What's new

in-close - finding openings - first to button wins?

I'm new, hi all! Really got interested in fighting games for the first time since I was a kid playing MKII at the corner store. Anyway, spent a good amount of time reading here and at shoryuken, and of course, i've been practicing online. I'm 20 wins and 40 losses, or something.

My question is about finding an opening. I'm learning with Kung Lao. What happens a lot, is that I'm in close with an opponent, I'm trying to start a combo with 112 xx spin, or when he's a high blocker, I go back-3-3-3. for a low hit combo.

I feel like he's hitting me before I hit him more than the other way around, which must mean I'm doing something wrong. I'm basically always on the block button (especially when I'm playing a teleport spamming character) unless i'm attacking, so is there a penalty (ie, frames of vulnerability) when you release block and start dialing in attacks? as opposed to attacking without having been blocking first, I mean. is it just that he's getting his combo out faster than me, or getting to an attack button faster? What would be the most common reasons for getting dominated in close?

I think I'm doing ok with zoning and baiting and mixing it up. If anything I feel I have the upper hand sometimes with regards to variety, mind-games etc. SOO many players play predictably.

But with finding those openings (as well as hitting combos reliably) i'm really struggling. Do I just want to poke, or wait for the guy to whiff? or dash in, then try to start a string and see if i'm hitting? Because honestly my 112 xx spin almost never connects.

Also, what do you do against players who know their safe strings, so even when I anticipate their attack and block it, I can't punish?

Help would be appreciated! So would sparring partners actually. I'm in Canada, very noob, but interested in improving.

Sounds a bit like you might be fighting the input lag online. It might be worth your while to spend some time in training with someone on 2p with a variety of characters to get an idea for what's normally punishable. That may give you a better feel for how much lag you're experiencing online and attempt to adjust accordingly.

If you don't have anyone else to practice with, an expert ai cpu may also be of some use.

Probably also need to find your own abusable strats to throw online to take advantage of the lag better than your opponent. At the moment that's basically what online play boils down to in this game.

Some it it might be lag for sure. I'm improving, winning more as I get quicker at recognizing patterns, intuitively knowing when to ride block, etc. Almost have my record back to .500.

Thanks for responding!