What's new

Is Slayer the only player really playing MK11 how it is meant to be played?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
So I have been watching a LOT of the pro-scene recently in prep for Summit of Time..... Kombat Kup, Next Level Battle Circuit Summit of Time Qualifier. WNF Summit of Time Qualifier, NLBC, NapTown, and the E-League event. Players from all over including almost all of the big names in IJ1 and MKx.

But Slayer in the WNF Summit of Time Qualifier seemed to be doing stuff no one else was, even Sonic.

He was using flawless block like constantly and I mean constantly... catching down pokes, 2nd, 3rd hit on strings, wake ups, projectiles and then rushing in.. In all those hours of tourny play I haven't seen anyone play like this yet. He is short hopping all over the place as well.

Now I'm not saying he is the best player around... but it looks like he could be playing the game in a way it was designed to be played that most people are not doing.

I think it could be the future of MK11 right here... imagine after a while and everyone is doing this and I assume Slayer is only going to get better with these flawless blocks and hops.

Check out WNF Stream - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/419182278 (3:58:47 - Match Start)

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Flawless Block seems unnecessary when one can just poke out of these strings. Little risk is taken for one to get a 30% combo off of a gap in someone's string. Some characters in MK11 have gaps in most of their strings, so as the meta develops and Flawless Block becomes more heavily used, then x characters will fall out of favor.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So Im trying to implement hops here and there but the main times I want them to work, they don't.
Playing frost, if I hit confirm a poke, I dont have a mid that's fast enough to start my pressure so a lot of times I get poked right back. So in a perfect world, I would hop and do the overhead but mids like D1 still hit the hop, so its kinda useless in this situation. Ill sometimes do it in the corner but even then.

As for Flawless block, I reallllllllllly need to get better at interrupting opponent strings with them.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Shao Khan is the one I play the most.. he is so fun and even the guy getting beat loves the look of those meaty bashing combos

FB + launcher costs 1 meter of defensive bar, which means after that your defensive options are limited (1 wakeup/roll, no breakaway) and in same cases it could be a high risk. It also means you cannot do this everytime you want, you need that bar.

So far I really like this mechanic, it brings a lot of hype. And if it becomes op, you can always balance it by changing the defensive bar recharges.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
If anyone has played my Kitana, y’all know I’m always using her hop 2. It’s probably one of the best hop attacks in the game. The range is very deceptive.

Hops are pretty underrated right now imo
Yeah , Raiden Hop 4 has some incredible range on it too. I catch a lot of people with it

NOMAS

Noob
I think it may depend on the character you use. For Shao Kahn , he has mostly lows and very few overheads so I usually mix up grabs With Occasional short hop overhead to open em up. Its workin real nice
I do the same with Kano once I have them in the corner. Parry, command grab, fast combo starting low in F2, and safe overhead in F4 combined with short hops lead to some situations where the other guy doesn't know what to do. Working on delaying the short hop attacks for bootleg overhead feints to keep them guessing.

Might be gimmicky but it's something.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I use a hop attack’s in jacqui bc i like the arc of it but I hardly use it otherwise. Flawless block feels a lot like just guard in calibur which I hate bc just guard was the line of division of pro and casual

HAMMER

Noob
Slayer might act like a dummy; but, he's only seen that way 'cause it's captured on camera. We all act in an embarrassing way one time or another. I want to give him a tribute with this post 'cause he's why I picked up Kung Jin Shaolin in MKX and was wrecking fools into submission. Then they nerfed it with the last patch.

Kung Jin Shaolin was my favorite combination: Viable and brain-dead. The way I like it in fighters!!

Shout out to Relentless Jason and Imposter Shinnok, my other two mains. Brain-dead and viable as well!!

The last patch killed MKX for me. I used Shinnok Bone-Shaper and Jason Voorhees Relentless because they still stood strong (bar Shinnok not having the armored reversal with his HOOK 'N SINK pop-up), but without Kung Jin Shaolin it wasn't the same.