What's new

Input Window Timing, Alternate Control, and Input Shortcuts

Qhris

Noob
Alternate control for fightstick. Don’t see a reason to use it otherwise. Input shortcuts, as far as I know, should always be left on. A lot of players, myself included, roll our thumb from down to back (or D,DB,B) when performing a move such as DB+button, and I’m pretty sure this setting has a lot to do with why that works.

The input window timing is an interesting one. I have far less problems executing certain combos requiring a command grab ender if I put it on short. But online, this trade off is not worth it IMO. Leave it on long to be safe.

I don’t know why you left out button shortcuts. This game is the first one I’ve turned that setting OFF. Playing SF, there is no grab button. I’ve tried to keep that usage the same in MK, but after several missed inputs, I’ve decided to let grab stay it’s own button, and just use 1/2 to tech grabs.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
Alternate control for fightstick. Don’t see a reason to use it otherwise. Input shortcuts, as far as I know, should always be left on. A lot of players, myself included, roll our thumb from down to back (or D,DB,B) when performing a move such as DB+button, and I’m pretty sure this setting has a lot to do with why that works.

The input window timing is an interesting one. I have far less problems executing certain combos requiring a command grab ender if I put it on short. But online, this trade off is not worth it IMO. Leave it on long to be safe.

I don’t know why you left out button shortcuts. This game is the first one I’ve turned that setting OFF. Playing SF, there is no grab button. I’ve tried to keep that usage the same in MK, but after several missed inputs, I’ve decided to let grab stay it’s own button, and just use 1/2 to tech grabs.
Does button shortcuts affect teching grabs? Also do you think players will judge you for your button configs? I have the same settings as you. I don't want to go to a local & have competiters side-eyeing me for the settings.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
All execution preference, adjust accordingly and see what works for you, the best setup will give you the best performance so its not equal for everyone in fact it varies from player to players, this is my most favorite feature in this game specially because it attends ppl like me finally.
I'm a stick player and my setup is
  • Alternate control: OFF
(i don't like how it changes BF inputs to HCF and FB to HCB inputs so it keeps me away from them
  • Button Shortcuts: ON
(Since i use throws with 1+3 often i leave it on for now, but this comes with a new issue, my dial strings that are 1, 2 or 2, 1 always trigger interactables when near one, so i'm very tempted to turn those off, so i'm training myself to grab with L1 on stick so i don't have to use button shortcuts
  • Input Shortcuts: OFF
(Sometimes i do things like crouch and stand into a command normal, or sometimes i walk and crouch into a normal, in order to avoid having specials coming out accidentaly leave those off)
  • Input window timing: SHORT
(This option wasn't on MKX which i think it was a huge problem for me, in general i could go on and play any faster in MK specially when doing shimmies, but in MKX the game prevented me to play any faster and at some point my shimmy became projectile inputs with BF, FB, crouch and stand into a command normal, gladly in MK11 they now have an option to adjust this according to one player speed, so mine its always set to off, and sure i do have to learn the cancel window timing of every move i do, but it pays off because i can finally play footsies at much faster speed than MKX ever allowed me too.)

Basically i can use a normal or a command normal whenever and however i want at any point in game after doing ridiculous movement, this is huge in MK11, in MKX i played Kung Lao and he was so fast that he was regulated by this, so there was a speed limit to play on, if you were any faster than MKXL allowed the game would have you using specials when you wanted to use command normals.
Complained about this for a year during Injustice 2 and Bit finally heard my prayers and added a better regulator on MK11

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Does button shortcuts affect teching grabs? Also do you think players will judge you for your button configs? I have the same settings as you. I don't want to go to a local & have competiters side-eyeing me for the settings.
The only thing that might draw eyes is if you play with release check on. It’s pretty much consensus that you want that off. The look would be curious not condescending.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Can somebody do a video on input window? I understand what it does but not really to what extent or how to calibrate it to fit me.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The only release check character is only sonya in MKX and even then it seemed like an unintended feature so they even nerf they combos

stokedAF

casual kahnage
So alternate control turns b f into half circle forward? I might have to try that. I seem to drop that a lot and it’s such a staple of shao kahn that I need to figure out something. Or find a new character. Or find a new game lmao

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
So alternate control turns b f into half circle forward? I might have to try that. I seem to drop that a lot and it’s such a staple of shao kahn that I need to figure out something. Or find a new character. Or find a new game lmao
I tried it for a while it adds too much time to the moves, imo. Tapping back and then tapping forward (don't roll this input. Ever.) can be a little annoying to learn at first, but a full half circle motion just seems to take forever when you're doing it on reaction.
It was the last thing I tried before I just put the stick away for MK games.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
From what I was able to observe in input timing has no bearing outside of combos. Using Noob on short or long I could do down, back, down, 4 and still get the shadow up kick.
However long vs short made a huge difference on F221,shadow tackle. If long I can do the bf2 during the middle of F221, like 2nd 2, no problem.
If on short I had to start the motion more like as the 1 was hitting and finish it sooner.
Another good comparison was with Geras. I forgot the buttons but his shoulder tackle and position swap to command throw. if on long I can do the throw during the position swap animation and throw comes out when done. If on short I was only able to get it out like 2 times out of 20.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere in either a Kombat Kast, a tweet or maybe even here of Dizzy saying the long input window timing was what the other previous MK games were set at.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
All execution preference, adjust accordingly and see what works for you, the best setup will give you the best performance so its not equal for everyone in fact it varies from player to players, this is my most favorite feature in this game specially because it attends ppl like me finally.
I'm a stick player and my setup is
  • Alternate control: OFF
(i don't like how it changes BF inputs to HCF and FB to HCB inputs so it keeps me away from them
  • Button Shortcuts: ON
(Since i use throws with 1+3 often i leave it on for now, but this comes with a new issue, my dial strings that are 1, 2 or 2, 1 always trigger interactables when near one, so i'm very tempted to turn those off, so i'm training myself to grab with L1 on stick so i don't have to use button shortcuts
  • Input Shortcuts: OFF
(Sometimes i do things like crouch and stand into a command normal, or sometimes i walk and crouch into a normal, in order to avoid having specials coming out accidentaly leave those off)
  • Input window timing: SHORT
(This option wasn't on MKX which i think it was a huge problem for me, in general i could go on and play any faster in MK specially when doing shimmies, but in MKX the game prevented me to play any faster and at some point my shimmy became projectile inputs with BF, FB, crouch and stand into a command normal, gladly in MK11 they now have an option to adjust this according to one player speed, so mine its always set to off, and sure i do have to learn the cancel window timing of every move i do, but it pays off because i can finally play footsies at much faster speed than MKX ever allowed me too.)

Basically i can use a normal or a command normal whenever and however i want at any point in game after doing ridiculous movement, this is huge in MK11, in MKX i played Kung Lao and he was so fast that he was regulated by this, so there was a speed limit to play on, if you were any faster than MKXL allowed the game would have you using specials when you wanted to use command normals.
Complained about this for a year during Injustice 2 and Bit finally heard my prayers and added a better regulator on MK11
So input timing window can affect shimmying and footsies? Hmm