What's new

Question Is "Spamming" a valid tool or just plain dumb?

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
This question may seem so simple to ask but I am sure the answer is going to be much more complicated than that. Okay so here is why I am asking this:

I was my main character and variation "Erron Black (Outlaw)". This player was Kenshi (Balanced). I wish I knew this match up before our game began but I didn't. So being the cowboy who can't zone with that variation, I got constantly stuffed and zoned out by Kenshi's spirit attacks. I knew nothing about Kenshi's gameplay at all but I was thinking... "Wow, this guy can just win the game with one special move!" He won round one! I got used to Deathstroke, but nothing like this fast tracking move!

Second round I tried to pull myself together. I actually got him back and cornered him into the wall with tarkatan stab, caltrops, and some combos and pressure of "Nope"! Then the third round, we somehow switched sides and he got back his distance. He won the game with his special attacks!

Alright, so in other words, I got zoned out by Kenshi's spirit attacks and I did not know what to do except be kept away! Now in the next game I switched into my second main Quan Chi (Warlock). Yes I counter picked, thats actually what I did. In the next few games, I forced him to come to me all the time he would use his special moves. I did this by pressing forward 3.

For those who don't know Quan chi (warlock) forward 3, it basically has him kick through a portal. The end of the kick appears behind the opponent from the ground. This move tracks the opponent from anywhere (as long as the opponent is on the ground). It only works at far or middle distance. It starts up pretty fast for what it actually does. Its not even a special move, its a normal attack!
I did that move over and over again until he would come into me. So I won the next few games because I forced him to come into me. I stopped doing forward 3. I was not mindlessly doing it, I only pressed forward 3 only when I needed to do it. I did some combos (some of which were unnecessarily flashy but dealt really good damage for its worth). The Kenshi player could play a decent close up game, but I just so happened to utilize my character's tools more. Plus Im not sure if anyone knows Quan Chi warlock match up because those are so rare to find online.

So basically, I switched into a character designed to counter zoners or so called "spammers!" because I was frustrated at being zoned out by a Kenshi player while I was Erron Black Outlaw. Sure Erron Black can get ridiculous when he is up close any character, but what I am really wondering is this:

Was that Kenshi player "spamming"? Or was I just too damn frustrated to keep playing a non counter zoning character?​

If special moves were all it took for the kenshi player to win then he was playing correctly. No need to stop doing what's working.
By switching characters to one you felt more comfortable with, that was also smart play.

I personally define spamming as someone who literally does only one special but that would only be effective if that move was insanely OP. Kenshi doesn't have a special he can just "spam", all of his specials are either -7 or more (except demon slice, it's actually +6), you were probably just frustrated and weren't thinking clearly.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
No one is spamming anything, its up to you to figure it out how to bypass zoning.

Kenshi is a Zoning character in Balanced variation, that is what he was designed to do, to Zone, you counter picking with Warlock is only natural, because that is what Warlock was designed to do, to Counter-Zone, to ease up the MU so you won't get rekt using a character rushdown character.

Rushdown is supposed to be weak against zoning, Zoning is supposed to be weak against counter zoning, and Counter Zoning is supposed to be weak against rushdown.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Its just plain smart to keep using track on someone who can't duck it. Do you blame him?

But the phrase "gettiing zoned by kensh in mkx" is a logically incoherent statement, like a square circle or enjoyable anime and you got some practicing to do.

Last edited:

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
I personally define spamming as someone who literally does only one special but that would only be effective if that move was insanely OP. Kenshi doesn't have a special he can just "spam", all of his specials are either -7 or more (except demon slice, it's actually +6), you were probably just frustrated and weren't thinking clearly.
That first round I did give up midway and just wanted to take the second round which I did. I knew I could not get anywhere near him with my lack of MU. I faced Possessed Kenshi before, that was pretty hard. But then again, I am a cowboy who can't pull out his guns faster than how fast i could pull out sand.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
That first round I did give up midway and just wanted to take the second round which I did. I knew I could not get anywhere near him with my lack of MU. I faced Possessed Kenshi before, that was pretty hard. But then again, I am a cowboy who can't pull out his guns faster than how fast i could pull out sand.
all yuo need to do to get in on kenshi is patience, also respect the EX Rising karma then move in and punish, once you get in, kenshi has a hard time getting you out. kenshi is a pure zoner, and a pretty poor one at that, you make a right read on me close range, you get a 50/50 or a massive amount of damage, i read you correctly i get either 9% from a telefury of at most 34% bnb which to be honest it is tough to punich people with because it is slow as hell. he took advantage of you not knowing the match up, same thing i do actually, if someone doesnt know the match up i abuse the fuck out of it.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Trust me. He can't keep ANYONE out.

All his specials are like - 12 and worse.

Also his zoning can't track running targets half the time
no his telefury tracks really well, it is just when you EX it it loses its tracking, hence why i never use it, also it has no armor, 1 bar for an extra 4% raw is a waste of meter