What's new

Is the PS4 d-pad better than Xbox One's for Mortal Kombat?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Get an arcade stick. Learn it...never look back. You will thank me for this advice in the future. Pads were never meant for fighting games...period.
No matter how much I try, I just can't play MK on a stick.
The button layout is just too awkward.

Hell I don't even like the traditional "MK" layout.

Noob
As said the D-Pad is better on the Xbone. It is personal preference at the end of day. But mechanically it is designed better.

I would say if you are focused on fighters then get a pad designed for them.

Other than that the triggers on the Xbone controller are much nicer as well. And the rounded edges of the outside buttons feel a lot nicer. I find I get a sore edge on my right thumb when I use the DS4 controller for more than a few hours when playing fighters.
The extra bulk of the Xbone controller seems to fit my totally average sized hands much nicer. And I find the handles on the DS4 to be a bit short.
And of course there is the squeaky weak plastic. The DS4 feels like it can be twisted into a pretzel if you get rough with it. Haha, salty pretzel.

PS... Sorry if this is a double post. My TYM is on the frits and crashes when I try post.

Noob
No matter how much I try, I just can't play MK on a stick.
The button layout is just too awkward.

Hell I don't even like the traditional "MK" layout.

I find a fight stick great for MKX. The standard layout is a bit awkward if you don't do things like play piano or type with all your fingers. But it gets easier over time. The traditional MK layout is just a gimmick to make the cabinets look cool. But a lot of players set their fight sticks up that way. I personally have changed to what I have found to be the most comfortable personally. I shift all my buttons over two to the right. The shoulder buttons then come back on the left of the layout. So my thumb does the throwing, interactables blocking and such.

Makes it super easy to meter burn as well. Just make sure you do a button check after setting it up. A quick one.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I find a fight stick great for MKX. The standard layout is a bit awkward if you don't do things like play piano or type with all your fingers. But it gets easier over time. The traditional MK layout is just a gimmick to make the cabinets look cool. But a lot of players set their fight sticks up that way. I personally have changed to what I have found to be the most comfortable personally. I shift all my buttons over two to the right. The shoulder buttons then come back on the left of the layout. So my thumb does the throwing, interactables blocking and such.

Makes it super easy to meter burn as well. Just make sure you do a button check after setting it up. A quick one.
I would have a lot better time with stick if the game let me set multiple buttons to the same function.

So like

FP BP BLK
FK BK BLK

But the game forces you to keybind the macro buttons, which I don't even use.

Noob
If you had block on two buttons it would mean you loose something else. Give it a try having

XXX FP BP
Block FK BK

Substituting XXX to whatever you would like there. That way block is right where your thumb would typically sitting. Start with that and fill in the other buttons as you find them more comfortable positions.