What's new

General/Other It doesn't feel like I am getting better

So I have been playing games with bane and other characters but mostly bane. I was in the practice room for hours today trying to work out bane combos and such.. I work out all these cool combos and then I go online and can't do any of them in the heat of battle. It all falls apart because people play odd in this game. Like people deliberately back to the edges of stages just so they can throw objects and what not.

Its also really annoying playing bane against a character with projectiles. Your only hope is to use the charge which is very punishable right? most people just jump over it. It doesn't help either that all of banes EX moves are just bonus damage and doesn't change the properties of the moves at all. You can't even use any of banes EX moves without hitting the move first.

What are some fundamentals I am missing? It seems like characters similar to batman, night wing, cat woman just POOP out combos. Very easily. I rarely do combos as bane. I mostly just rely on venom dose 3 and body splash into low kicks or something. Help me.

His charge with 3 stacks of Venom has armor

Just keep practicing. If you can't do the same combo 10 times in a row that means you don't fully have it down.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I know exactly how you feel. I don't use Bane, but I certainly know what it's like to feel like a rockstar in training and feeling like a total noob idiot in an actual battle. A few years ago, in MK9, I use to solely focus on doing combos on my opponents...error number one. You have to play footsies, be patient, and just have the mindset of attack/zoning and or waiting to punish whiffed attacks etc., et.,

I would suggest getting out of the mindset of "MUST DO COMBOS CONSTANTLY", and just focus on openings...setting up certain situations and so on and so on. What I like to do with a new character is learn some basic combos and there normals and just try to win matches using what I call "basic combat". Then, once you get a feel for said character...you will have more confidence and you will react appropriately during a match.

Spletty

Grandmaster
Dropping combos in a match is nerves, you'll conquer that soon. End his combos with dbf+heavy instead of air grab if you haven't and keep on them. Use his jumping down+heavy body splash and b23 combo starter. You'll get there bud. I haven't lost with bane yet lol

Komatose

The Prettiest
Use your Venom to get around projectiles. You can inflict a lot more damage to them with two level three Venom charges than they could do to you with chip damage while you wait for your Venom to refill. Also, if you think they are going to jump forward for a stage interaction, jump forward and body press them and jump to use it on them or just keep jumping back until they throw it. It could hit or miss depending on how you time your jump. Bane is a really good footsies character imo. Wait to see what your opponent does. If they like to jump, AA grab them. If they like to poke/low poke, Body Press them for a full combo. Just take your time. A lot of people like to just rush rush rush and attack and that often causes people to lose the game in my experience thus far in Injustice. Well, they lose against me playing like that, anyway...

Use your Venom to get around projectiles. You can inflict a lot more damage to them with two level three Venom charges than they could do to you with chip damage while you wait for your Venom to refill. Also, if you think they are going to jump forward for a stage interaction, jump forward and body press them and jump to use it on them or just keep jumping back until they throw it. It could hit or miss depending on how you time your jump. Bane is a really good footsies character imo. Wait to see what your opponent does. If they like to jump, AA grab them. If they like to poke/low poke, Body Press them for a full combo. Just take your time. A lot of people like to just rush rush rush and attack and that often causes people to lose the game in my experience thus far in Injustice. Well, they lose against me playing like that, anyway...

hmm... I will try this. My main problem when I play bane is that I whiff attacks all the time. I don't know how to punish people correctly. I also have a jumping addiction. I am always jumping and trying to body press. I feel so slow when I am just walking and anytime I try to dash, I end up dashing into my opponents hit.

Komatose

The Prettiest
hmm... I will try this. My main problem when I play bane is that I whiff attacks all the time. I don't know how to punish people correctly. I also have a jumping addiction. I am always jumping and trying to body press. I feel so slow when I am just walking and anytime I try to dash, I end up dashing into my opponents hit.
Jumping a lot is not good practice, however, jumping and Body Pressing along with your jump is good business especially if your opponent doesn't want to block it for whatever reason. Although I do know Bane combos and tactics, I do not know really how to necessarily punish certain things because I do not know nor do I pay attention to his frame data since he is not my main. But as for poking, you should do a lot of that. His d1 has good range and it's pretty fast. I use that and d3 a lot so I can cross them up with a Body Press and it really does mindfuck a lot of newbies. And as for dashing, I wouldn't recommend it. Bane has a very good dash imo. Good range. Fast. This could also get you in trouble. Like you said, you often end up dashing into your opponent. So if you do that, try not to dash a lot, whether you feel like you're slow or not if you do, dashing will cause you to take damage if you are always accidentally dashing into your opponents attacks. Like I said, stay ground-based and AA a lot. If they don't jump. Poke, Body Press, Level three Venom, GGs. :D

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Don't always lead in with bodysplash, for one. Despite it being our best air answer, your real best approaches happen after they hit the ground, which will be b.2 and f.2d which are low and overhead, and to my knowledge both are cancelable into super moves. Bane isn't a combo character, plain and simple he is a "read and lead" or "oki and yomi" machine. Your entire premise is to punish people for their choices, using your high damage mix-ups to start a guessing game.

For example, as Bane one knockdown should be your doorway. Be it off of a charge or anything, make use of it. Get in close, toss out something like b.21 and watch their reaction to it. Since b.21 is safe on block, worst case scenario your opponent blocks it. Now your opponent is going to want to block low on wake-up, so on your next knockdown toss out f.2d into cgrab. Now your opponent has to decide if they want to block low or high. Chanses are they may choose neither and simply jump away. If thats the case, hit them with a venom upper or a ring toss. Now jumping away isn't an option, so maybe they decide they want to punish you for it or tech roll away. Hit them with a venom charge to eat through both.

All the while you are doing these simple guessing games, you are dealing out much much more damage than the opponent due to your venom boosts. I wouldn't advise going over 2, sometimes not even over 1. However, end of the match if you happen to have three bars then by all means if you can land that b.23 22 then pop it out and chug down that juice box for some free 60%~ close out damage. Your biggest problem is going to be getting that first knockdown, but if you play your cards right you should be able to dominate and control the pace of the match that way.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Also, Body Press is really good considering that trading is hard to accomplish with this move. Rarely will anyone ever hit you out of it or trade with it even if they are trying to.

Jumping a lot is not good practice, however, jumping and Body Pressing along with your jump is good business especially if your opponent doesn't want to block it for whatever reason. Although I do know Bane combos and tactics, I do not know really how to necessarily punish certain things because I do not know nor do I pay attention to his frame data since he is not my main. But as for poking, you should do a lot of that. His d1 has good range and it's pretty fast. I use that and d3 a lot so I can cross them up with a Body Press and it really does mindfuck a lot of newbies. And as for dashing, I wouldn't recommend it. Bane has a very good dash imo. Good range. Fast. This could also get you in trouble. Like you said, you often end up dashing into your opponent. So if you do that, try not to dash a lot, whether you feel like you're slow or not if you do, dashing will cause you to take damage if you are always accidentally dashing into your opponents attacks. Like I said, stay ground-based and AA a lot. If they don't jump. Poke, Body Press, Level three Venom, GGs. :D
what is good practice to move between projectiles? I noticed that characters like green arrow will just sit back and then when I charge they will leap over me and attack me. This is especially annoying when bane is in venom withdrawal mode.

Komatose

The Prettiest
what is good practice to move between projectiles? I noticed that characters like green arrow will just sit back and then when I charge they will leap over me and attack me. This is especially annoying when bane is in venom withdrawal mode.
If your opponent is not flowchart, it becomes a guessing game with their projectiles. Do not dash, for one. Or you will get hit. Walk in. Venom level one. Play with their head a little bit, no homo. Jump when you need to. Eventually they will find themselves in a corner. If you time a Venom Level x and Bane Train at the right time, you'll catch them. It's all in the timing. That's all I can really give you. I have beaten a handful of Deathstrokes and Green Arrows with Bane. It wasn't very challenging imo. Lol.

Spletty

Grandmaster
I always wait to use venom until their first bar is gone. Then when it's halfway done with the second, I activate first venom, wait until that's low then activate 2nd, wait til that's low and activate 3rd. I never just mash trait til it's level 3. You can really stretch it out the other way.

Spletty

Grandmaster
Bane is a solid ass character. I'm gonna be bold and say top 10. Then again apparently like 22 characters are top 10 lol