What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn In this topic I briefly discuss each of Kotals moves/strings

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
As the topic title suggests, in this topic I will be giving a short writeup and rating of every Kotal move and string he has. This is going to take a while but I will keep updating here and there as time goes on. Since it seems to be the main topic of discussion right now, my first few posts will be patch related but I'll also get some other stuff mixed in as well. Remember this is just my opinion of things and based on how I play. So im sure there will be stuff im missing. If so let me know and I'll add it in and credit you. Only suggestions for moves that I've already wrote up, so that its easier for me to update.

B1 : Probably my favorite buff. Smart use of this and its strings could really lock an opponent down before and its only even better now. The added speed really ups the effectiveness of the 114 string. All in all I think its a very useful but "boring" BnB type buff. 7/10

Mace Parry: Well, at least they tried. I mean the ability to absorb projectiles is great and will help out situation-ally but the speed of projectiles and how fast most characters can spam them still knocks the effectiveness down a bit. Plain and simple, you will inevitably lose a projectile vs parry war and take unnecessary damage against almost any player that goes to a hard zoning approach. In terms of up close Kombat, Im just not sure if this move will ever work right in its current form. We can sugar coat it and lie to ourselves as much as we want but I just dont understand how NRS expects a parry to be viable against dial-a-combo if it doesnt AT LEAST create a neutral situation (IE. Interrupt). Not even asking for advantage here. It doesnt matter how fast they make it, it just doesnt work at a basic level in a game like this. 6/10

Air take-down: At first glance I thought this buff would be a game changing, tier jumping upgrade and while its not that good, I still love it. They really did go a long way in improving this move and making it a true anti air. In my opinion its still not viable against air specials but for standard jump-ins, its amazing. This game has always felt a little bit inconsistent to me when talking about reaction based stuff but im finding that reaction air-grabbing on jump ins seems to be pretty reliable now and should be something that gets practiced hard by any advanced Kotal at this point. I believe that its possible to completely take jump ins out of the game for our opponents with this move with enough training. Thats huge. And the faster a player can master this skill the faster they will really stand out as a Kotal player. Its what i'll be working on for the foreseeable future. Even if it means dropping matches because of it. 9/10

F4: "This is Sparta" kick: Its slow, doesnt lead to or cancel into anything, and I guess its "safe" but all you really get out of it is block. Off of a blocked ji1 you get it for free. If they let go of block to do anything outside of armor they get hit and go almost fullscreen which I guess could be useful. If they keep blocking, you're still safe. Gets bonus points for being a top tier swag finishing move. Especially if you can get it in before you opponent fully stands up. 5/10

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
DF3 - The flaming Papa John: In this move Kotal summons a flaming hot pizza pie and hurls it at the opponent with tremendous force. Lets face it, as a projectile this move is just complete ass. Its startup is longer than the development cycle for Duke Nukem forever was and it cant be canceled into shit. I guess you can try and time it to hit a fullscreen wakeup but when that is the best you can do with a projectile, you know you have problems. The meterburn version however is much much better. Much faster and leaves you at big time advantage. Can also be canceled into from plenty of decent stuff. Also that damage though. To be honest I feel like the regular version should have had the properties of the meter burn version (minus the damage buff). That alone would have solved alot of the deficiencies that can sometimes plague Blood and Sun. The fact that the MB version of this move is pretty much the only "easy mode" damage that Blood can get (b1,4,DF3 - b122, DF3 ect) gives it a bump and that the damage potential is undeniable I'd still rate this move above average. Non MB version being utterly useless drags it down. 6/10.