, and d4.

His wake-ups are Dash Punch and Ex Elbow Smash.

Footnotes

Thanks go out to CD Jr for being boss, and being the straw that finally broke the camels back for me to pick up the character. I hope I get to see him play more Jax.

Big thanks also to evansgambit for his thread for breaking down REO's Johnny Cage. Without it, I wouldn't have thought of making this thread.
http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?7584-Examing-REO-s-Johnny-Cage

More thanks go out to Valley Stream Monsters for all of their streams. I've yet to catch one live, but it's bound to happen one of these days.
http://www.justin.tv/kombatnetwork/videos

For the love of god, someone win a major with Jax and get your steak dinner from Tom Brady.
http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1/videos

A few notes on the breakdown:

1,2,1 isn't a combo; it's 1,2,3, and I never saw him do it. And the third combo's the one with the overhead.

Also, I never saw him use EX Overhead Smash on wake-up... but if he did, why?

"Getting inside the zoners comfort zone means more than connecting every time."
17% and untechable, directed knockdown leads me to disagree, but it's preference I suppose.

Some things I noticed:

He's using (dash1x3, 1,2xxDash Punch), I think to get the opponent to the corner more quickly than Gotcha Grab, but perhaps just to make sure that it connects... I can tell he doesn't trust his execution much since he's losing one or two jabs (though I do find it odd that he wants that extra jab before the corner Overhead Smash), so it might be the latter, but he seems to really want the opponent in the corner more than anything, even sacrificing better midscreen positioning.
Examples: Even when nearly in the center of the stage, he chooses to use the forward throw after EX Dash Punch instead of the back throw because it moves him slightly more towards the corner, but sacrificed a bit of positioning. He also sacrificed the untechable knockdown and better oki off (dash1x3, 1,2 xx Air Gotcha Grab) in favor of the Dash Punch ender, again, I'm assuming, for proximity to the corner. Same reasoning goes for using b+1,2,4 xx Dash Punch instead of the faster, more damaging (midscreen) (also hits crouch-blockers on first hit) 2,f+2,b+1 xx Air Gotcha Grab, though it could just be that the latter string is not as safe on block.

He's primarily going for the EX Ground Pound loop in the corner, but he keeps dropping the jab after the Ground Pound.

I'm finding his consistent use of f+4,1,4 over f+4,1,3 a bit odd, considering he never used f+4,1 xx Overhead Smash (which is impossible on crouchers anyway), so the mix-up was/is non-existent and f+4,1,3 would be better on block and hit, especially in the corner, where he could (but chose not to) follow-up with the EX Ground Pound loop.

He started the 1,2 xx Gotcha blockstring a few times, but he only does it once midscreen before going for a mix-up and twice in the corner before going for a mix-up; not bothering with the block infinite. I get the impression he feels it's too cheesy to use the blockstring.

NO Air Gotcha Grabs at all, save one that was accidentally performed against Noob. Vastly prefers uppercut, I'm assuming for the larger vertical hitbox, because Air Gotcha Grab switches sides and offers better oki and invulnerability to aerial attacks.

Uses EX Overhead Smash when cornered... anyone have a clue why? To avoid d+3/4? And it's only a couple frames faster than the non-EX version... Clueless on this one.

Also noticed he tried to use dj.3/4 a few times before landing on a projectile... perhaps an attempt to shift his hitbox out of the way? Should be using the additional airtime provided by whiffed air-throw to do that.

And does he not know about the 5th/6th slams on Jax's throw?

Cew

Noob
A few notes on the breakdown:

1,2,1 isn't a combo; it's 1,2,3, and I never saw him do it. And the third combo's the one with the overhead.
Updated. I saw a 3 quick punch string a bunch of times in there, but didn't have a chance to test out (1,2,1). Hopefully will be checking it later tonight.

Also, I never saw him use EX Overhead Smash on wake-up... but if he did, why?
I thought he was using it on wakeup in the corner, but I could be wrong. I have no idea why.

"Getting inside the zoners comfort zone means more than connecting every time."
17% and untechable, directed knockdown leads me to disagree, but it's preference I suppose.
I prefer to hit them with it myself, but that's the only reason I can see him using the punch at ranges it would obviously whiff.

Some things I noticed:

He's using (dash1x3, 1,2xxDash Punch)

He's primarily going for the EX Ground Pound loop in the corner, but he keeps dropping the jab after the Ground Pound.

NO Air Gotcha Grabs at all, save one that was accidentally performed against Noob. Vastly prefers uppercut, I'm assuming for the larger vertical hitbox, because Air Gotcha Grab switches sides and offers better oki and invulnerability to aerial attacks.
Updated.

I seem to have a hard time actually grabbing people with Air Gotcha Grab. He may be shooting for consistency. Also, not being his main character, he's probably sticking with what he knows and is already good at.

Cew

Noob
Ty for the replies. Hopefully we can spur some even better Jax players to post some videos. He seems to be hurting pretty bad in the "good players to watch play him" category.