What's new

Interesting thing about Ermac model

So a high res render of Ermac got posted by an NRS artist yesterday: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6aAJ8w

The funny thing about it is it's different from the one that's in the Krypt. The face model is different, the amulet is a little different, it's missing a red trim on the hood that's in the Krypt, and some of the detailing on the black part of his coat is different, plus probably other things I didn't notice.

Not saying I think this means anything about Ermac being playable, but I'm definitely curious to know the story behind this. Was he intended to be playable but got scrapped? Is this just a slightly different artist render of the model that ended up getting used in the game? Kinda interesting.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Yeah Ermac isn't coming back I'm afraid. Really good character model though and some of that dudes work is awesome, really talented.

I do like that design more than his previous ones though, but I hate how overdesigned Ermac always is - as well as Reptile. I'm not saying go back to the palette swap days, but simplicity is key sometimes. Show more ninja influence and keep things a bit more grounded. Can always go batshit crazy with alts.

So, to add just slightly to the intrigue, if you try to save that colored version of the image, the name of the image is "alex-troufanov-ermacmk11-final". But...it's not the final one, or at least not the one we see in the game right now. It wouldn't be the first time someone named something "foobar-final" and then did another iteration, but it's something to think about.

But...it's not the final one,
Could be his final version. It's possible that multiple designers were tasked with the job and his wasn't chosen as a the actual in game model used.

As far as the design, i have to agree that it's a little too overworked. Not sure what the metallic collar thing is all about.

Could be his final version. It's possible that multiple designers were tasked with the job and his wasn't chosen as a the actual in game model used.

As far as the design, i have to agree that it's a little too overworked. Not sure what the metallic collar thing is all about.
He implies in the comments on his site that his design is in the Krypt.

I guess it's just a personal preference thing, but I love this design.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
All this awesome design is making me sad. But the devs was like no lets not waste any effort on him and instead use our effort on Jacqui a character all mk fans want
Let’s not pretend that Ermac has something credible to add to the lore or the game. Kenshi and Shang do what he does, and they do it better.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Looks amazing, but at this point, it ain't happening. The entire roster was leaked, and Ermac would have been too with it. I know people want to remain hopeful and maybe they'll release characters that have been previously deconfirmed as DLC but I just don't see it happening.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
He is too cool to be in MK11's roster. We need more boring af characters like Jacqui, RoboCop etc. Characters with guns bionic power bla bla bla. Ermac didn't deserve to be in.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm quite sure they'd have bored me gameplay-wise had they been added, but there's no doubt in my mind that Cyrax, Sektor and Ermac's designs have never been better than they were in MK11. Just absolutely stunning.

We can give up on those 3 characters being added, though. I feel like there's a new thread about it weekly.

trufenix

bye felicia
Someone made the decision to put Ermac in the Krypt and then they told this guy to design it. He made a model, and then the programmers / animators had to tweak it to put it in the game.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

One other small thing someone on Reddit pointed out: at the very bottom of the image, the copyright is for 2020. I have no idea what NRS's legal process for this is, but why would they update the copyright date for the render when they already presumably hold the copyright from 2019? Unless there's been updates on the model/character in 2020 from NRS's perspective, or unless artists iterating on art assets triggers a copyright update regardless of whether it's used, not sure why that wouldn't just show 2019. Not a lawyer, but I'm not sure what the benefit is here to update the date unless there are new assets introduced this year that need to be covered by a 2020 copyright. At a minimum, it says to me that the artist revisited the render at some point in 2020.