What's new

Improving execution on stick

aj1701

Noob
So, I've been playing on stick exclusively for a few months now. While I can do everything I could on pad (and more) I still make many more errors than I'd like. So I know in general practice more, but I'm looking for more specific tips that might help. I've read that I shouldnt need to move the stick all the way to the edge, and I know the switches will engage well before that, but when I'm actually in a figure trying to move it quickly often means I'm hitting the edges.

So, what advise do pros have to help get better using a stick?

Tolkeen

/wrists
So, I've been playing on stick exclusively for a few months now. While I can do everything I could on pad (and more) I still make many more errors than I'd like. So I know in general practice more, but I'm looking for more specific tips that might help. I've read that I shouldnt need to move the stick all the way to the edge, and I know the switches will engage well before that, but when I'm actually in a figure trying to move it quickly often means I'm hitting the edges.

It kind of depends on when your errors are occurring. Are you accidentally jumping? Are you missing neutral commands, and instead hitting directions? Are you mis-dashing?

I don't see the problem, just get more experience.
Also, don't you have square gate? If so, we're on the same page.
I have no execution problems after I had my matches with you, that made me realize to do iAF's the 16 bit way.

Other than that, I don't remember having an execution error unless I myself did it at the wrong time, but it is true that we need to get rid of our engagement to the edge of the stick.

aj1701

Noob
It kind of depends on when your errors are occurring. Are you accidentally jumping? Are you missing neutral commands, and instead hitting directions? Are you mis-dashing?
No, I rarely jump when I don't want to. I frequently miss down-forward moves, especially down-right (I miss that more than down-left oddly). Mileeans ball roll (left-down) I miss even more. There's a Kitana combo, f21, b2~df1, dash, df1, 2~df2. I can typically get it if I'm on the right (and thus doing down left), but when I'm on the left of the screen, I'll mess up the b2~df1 (the fan just doesn't come out) or if I get it, I can't seem to dash right to finish it off.

I don't see the problem, just get more experience.
Also, don't you have square gate? If so, we're on the same page.
I have no execution problems after I had my matches with you, that made me realize to do iAF's the 16 bit way.

Other than that, I don't remember having an execution error unless I myself did it at the wrong time, but it is true that we need to get rid of our engagement to the edge of the stick.
Its more than having a hard time with IAF. If I'm about sweep distance away and I uppercut, its because I tried to do the cutter and f'ed it up.

Oh, I posted a thread in the Kitana forum asking what 16bits IAF technique is. If you know it post it over there for me :)

No, I rarely jump when I don't want to. I frequently miss down-forward moves, especially down-right (I miss that more than down-left oddly). Mileeans ball roll (left-down) I miss even more. There's a Kitana combo, f21, b2~df1, dash, df1, 2~df2. I can typically get it if I'm on the right (and thus doing down left), but when I'm on the left of the screen, I'll mess up the b2~df1 (the fan just doesn't come out) or if I get it, I can't seem to dash right to finish it off.

Its more than having a hard time with IAF. If I'm about sweep distance away and I uppercut, its because I tried to do the cutter and f'ed it up.

Oh, I posted a thread in the Kitana forum asking what 16bits IAF technique is. If you know it post it over there for me :)
You already know, instead of doing a half circle for get the iAF (up, left, down, right, and 2), you instead to up, down, right, 2.

In my opinion it's easier if you get the execution down, what I do is just say (one, two, three) in my mind whilst hearing the 3 clicks from the stick in order to take out the iAF.

I'm a terrible teacher, (I give bad examples at the least), hopefully someone will explain it better than I.

I see your problem with the Mileena ball roll.

Ironically, that is exactly why I switched from pad to stick, because whenever I tried to do ANYTHING that included execution on the right direction I always accidentally tapped L3 on the Dualshock 3.

The reason for that was because I play with one arm, and my arm is a little too big for the pad.

If we ever meet I can show you what I mean (shords, krayzie, wonder chef, and tyrant have seen me in real life they can explain better).

Anyways, I just remembered that I too have a problem executing Mileena's ball roll, but that's because I barely play her.

Tolkeen

/wrists
I think what's probably happening is you're not getting the left (or right) registered before it registers the down, for mileena. I used to play on a 360 thumbstick and I'd do that same thing, try making your direction (either left or right) a little higher, so that you don't get the down at the same time. Cause the game likes to throw the down in there to mess up what you were trying to do.

In case that's not clear enough. If you do left for the left down at about 8 o'clock (gate wise) then try to condition your hand to move it more at 9 o'clock.

What i'm thinking is really hard to describe HOPEFULLY, that helps a little bit :(.

aj1701

Noob
Thanks guys, I guess I'll keep plugging away at it. I did manage to get a few IAFs in training when I was on the left of the screen, but its much easier when I'm on the right still. [MENTION=7479]Verstande[/MENTION], yes I do have a square gate.

[MENTION=6561]Tolkeen[/MENTION], that does help, I'll give it a shot when I play Mileena next.

Flagg

Noob
I've had my stick for about 6 weeks, and while im playing pretty well on it, I still make a few errors, my most common one being missing neutral commands still. I sometimes exaggarrate df into a full half circle.

I used to whiff df or db commands but I find being more gentle is the key to this rather than hitting the stick hard. I tend to grip the stick with my thumb and three fingers and my pinky finger doesn't touch the stick at all. I've tried a couple of other grips but this one is the most comfortable for me.

Sorry for the hijack, but I feel your pain OP!

aj1701

Noob
[MENTION=9225]Flagg[/MENTION], good info. I can't seem to find a grip where part of my hand is not resting on the box, and I find that slows me down. Don't worry about hijacking, the purpose of this thread is to help each other find ways to execute well on stick, I'm sure we're not the only ones learning!

Flagg

Noob
[MENTION=9225]Flagg[/MENTION], good info. I can't seem to find a grip where part of my hand is not resting on the box, and I find that slows me down. Don't worry about hijacking, the purpose of this thread is to help each other find ways to execute well on stick, I'm sure we're not the only ones learning!
The beauty of sticks you can mod them. Maybe you need to adjust the spring making the stick stiffer, or changing from a lollipop to baseball bat.

It probably is down to just getting used to it. I mean the last time I used one would have been about 10 years ago in an arcade.

Tim Static

Adminerator

Just continue to practice. Then practice some more.

Repetition.