What's new

Instead of Tag Mode how about KoF Team Mode?

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
We all know that Tag Mode in MK9 while fun was pretty busted and would be hell to try and balance. Generally tag team fighting games are in general and require a ton of work to balance given you have to weigh the damage/meter balance vs how strong something becomes if they can tag in a character to finish/extend a combo. It only becomes even more difficult to balance should you have assist options where your tag partner can jump out and perform a move to help you in a combo or setup.

In essence "tag" equates to a whole game's worth of balance just unto itself. A lot of folks really liked Tag though and wished it was more balanced so we could also run Tag tournies.

Instead of Tag though what if NRS incorporated a Mode that let you do King of Fighters style Teams?

EDIT: For the record I am not proposing ditching Tag for Team. We can have both. I'm just saying if they added Team Battles it would be FAR easier to run in tourney and it wouldn't require any real extra balance work to create as opposed to trying to adjust the current Tag mode if they wanted to see some team tourney stuff at MK X tournies.

• 3 man team
  • rounds continue until an entire team's roster is completely eliminated
  • character damage/meter carries over to next round leading to really intense meter saving/spending strategies and very interesting team structures based on position cast to build meter in front and cast that have high potential with meter in the back
Its easier to balance and it shows set where you can truly find out if someone is a better player of the game overall or just really good with one character. It also makes counterpicking very hard to do. It offers a lot with very little extra developmental time needed compared to tag mode and this is without even adding in some sort of second meter that fills to use for comeback tools like the HD gauge cancel combos use in KOF 13.

Its just a thought but who here likes the idea of Team mode coming in for MKX? It'd be pretty easy to run a tourney of this considering it doesn't add balancing difficulties like tag combos or assists would. I could just imagine watching an MKX OCV (one character victory) comeback live...

Last edited:

eolson3

Noob
I think MK9 tag is fun because we can put aside all of this and have fun for a bit. I think MK works as a party game, because you can play co-op and Test Your Luck, just goofing around with your friends. It is an opportunity for newbies and veterans to have fun, all at once. I am disappointed that Injustice included nothing of the sort, and may not spend my money on MKX if the trend continues.

E

shaowebb

Not instead of tag.

I loved tag
"Instead of trying to balance tag for tournies add a Team mode " is more what I meant I guess. Tag would take FOREVER to balance a game around if it was intended for competition.

You can have both...but I strongly believe Team could pretty much instantly be implemented into tourney lineups with no real extra game balancing needed to implement it. Just some coding on rounds to perform a call statement to the memory location of where the characters are to load the next team member for the new round is all this mode would need.

MK tag mode is pretty much the "Heroes and Heralds mode" of MK. Exciting. Crazy. Lost cause to balance or run tournies with. Should stick around. Just think Team mode would be a really amazing and simple new mode to further grow interest in the competitive scene.

Wigy

There it is...
I enjoyed just playing casual tag matches with friends, we'd just not allow the REALLY broken shit.
A lot of fun i had was figuring rediculous tag combos in practice. Balancing it to tournament standard will require a LOT of input but putting it in the game wouldn't take that much effort

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Pointer: skarlet
Middle: kung lao/ sonya
Anchor: kabal

In mk trilogy we had team battles 2 vs 2, that was so awesome, its our standard mode even today.

In n64 is up to 3 vs 3. Really good shit.

shaowebb

sigh....had to add an edit as folks didn't read my other post. I'm not proposing tag or team. Im saying if they did add team we wouldn't need them to try to balance tag mode and use up developing time and cash if they wanted us to have a team mode in MKX to use in tournies. We could leave Tag for crazy single player antics and Team could pretty well plug right into tournies.

eolson3

Noob
sigh....had to add an edit as folks didn't read my other post. I'm not proposing tag or team. Im saying if they did add team we wouldn't need them to try to balance tag mode and use up developing time and cash if they wanted us to have a team mode in MKX to use in tournies. We could leave Tag for crazy single player antics and Team could pretty well plug right into tournies.
Other than the "single player antics part", as I think the fun comes with playing alongside another person, I agree with your clarified proposition. Another kombat method, particularly a social one like this, would be a welcomed inclusion.

E

Colares

Noob
I loved in trilogy you would pick 3 characters and the order would switch up in the second and third rounds;
If it takes too long just input some code for 75% life or damage boost of some kind.