What's new

Strategy In-depth analysis of Joker

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
One of the first things I saw in this section is that almost all the threads were about costumes and story mode, lore, etc and not enough discussion about his tools in the threads designed for it.

So, this is my overall analysis of his tools and hypothesis of his tier placement.

While he does have nice tools, he just looks like a sub-par zoner, he does however have awesome unique tools.

Throw= Best throw in the game, you decide whether they're thrown within sweep distance or fullscreen.

Jump= Meh, first trait I see that instead of giving extra powers actually makes up for a ridiculous weakness, his jump is either the generic one or way too low and doesn't cover a lot of distance.

Walk speed= Great speed, excelent for spacing.

Dash= Faster than average and covers a good distance, something that looks unique about it, it seems to have some recovery in the end, not the typical dash-in-start a string recovery/pause, it looks like it was specifically designed for joker to swiftly space himself within the range of his long normals/zoning tools. There's definitely some juice in dat.

Gas Bombs= Explode on block/hit stunning and doing damage or chipping, on whiff then roll on until they go off-screen or are blocked, not sure, think they explode after some time. There's a high and low version, there's A LOT of setup potential. The short bomb can be cancelled to gunshot, on hit, the short bomb has pushback and about 20 frames of stun.

Flower Acid Squirt= Standard MK9 rain squirt/sektroll flamethrower just with much faster recovery and not as -. I assume, on block.

Gunshot= Medium startup, throws bombs and shoots bullets, can be delayed to lead into a nice anti air combo, from the finish-him interview we know that jokers damage is above average but he doesn't have many opportunities to land it, I think that's false because his zoning tools have a lot of use and there WILL be some dirty ass setups, mark my words.

NORMALS​
From what I see, jokers normals focus a lot of spacing, he has an overhead crowbar attack which makes him lean back considerably, allowing him to force whiffs and punish them for full combo and maybe avoids point blank crossups after he ejects himself forward. He also has the advancing dive from MKDC and a really good and fast sweep. He extends his popup combos with a divekick too.​
he's a spiritual successor of ermac regarding the footsies playstyle he has​

I will fix it on release, right now with his super im not so sure, will check it out tomorrow though
In the same stage Doomsday picks the same grenade launcher at the same spot Joker did it, but Doomsday crushes it to a tiny ball and throws that at the opponent =)