What's new

Guide - Reptile In-Depth Video Guide: REPTILE - All Variations Covered

Which Reptile Variation do you find the most interesting? (Vote changing enabled)

• Total voters

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
Hey guys! Im finally back with me next guide. Sorry I took so long, just that I was just checking all my stuff correct nd what not. Couple of typos, but I hope its not too much of a problem. Please let me know your honest opinion of what you think! Hope you guys enjoy the video and most importantly that it helps you step up your Reptile.
Video inlcudes: Basics, Mix-Ups, Setups, Combos, Pressure 101 and Tips-n-Tricks.

UPDATE: Patch 1.06 video is now up. Link to post --> http://testyourmight.com/threads/patch-1-06-notes-in-depth.53873/

Last edited:

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Whoo! I made it into the video looking like a fool. lol. Good stuff, man. I'm gonna send this to my friend.

One thing, though...really work on your spelling. You spelled Anti as "Anit" like 5 five times, among other things.

The pressure is ridiculous.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Guide is well done but it's outdated. Also Slide and Pounce as a mix-up? A lot will agree with me that those aren't very good mix-ups. You also didn't mention that F41 is -5 on block. You can't really pressure with it unless you conditioned the opponent to block in fear of EX Swipe or you have a Slowball following behind you (it's in the video but you didn't explain it clearly)

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
Whoo! I made it into the video looking like a fool. lol. Good stuff, man. I'm gonna send this to my friend.

One thing, though...really work on your spelling. You spelled Anti as "Anit" like 5 five times, among other things.

The pressure is ridiculous.
hahaha, yeah I put that there was some editing errors in the video description. I think its called "typos" if im not mistaken? ah well, xD

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
Guide is well done but it's outdated. Also Slide and Pounce as a mix-up? A lot will agree with me that those aren't very good mix-ups. You also didn't mention that F41 is -5 on block. You can't really pressure with it unless you conditioned the opponent to block in fear of EX Swipe or you have a Slowball following behind you (it's in the video but you didn't explain it clearly)
Yeah, I use them as a mixup but it goes from overhead into a low. and the f3 into pounce goes low into overhead. I mean, it works most of the time.
As for F4,1 I put that its safe but i should of said "technically safe" because not many start up are fast enough to punish it. as far as ex swipe goes, if it were an overhead I think I would use it more. I wonder if NRS will change it or something, bcuz it looks like an overhead.
Thanks for the feedback man.
Also, think you can hook me up with some mix ups you may have? Im still learning Reptile

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Yeah, I use them as a mixup but it goes from overhead into a low. and the f3 into pounce goes low into overhead. I mean, it works most of the time.
As for F4,1 I put that its safe but i should of said "technically safe" because not many start up are fast enough to punish it. as far as ex swipe goes, if it were an overhead I think I would use it more. I wonder if NRS will change it or something, bcuz it looks like an overhead.
Thanks for the feedback man.
Also, think you can hook me up with some mix ups you may have? Im still learning Reptile
F41 xx Slide and F41 xx Pounce is a gimmick. It will work only until your opponent learns to fuzzy block it. And you eat a full combo.

F41 is indeed safe but you can't stagger it without conditioning because it's -5 and F4 has 9f of start-up. Meaning your opponent has 14f to interrupt you if you to it back-to-back.

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
F41 xx Slide and F41 xx Pounce is a gimmick. It will work only until your opponent learns to fuzzy block it. And you eat a full combo.

F41 is indeed safe but you can't stagger it without conditioning because it's -5 and F4 has 9f of start-up. Meaning your opponent has 14f to interrupt you if you to it back-to-back.
I put in some form or another that those mixups are good during my setups, but i shouldve specified thats the only time I use them; during the setups while the ball is behind/next to me

Also, your right. I did mention the F4,1 is good once the opponent is conditioned, but I shouldve also included how to condition the opponent for it.
But i dont see how ex swipe does that though (if I read your comment correctly). If you come in in any way with F4 string into ex swipe, its still standing block

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I put in some form or another that those mixups are good during my setups, but i shouldve specified thats the only time I use them.

Also, your right. I did mention the F4,1 is good once the opponent is conditioned, but I shouldve also included how to condition the opponent for it.
But i dont see how ex swipe does that though (if I read your comment correctly). If you come in in any way with F4 string into ex swipe, its still standing block
EX Swipe scares them to not interrupt the F41 staggers. You don't cancel F41 into EX Swipe but you do it on when they try to do something in between of F41 staggers.

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
EX Swipe scares them to not interrupt the F41 staggers. You don't cancel F41 into EX Swipe but you do it on when they try to do something in between of F41 staggers.
OHHH, i get it now! nice 1. but I see now what you do with ex swipe, is what I do with D3. But yours is more viable i think bcuz of the armor. Ima have to spice it up and add that to my strat. Thanks man!

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
OHHH, i get it now! nice 1. but I see now what you do with ex swipe, is what I do with D3. But yours is more viable i think bcuz of the armor. Ima have to spice it up and add that to my strat. Thanks man!
There's no point in doing D3 because d3 and F4 both start up at 9f. Maybe online it looks faster because of lag, but it will get blown up offline.

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
Great video, it helped me a lot. I've been struggling against opponents like Jax and Kung Lao, but now I feel I know how to pressure them properly.

I feel like creating a thread to discuss the uses of DB4 and specially EX DB4, but I guess I can get the answer here. Klaw pounce and klaw bounce can work as mid combo options if you want to look cool, but usually ex klaw(db2) or ex fast ball do the same job and give a bigger window for combos. What is the purpose of DB4? Is it just a bad anti air move?

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
Great video, it helped me a lot. I've been struggling against opponents like Jax and Kung Lao, but now I feel I know how to pressure them properly.

I feel like creating a thread to discuss the uses of DB4 and specially EX DB4, but I guess I can get the answer here. Klaw pounce and klaw bounce can work as mid combo options if you want to look cool, but usually ex klaw(db2) or ex fast ball do the same job and give a bigger window for combos. What is the purpose of DB4? Is it just a bad anti air move?
Im afraid to answer because the Reptile Mains will come acid spit my face and eat me alive if I say anything wrong, so I will answer based on my experience instead of..facts(?).
first off, be careful bcuz ex pounce doesnt connect after all the normals that klaw and fastball can, if im not mistaken. Now as for ex pounce. I only use it when being cocky that enemy is gonna throw projectile and jump over and punish them all flashy as fuark. Also, I usually only use it after i see the enemy jumping a lot after my ex slowball. most of the time i connect the pounce into the slowball. and looks sick as hell too. In other words, try to making reads and pounce over shit, works for me.

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate

Glad you liked the video man, put some time into it. Also, for Jax and Lao, I suggest deceptive against jax and ex dd3 in his face into a string. u dont have to wait for the animation and can move instantly, so its a good bait. For Kung lao's I usually go nimble and f4,1,2,dd3. theyre really easy to follow up bcuz theyre options are so predictable. remember whenever u connect any move on them (on hit or block) u get advantage, so at once u get any move on them they gotta armor out if they wanna do anything.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Good guide man, one topic usefull in this forum. Thx

Maybe it would be a great idea to open a thread to speak about all the mix up strategy we have.
To be honest it's a pain to search something interesting in the forum. So many topics, so many combos totally useless or outdated...

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
Good guide man, one topic usefull in this forum. Thx

Maybe it would be a great idea to open a thread to speak about all the mix up strategy we have.
To be honest it's a pain to search something interesting in the forum. So many topics, so many combos totally useless or outdated...
Thanks man. It was pointed out to me that my mix ups are pretty bad tho. haha, kinda afraid at this point to say anything bcuz of the Reptile Mains on here. :p

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
Thanks man. It was pointed out to me that my mix ups are pretty bad tho. haha, kinda afraid at this point to say anything bcuz of the Reptile Mains on here. :p
Easiest way to get information on the internet is not to ask, but to be wrong about something. At least those of us looking into reptile get some ideas. I think the stuff you're doing is good for online/with the ball behind you. I actually tried a couple of the pressure strings and they are super fun/feel rewarding as hell.

Really good stuff! Was gonna ask if you had any footage of matches online or anything, none of your past broadcasts are on your stream and looking at the start/end of the video you get some good looking matches.

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
Easiest way to get information on the internet is not to ask, but to be wrong about something. At least those of us looking into reptile get some ideas. I think the stuff you're doing is good for online/with the ball behind you. I actually tried a couple of the pressure strings and they are super fun/feel rewarding as hell.

Really good stuff! Was gonna ask if you had any footage of matches online or anything, none of your past broadcasts are on your stream and looking at the start/end of the video you get some good looking matches.
Thanks a lot man, really appreciate your feedback. I think Ima just keep spreading my ideas then. Not that I stopped, was just cautious.

About match gameplay, I dont know how to enable the broadcast to record on twitch but I cant definitely record a session and upload it. I just never did that because I didnt know if people wanna just see the videos plainly like that because Im not really good with commentary. I will Record a session tomorrow since I'll be off work and upload it for you man. ALSO, glad you liked some of the pressure stuff man. It really is fun and feels super satisfying. There is still so much I wanted to show with Reptile, but felt it wasnt polished/perfected enough. I'll get to the videos asap man, should be up tomorrow or later today or whatever (its 2am here).

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
Thanks a lot man, really appreciate your feedback. I think Ima just keep spreading my ideas then. Not that I stopped, was just cautious.

About match gameplay, I dont know how to enable the broadcast to record on twitch but I cant definitely record a session and upload it. I just never did that because I didnt know if people wanna just see the videos plainly like that because Im not really good with commentary. I will Record a session tomorrow since I'll be off work and upload it for you man. ALSO, glad you liked some of the pressure stuff man. It really is fun and feels super satisfying. There is still so much I wanted to show with Reptile, but felt it wasnt polished/perfected enough. I'll get to the videos asap man, should be up tomorrow or later today or whatever (its 2am here).
Screw being cautious! That's the point of having the ball behind you ;) The pressure stuff is hilarious, watching someone decide how to get through a force ball while you're turning invis/basilisk in their face is too fun. Especially when they eat it and I convert 27% (Yay for hopefully soon damage buffs) for one hit and then do it again. I just gotta get used to closing distance with his dash and some of the more complex shit down and I'd be solid.

If you have a twitch account you have to enable it go to http://www.twitch.tv/settings/channel and check the box that says "Archive my broadcasts". That's what I did and it still has all my old Starcraft shit on there.

I get a lot of info from watching actual matches happen and I'd follow the hell out of your stuff to see what kind of decisions you're making. Take you're time though, I don't have a whole lot of time to play this week so Im just chewing through videos.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I have some notes:

F21,1+3 ex "not worth using" is wrong. It's definitely good when you cant hitconfirm into ex klaw which does more damage.

Using d3 "in between pressure" is a terrible idea. It's 9f that leads to nowhere you should be using f4.

D4 "just a low hit" instead of "one of the best footsie tools in the game" is misleading, plus you're not explaining the purpose or why everyone should be doing it 10 times more.

You just kinda mention b3 and you don't say anything about the OS which is one of Reptile's corner stones.

F412 "good for setups" instead of "main string, main combo starter, main counter poking tool and meter building string"

You called frame traps "setups".

You didn't even mention 21.

F412 ex ball is a massive waste of meter. More on that below.

Saying klaw pounce is a good wake up is bad info. Never wake up with klaw pounce.

F41 f41 "mind game" gets easily blown up at high level gameplay.

All the combos (except the swaggy ones) are day 1 and unoptimized.

Never use 1 as an antiair. Never.

You said one of the combos led to a vortex. Thats not what vortex means. Thats not a vortex. Reptile's only vortex comes from ex grab and its really easy to see it coming.

F412 ex ball gimmick does NOT work at a high level. Anyone with half a brain will tech roll and whiff punish you. This will only work online and against scrubs. Believe me IVE TRIED. Do not waste a bar in f412 ex bar when you can hit confirm it and get 39% instead.

Nimble is the best variation yet you dont even mention the bnbs. He gets 49% in the corner and 39% mid screen.

You don't mention the corpse hop or how to properly use it.

You don't mention ex klaw swipe which may very well be his main launcher :(

This is not a high level guide, it's a start but it doesn't explain Reptile's fundamentals and it's full of gimmicks.

Last edited:

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
@Cossner you seems to know reptile pretty much, where can we find the optimized combos ? and cool set up.
is it optimized ?

What antiair do you use with reptile ?
Why do you think reptile's D4 is a very good move ?

Matthew Rivera

DidUSayChocolate
I have some notes:

F21,1+3 ex "not worth using" is wrong. It's definitely good when you cant hitconfirm into ex klaw which does more damage.

Using d3 "in between pressure" is a terrible idea. It's 9f that leads to nowhere you should be using f4.

D4 "just a low hit" instead of "one of the best footsie tools in the game" is misleading, plus you're not explaining the purpose or why everyone should be doing it 10 times more.

You just kinda mention b3 and you don't say anything about the OS which is one of Reptile's corner stones.

F412 "good for setups" instead of "main string, main combo starter, main counter poking tool and meter building string"

You called frame traps "setups".

You didn't even mention 21.

F412 ex ball is a massive waste of meter. More on that below.

Saying klaw pounce is a good wake up is bad info. Never wake up with klaw pounce.

F41 f41 "mind game" gets easily blown up at high level gameplay.

All the combos (except the swaggy ones) are day 1 and unoptimized.

Never use 1 as an antiair. Never.

You said one of the combos led to a vortex. Thats not what vortex means. Thats not a vortex. Reptile's only vortex comes from ex grab and its really easy to see it coming.

F412 ex ball gimmick does NOT work at a high level. Anyone with half a brain will tech roll and whiff punish you. This will only work online and against scrubs. Believe me IVE TRIED. Do not waste a bar in f412 ex bar when you can hit confirm it and get 39% instead.

Nimble is the best variation yet you dont even mention the bnbs. He gets 49% in the corner and 39% mid screen.

You don't mention the corpse hop or how to properly use it.

You don't mention ex klaw swipe which may very well be his main launcher :(

This is not a high level guide, it's a start but it doesn't explain Reptile's fundamentals and it's full of gimmicks.
Really appreciate the feedback, man. These are a lot of good notes, Ima try to address them in rapid fire....and go;
-My f2,1,1+3 ex note was only out of opinion. I does lead to some more damage, but I'd rather save the bar for another ex ball or ex klaw.
-The d3 in between pressure thing, i THINK i did mention somewhere at some point that only use it if opponent is adapting to blocking all the f4,1 overheads.
-I dont feel knowledgeable of some FGC subjects, like terminology and stuff. So I try to stay away as to not say any mistakes, like frame data and footsies, etc. I have an idea of what Ive been calling footsies, but not sure if correct or wrong, so I left it out.
-Your note about the b3. Example of my knowledge, no idea what OS means and had to look it up. Option select; Also, I not sure if what I call OS is correct, so I didnt include it.
-About the F4 string, all really good notes and I think I put "its the only thing I use" or something like that. If its not on the video, I was thinking of putting it bcuz its true. All also bcuz of what u mentioned on your notes.
-Frame trap notes; Again, im newb
-2,1 I dont use it at all. So i left it out. I think people use it to juggle, but I only use 1. I left it out bcuz i find it useless, on its own.
-the f4 string ex ball waste of meter note. Hey man, it works. Dont nod it till u try it...or however that saying goes xD
-the klaw pounce wakeup, I did mention it being "situational"
-F4,1, F4,1 mind game note. True, which is why I didnt say Its high level. At least I hope I didnt.
-The combos note; I dont know if I mentioned it on the vid but I dont bother with "optimized combos" when using reptile. I feel he doesn't need them bcuz he already doesnt do big damage. Since he doesnt make big damage, I feel he makes up for it with all his tools and I like to think I take advantage of his tools and it works.
-Vortex Note; Again. Me newb
-the 1 anti air; I mean...it works xDD I idk what to say other than it works for me. unless you need footage or something.
-The f4 string into ex ball note; Again I didnt say its high level. Also, It wouldnt whiff with a tech roll, or back dash, or even tech roll into backdash wakeup. Thats why I put you run in after the ex ball, you f4 or f2 at the normals' range. Idk if that makes sense, sorry. but yeah, no whiff
-About Nimble being the best; mm nahhh. I still havent been convinced. I believe that the whole deal with nimble being big combo potential is not guaranteed. Its unrealistic to do full basilisk timer combos bcuz of the portion of the timer you use to get in. Again, only my opinion and havent seen it done. I need that proof of it being done consistently/successfully, or the basilisk combo videos are irrelevant.
-Corpse hop; im lost there. No idea what you mean
-Nah, ex klaw is there. but yea, I wasnt big on using ex klaw when making the guide. which is why i didnt elaborate on it how I shouldve. But soon after I finshed this I starting using more, and yaass its so good. Just a missed opportunity I had there.

Thanks again, man! Glad people like you are around. Helps me reflect/revise and learn a lot.