What's new

Intro + Question

CRUM

Warrior
My name is Matt and I'm new to these here forums. I've been playing MK9 for the past week or so and I'm looking to drastically improve my game. Uppercuts and shadow kicks with Johnny Cage are pretty much what I'm restricted to. I've been watching streams and such with footage from the PDP Tournament and EVO with the intention of picking up some basic and effective combos. However other than some of the basic lingo, I'm struggling to find my way.

I'm basically just looking for someone to succinctly explain what terms like F3, Jik, njp, f4, 2, 2, 2 mean. Maybe it's a stupid question, but I'm trying to work on my combos and it's difficult when I have no clue what they mean. I'd really appreciate some help. And I'm not sure if it matters, but I play Johnny Cage. Oh yes, and my gamertag is Crum X iz 7 if anyone wants to play.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
ill start wit wot i know
firstly welcome to tym :D
1,2,3,4 are the universal commands people use for buttons so (x/square)=1 (y/triangle)=2 (a/x)=3 (b/circle)=4
f3 would = forward A if your on x box.. /forward X if your on playstation
j.i.k= is jump in kick (jump forward kick)
n.j.p = neutral jump punch .....or up 1/2
there should be loads of info on the cage forums ;) go nuts

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
1st off welcome to tym :)

f,b,u,d are direction inputs

1234 are button inputs (on ps3) 1=square 2=triangle 3=x 4=circle (on xbox) 1=x 2=y 3=a 4=b

njp= neutral jump punch (jumping straight up in the air and pressing one off the two punch buttons (1 or 2)

EDIT: ya beat me to it stack, why the irish so helpful :rolleyes:

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
1st off welcome to tym :)

f,b,u,d are direction inputs

1234 are button inputs (on ps3) 1=square 2=triangle 3=x 4=circle (on xbox) 1=x 2=y 3=a 4=b

njp= neutral jump punch (jumping straight up in the air and pressing one off the two punch buttons (1 or 2)

EDIT: ya beat me to it stack, why the irish so helpful :rolleyes:
i was thinkin de same hahahahaaha

Espio

Kokomo
Welcome to the forums, enjoy yourself here!

Stack and 1man3letters already covered your questions from what I can tell.

Also, you should post what system you play on, so people know whether they can play you or not on their respective systems:).

crosstalk

Kombatant
Welcome. You should definitely check out the Cage forum. There's a wealth of information there. There's also plenty of knowledgeable Cage players if you have any questions.

Enigma642

Apprentice
Here is a few bits of advice. I'm still new myself but these things have helped me.

Learn the members of this community who play your character and watch them. When I started I would watch Crazy Dominican and 16-bit. A simple YouTube search yielded a wealth of material.

Don't get into bad habits like jumping.

Don't be discouraged if you spend hours in the training mode and then can't execute the combos online. Lag is something you will have to get used to.

Play good players. You don't gain much by beating lesser players and it will probably result in bad habits. Don't worry about your record.

Be able to take a loss...even if it seems like your opponent is less skilled then you. Keep playing them until they quit or you solve the problem.

CRUM

Warrior
Thanks for the quick responses. @Enigma, that was easily some of the best advice I have been given. I literally did all of those things and I already feel myself improving. I just find it really hard to put together combos. Sometimes even pulling them off in training is extremely difficult.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Welcome to the site! I would answer your questions, but I see they were already covered, so I shall stand back and let you walk through the gates of our community.

Welcome! This is the greatest site in the world. All of your hopes and dreams will magically come true. Because this site is magic.

For putting together combos, all I can suggest is finding your rhythm. Good luck!