What's new

It's Morphing Time!

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I learned the whole roster and I'm decent with Shang stand alone moves. All I want here is morphing strategy, combos that end in morph and set ups for morph.
Thanks in advance.

Depends if you want to use meter for the combo, or save the meter for the character you are morphing into I suppose.

Something like F4, 3, 4 medium ground skull, far ground skull, enhanced ground skull close ground skull, dash, soul steal to keep them standing granting them no wakeup attack and leaving them at slight disadvantage while remaining somewhat close enough to press your advantage.

B2 into soul steal is an overhead starter for soulsteal...completely safe on block too

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
b2, soul steal <-- overhead
f3, soul steal. <--- low, second ss hit is blockable.
midscreen:
f4,3,4, ground mid, ground far, ground ex, ground close, ss. You can add a dash and a 1,2 or f4,3 but it'll do the same damage. I like to use it against unexperienced players so they break it there and waste the meter. Otherwise, unblockable is better.
2,2,1, ground close, gruond mid, ground ex, ground close, ss. Best and most damaging unblockable setup I believe.

Personally, I don't recommend f3, 4 starter because its too risky. b1,2,1,4 's last 1 is an overhead, but it's only good in the corner imo.

corner:
2,2,1, ground close, jK, f4,3,4, soul steal
f4,3,4, ground close, jk, f4,3,4, soul steal.
b1,2,1, ground close, jk, f4,3,4 soul steal. - you can do b1,2,1,4 but you gotta be slightly faster. since it juggles twice and gravity scales.

close to corner:
2,2,1, ground mid, dash, f4,3,4, ground close, f4,3 soul steal
f4,3,4, ground mid, dash, f4,3,4 ground close, f4,3 soul steal - something among these lines. these are also most damaging meterless combos for shang.

anti air
njp, 1, f4,3 mid ground skull, soul steal - 28%
d1, 1, f4,3, mid ground skull, soul steal - 25%
1, f4,3, mid ground skull, soul steal - 23%
1,2, dash, f4,3, soul steal 22%
1, dash, 1,2 dash 1,2 dash f4,3 soul steal 22%
d1, dash, 1,2, dash, 1,2, dash, f4,3 soul steal - 21%
1, dash, 1,2, dash 1,2, soul steal - 20%

bolded ones are best/easier/most reliable imo.

footsies setups
d1, or d3 into close ground skull for frame trap. if ground skull hits, soul steal.

Ok yes you can do that combo listed above...just add a 12 instead of just dashing.
Some people might be prone to breaking the 1, 2...which would be beneficial to Shang as it causes the opponent to waste 2 bars of meter for that 1% extra damage. Though the knockdown from the breaker causes Shang to lose his momentum, he fails to get the soul steal, and he is put in a defensive position since his wakeups are pretty much non-existent. Shang has a very difficult time getting some characters off of him. Pros and cons to it, so it is all preference...