What's new

Injustice 2 tournament Question ?

HazeXIII

Smoke Is Back Yes Yes Yes
Is the gear system going to be allowed in the tournament scene im really curious they just revealed recently that the abilities and gears go hand in hand so should i even bother training with the other abilities i get to choose from???

Mr. Freeze

Green Lantern and Grodd Main
Is the gear system going to be allowed in the tournament scene im really curious they just revealed recently that the abilities and gears go hand in hand so should i even bother training with the other abilities i get to choose from???
I believe there is going to be a tournament or competitive mode that removes all gear stats and abilities but keeps the cosmetic look in tact (or maybe just keeps the base look). There is no way they will allow gear abilities in tournaments. It's not fair because there is no way you can lab all of the gear specific moves that every character has.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
If there's gear tournaments. They'll be side at best. Especially due to just imagining the thought of not only someone setting up buttons.. but gear, gear color, checking console unlocks, and that's all before the button check.

And then the loser would then pick a new character, scroll through new gear, and it'd be an even bigger time killer.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
He'll be available from day 1 just like all the other characters so yeah he'll be fine.
Do we actually know this?

I can't remember if Goro actually was, I have I feeling people had to wait a week or so to purchase him if they didn't preorder. Could be wrong though

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think Paulo indicated that there will be a competition-ready mode where gear will still show up as a cosmetic customization, but won't affect your stats and abilities.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Yeah let's not do this for anything serious but I will be very disappointed if we don't have online gear tournaments.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
No. The only way I see abilities being legal is if there is an option to unlock all of them right off the bat which tbh I don't see it likely happening and if it did end up being the case im presuming it has to be known beforehand due to the suprise factor it has and gear well I'm sure would be fine if it's only cosmetic.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Even if the scene wanted it, it would be a complete nightmare to TOs to unlock every single gear in the game. unless NRs gives them codes and I doubt that would happen.

NurzBenny

Old Member
Apart of me really wanted to see these moves in tourney (As a potential legacy green lantern player who would love to shamelessly turbine into 50/50 on day one) but with the logistics involved, at present, it's just a plain impossibility.

Glad I found this thread and didn't have to make a new one and look like a jackass

Redk9

Noob
A few months ago the decision was maybe debatable, but Nrs has made it clear they didn't intend for abilities nor gear to be used competitively whatsoever.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I haven't kept up with the game that much, has NRS stated whether gear specific moves will ever be useable outside of the gear modes? Missing out on so much content with these characters just because I don't want to mess with this, quite frankly, fucking stupid for a fighting game gear system has really soured me on the game.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm wondering if the gear stuff is going to have a negative impact on competitive play. Even more so after the last stream and getting to see how much you are going to be losing. Seems like it's going to feel a lot like if MKX didn't allow variations for competitive play and you were stuck with whatever NRS picked for competitive play. Spectators are stuck with this as well.

Single variation characters have been around forever and there are a lot of options, so maybe nobody cares, but I found it really amazing to be able to explore options for characters I was interested in instead of being given a "take it or leave it situation." Anyone that wants to take the game "seriously" has to give that up, or take it seriously in a way that isn't really recognized.

A level playing field is the easy answer, but I think there is a lot of room for the player base to be divided in weird ways we've never seen before. I know I'm pretty torn on how to approach the game. We're about to find out about it all, and I'm getting pumped for release day. I think it's going to be a different kind of ride than we are used to with most fighters.

i'm sure this has been said a million times, but i just wish they would have made preset variations with the extra moves they gave each character. because it sucks that i will straight up never use those moves now that there isn't a way to use them in a competitive sense and i really wish i could.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I'm wondering if the gear stuff is going to have a negative impact on competitive play. Even more so after the last stream and getting to see how much you are going to be losing. Seems like it's going to feel a lot like if MKX didn't allow variations for competitive play and you were stuck with whatever NRS picked for competitive play. Spectators are stuck with this as well.

Single variation characters have been around forever and there are a lot of options, so maybe nobody cares, but I found it really amazing to be able to explore options for characters I was interested in instead of being given a "take it or leave it situation." Anyone that wants to take the game "seriously" has to give that up, or take it seriously in a way that isn't really recognized.

A level playing field is the easy answer, but I think there is a lot of room for the player base to be divided in weird ways we've never seen before. I know I'm pretty torn on how to approach the game. We're about to find out about it all, and I'm getting pumped for release day. I think it's going to be a different kind of ride than we are used to with most fighters.
I kinda feel the same. The only saving grace is that the base characters in IJ2 don't look as vanilla as the non-variation MKX roster. There is still a good base to compete with. It sucks that some moves won't be used in a competitive setting though. I do agree that NRS should've considered the competitive side of the game a bit more, presets would've been a great idea.