What's new

In person competition

huber

Noob
I come from the school of Smash where all the tournaments are in person. If you want to play somebody that isn't a CPU then that person is in the same room as you end of story. I've gotten used to it and really enjoy the in person atmosphere over the alone in a room playing on the internet atmosphere.

I work at a game store in Southern California. I run Brawl tournaments here so we have TV setups and space. Me and my buddies are loving the way this game seems to be coming along. It looks like it could be a pretty good competitive game. So, I was wondering what the chances were of getting an in-person competitive scene going. I wasn't around for the other 3d games to see how they went but I'd love to do that with this one.

Thanks in advance.

ABSOLUTELY! This is what I'm looking for here! I'm in 100% agreement with you! What's your board name on Smash Boards?

What some games flourish while others die and disappear isn't totally clear but there does seem to be at least some clues in other games. From Street Fighter to Smash Brothers, it's the community of players that determines how successful a competitive scene holds up. The second factor is the game itself.

If MK vs. DCU somehow makes it past the grueling second phase of testing - when us players try to break it - I can see it having a good chance of being picked up as another competitive game. It's going to have a tough time competing against the likes of HD Remix, IV, and Tatsunoko but if it rewards mindgames and isn't plagued with infinites (or at least gets patched when needed), I can see it going well.

Sadly, I live up here in Canada and thus far I haven't found a single other person who'd like to take this game up. Hopefully it'll come out to raving reviews to help sway people over.

Where in So-Cal Huber???

I'm from around antelope valley area. If you want, next time i'm in the area, i'm planning on going to family fun arcade and getting down with some UMK3!

huber

Noob
I live in the Rancho Cucamonga (909) area. About an hour drive from FFA.

edit: My name on SWF is "Huber" also. I keep mainly to the regional forums.

Yeah, I made an Ottawa thread there... which I have a terrible feeling will remain dreadfully empty.

Something really needs to be done to make this game more popular to people who want to play something 'competitively' (assuming it isn't a broken game and all that). With HD Remix just around the bend, things'll be tough.