What's new

Tech - Sub-Zero Jailing 50/50 After X-Ray on Block

REO

Undead
Not sure if this is known by everyone but Sub-Zero can get a free 50/50 attempt after your opponent blocks his X-Ray. Usually every time I see a Sub-Zero player do their X-Ray on block, they go for a D+4, F+4,2 string, or back dash. I assume it's because the frame data for this attack is listed as "0" even though that's wrong and it's not. Sub-Zero's X-Ray on block is at least +19 giving you enough time to go for a guaranteed 50/50 attempt.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Not that X-ray gets used particularly much, but this is still a good way to take advantage of having it blocked. This tech is far more valuable against characters with small hitboxes (so females) however, because against those B33~Iceball connects while it does not against (most) male characters.

REO

Undead
Not that X-ray gets used particularly much, but this is still a good way to take advantage of having it blocked. This tech is far more valuable against characters with small hitboxes (so females) however, because against those B33~Iceball connects while it does not against (most) male characters.
Agreed. It also can be pretty good in the corner.

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
I didn't even know about this. The AI smacked me in the face with Sub-Zero's overhead after I blocked his X-Ray and I could've sworn I tried backdashing out. It's kinda important to know and can save you in tournament one day.
Is there a special reason you play against AI? Good find man, that´s kinda like Reptile X-Ray (which is +7 on block if the frame data is right).

Reactions: REO
Nice , Good find man , I should also add that when sub has "paused" his xray any projectile you do upclose will get frozen and you'll get hit.

Lokheit

Noob
Fun fact:

Not only can Sub-Zero "run cancel" his X-Ray for a combo, he can also use it as a parry, backdash and start a combo where he can freeze A SECOND TIME.

All variations can get more damage from the X-Ray this way in the corner (including your typical end of the combo clone setup for GM) and Cryomancer can get more damage even midscreen (the penalty on the X-Freeze is 0.9).

Not that you're going to use X-Ray too much, specially with this character, but the more you know...

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Agreed. It also can be pretty good in the corner.
Considering Sub thrives in the corner, which isn't meter dependent, and mid screen his goal is to put you in the corner, this can actually be a viable use of meter. Typically Sub Zeros would opt to hold the freeze to see if it hit before letting go, then backdashing/letting it rip subsequently. Utilizing the X-Ray as a method of parrying a counter poke or some kind of button in this manner could be another means of initiating a 50/50 or hitting an opponent with an X-Ray if you read a poke.

I mean, when you look at a lot of footage of Sub Zero play, and when I play Sub Zero myself, it's very common to have a full stick of butter, especially while you're cornering someone. Obviously isn't going to be an instant go-to whenever you've got the bar, but it's enough of an option for your opponent to keep in mind, and a method to open them up.

Sub Zero making his opponent scared to act is also something he's been doing for years

So in a way, this tech is canon.

Last edited:
Wow. I always held xray. If they were blocking I would cancel into a dash and go for a throw. Going to just let them block it now. Nice find.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I play against AI sometimes to see how they deal with certain situations. They've always given me ideas.
Yeah I usually play AI when I'm burned out and bored in any fighter I play because you can see how/what the AI does to punish or interrupt stuff. Some things are impossible to do as it required "Computer timing" but it still lets you see some stuff and expand on it on occasion. Good stuff.

Lokheit

Noob
Apparently the block advantage isn't the only frame data that is wrong with the Deep Freeze X-Ray.

The start up says "12 frames" but I'm testing right now and it seems to be around EX Crushing Hammer (28 frames) speed. It's slower than the Ice Burst (23 frames) that's for sure as more strings can combo into Ice Burst than into X-Ray (and everything that can combo into EX Hammer can combo into X-Ray and viceversa, it could still be some frames up or down from that one).

Probably the 12 frames are the "parry stance" start up and the "0" block advantage is counting the parry instead of the hit.

EDIT: After some testing and trying to find the right move that would hit punish one or the other but not both, I can confirm that the difference with Crushing Hammer is of just 1 frame and Deep Freeze has a start up of 27 when you're not hoding it

F33 into any of them eats a punish hit from Reptile's Klaw Slash which is 18 frames, both of them hit before D'Vorah's Oviposotor Rush which is 20 frames, and only the hammer gets hit by Scorpion's Double Spear and its 19 frames, meaning Deep Freeze is 1 frame faster than Crushing Hammer for 27 frames.

Last edited: