What's new

Invincibility frames not truly invincible?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Okay, we already know we have invincible frames on wakeup attacks and in other situations. But I've noticed something in training mode.

Okay, let's start with Reptile's X-Ray. His X-Ray has projectile invincibility throughout the entire time before the grabbing animation. Now, if you haven't noticed by now, when a projectile reaches Reptile during said invincibility, the projectile dissipates as though it hit him, almost like armor w/o damage taken.

What does this have to do with invincibility, you may be saying right now. Well, as you can see, the invincibility in that case is pretty much just a modified form of armor and not truly invincible in the traditional sense that the projectile should simply pass through with nothing happening to the projectile. However, this does not just apply to projectiles.

It applies to invincibility in general. All invincibility frames are simply armor frames that you do not take damage on and do not get the armor hit flash.

I noticed this a while ago, when I was in practice mode with Reptile, testing post-dash options. One tactic I came up with is throwing a fast forceball immediately after I hit with a dash, which, for the most part, cannot be countered when perfectly timed outside a few characters. With this sequence, if you perform a wakeup attack, the invincibility causes the forceball to disappear as though it contacted you.

I didn't think about this particular situation much, until I was testing an idea of an option select I had vs Scorpion. Because of how vulnerable Scorpion is on wakeup to generic lows (his wakeup attacks are EX spear and teleport), I had the idea with Reptile to do d4 with a buffered acid hand, followed by an immediate block. What is supposed to happen is that, if Scorpion chooses to teleport, the invincible frames would make d4 whiff, thus prevent the acid hand from coming out since it was just buffered...and you would recover in time to block the teleport, leaving him open for a full combo. When the AI finally decided to do teleport and I timed it right, I was pleasantly surprised at what happened. Acid hand came out as a cancel, even though Scorpion was clearly continuing his teleport! Serious wtf moment for a few seconds.

That's when I put two and two together. ALL invincibility frames are not truly invincible. They are simply modifications on the codes for armor. Now, what makes this such an impact is this...option selects like the one I attempted are impossible. It is literally no way to place those particular kinds of option selects on an opponent's wakeup.

I must say, I don't know if NRS was just being lazy fucks or it was intentional, but this is probably the most ingenious way to keep certain characters from being utterly destroyed on wakeup.

xQCBx

HxC Femme-Fatale
Not as interesting as I thought. But it is invicibility just in the form of armor. Look's cooler that way anyway.