What's new

Intros/outros - taking a cue from Overwatch?

thesacrifist

Too old for this
Does anyone know if NRS plans to support the game with a steady stream of downloadable and unlockable intros, outros, brutalities, fatalities, end of round taunts, skins and other cosmetics? They obviously built the system for it, but as far as I know they didn't want to do anything similar to lootboxes.

Ed said in the interview with Angry Joe (man what an annoying person) that he "wouldn't be angry" at the way they would handle microtransactions and DLC in MK11, but didn't go into more detail as far as I could hear.

I'd be totally down for this - take my money etc.

thesacrifist

Too old for this
I would like to see unlockable Fatal Blows, which could also be swapped out just like intros/outros. Since we’ll be seeing these supers more often than in previous games, it’d be great to see some variety.
Yes that would be nice, but I'm guessing fatal blows are the most difficult to do if they're adamant on charging just for cosmetics, unless you make sure the start attack of them is identical framewise and hit/hurtbox-wise as the original, and the knockdown makes you end up in the exact same place on the screen etc. Obviously well within their reach to do, but a hurdle which might stifle creativity.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
As someone, who has put 1400 hours into Overwatch... After a certain while you simply stop caring about intros, outros, emotes and so on. Personally I'd rather the developers spent their time on skins than animations.

It's far more likely for me to pick up a character due to a new and awesome skin, than just a new fatality.

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
As someone, who has put 1400 hours into Overwatch... After a certain while you simply stop caring about intros, outros, emotes and so on. Personally I'd rather the developers spent their time on skins than animations.

It's far more likely for me to pick up a character due to a new and awesome skin, than just a new fatality.
Not the same people working on skins as working on animations. The only overlap is budget. I have over a thousand hours on OW as well, and I say the more of both the merrier.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Intros and Fatalities are already changeable. There is an option for them in the customise sections. I do not think you can change FB though. I expect you unlock them by playing and like IJ2 they will add new ones to towers and stuff as the game goes on.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Not the same people working on skins as working on animations. The only overlap is budget.
Budget and schedules. The people usually working on the animation, are most likely working on Injustice 3 right now. Creating animation for the story, new characters, new moves and so on takes a lot of time, so I have my doubts, that they really have the time and the manwomanpower to produce more fatalities and other animations for DLC.

While at the same time when a game is pretty much done and is being polished, playtested and balanced, skin artists usually sit around - and their time is better spent on additional DLC skins.

Actually I love my animations a lot. But I think it’s just personal preference!

Actually I love my animations a lot. But I think it’s just personal preference!

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Intros and Fatalities are already changeable. There is an option for them in the customise sections. I do not think you can change FB though. I expect you unlock them by playing and like IJ2 they will add new ones to towers and stuff as the game goes on.
Fatalities and Brutalities were in the customization menu, but weren’t selectable like everything else was. Just descriptions and showing which ones were unlocked. They could be there just for that purpose. I don’t think I’d like having to choose between different fatalities. Finishers don’t affect gameplay, so they should all be available.

DDustiNN

intros were also there.
I know, but they were selectable. Finishers had no such distinction.

Another difference is that finishers have specific inputs, so that’s how you choose what to see. Not the case with intros and win poses.

Jynks

I know, but they were selectable. Finishers had no such distinction.

Another difference is that finishers have specific inputs, so that’s how you choose what to see. Not the case with intros and win poses.
are you sure.. I kinda think I remember seeing a place to select intros and fatalities.

DDustiNN

are you sure.. I kinda think I remember seeing a place to select intros and fatalities.
Yes. They say “unlocked” rather than “equipped”. Screen shot and video below. Look at 19:00 in, where they actually go into the menu to look. You can see (and hear them say) that you can’t select them like you can with intros. Of course, it’s always possible that could change... just pointing out what I’ve seen in this build.

Last edited:

Jynks

You see, I see that screenshot as komfirmation.... I'm pretty certain they can all be changed.. maybe not in that demo. I mean it is in the "Kosmetics" section and part of the same UI bit you can change all the other stuff. I would be absolutely shocked if they are not changeable.

DDustiNN

You see, I see that screenshot as komfirmation.... I'm pretty certain they can all be changed.. maybe not in that demo. I mean it is in the "Kosmetics" section and part of the same UI bit you can change all the other stuff. I would be absolutely shocked if they are not changeable.
Well I hope you’re right. I would love to see more than 2 fatalities. I just wouldn’t like the 2-slot limit. I liked how we got 3 total with the classic fatalities.

However, it seems like it would be weird to select brutalities, especially since some would be tied to the selected abilities. Almost seems redundant.

Jynks

the fact they say "unlocked" instead of equipped is curious though, for sure.

Jynks

Well I hope you’re right. I would love to see more than 2 fatalities. I just wouldn’t like the 2-slot limit. I liked how we got 3 total with the classic fatalities.

However, it seems like it would be weird to select brutalities, especially since some would be tied to the selected abilities. Almost seems redundant.
ED Boon interview with IGN
Time Code 5:59

Seems to confirm custom intros and finishers.

DDustiNN

ED Boon interview with IGN
Time Code 5:59

Seems to confirm custom intros and finishers.
He doesn’t say anything about finishers.

I’m still not convinced that finishers will be selectable, as opposed to simply unlocked.

I just watched another interview today with Derek. He specifically says you can “customize” your intros and victories, and “unlock” different brutalities. Look around 5:30 here:

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Customizing intros is nice and all, but most people just skip them entirely after about a week lol.

DDustiNN

Customizing intros is nice and all, but most people just skip them entirely after about a week lol.
That actually kinda pissed me off in Injustice 2. Pretty sure I still never got to see all the different intros between characters.