What's new

IJ2 facial animations

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
If you think the facial animations in this game are bad, I'm not convinced you've seen them.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think they're really well done, especially compared to other fighting games where you just see the mouth opening and a voice coming out. lol

If you think the facial animations in this game are bad, I'm not convinced you've seen them.
This ^. This is one thing I honestly believe American games do MUCH better than Japanese games if you look at Resident Evil, SF, etc the lip syncing is not that good compared to say Halo, GTA, Injustice games etc Not just my gaming opinion but speaking as someone who's actually voice acted before....

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I think they're really well done, especially compared to other fighting games where you just see the mouth opening and a voice coming out. lol

This ^. This is one thing I honestly believe American games do MUCH better than Japanese games if you look at Resident Evil, SF, etc the lip syncing is not that good compared to say Halo, GTA, Injustice games etc Not just my gaming opinion but speaking as someone who's actually voice acted before....
You do realize that Japanese games are synched to the japanese words and for the american release the just replace the voices, right?

MKF30

You do realize that Japanese games are synched to the japanese words and for the american release the just replace the voices, right?
With dubbing games yes, but not every Japanese game is dubbed, depending on the game there's different versions like NRS games for example in South America are done by Spanish voice actors but I'm talking in general like they do the same thing for animes vs. American or Western Animation. The mouth movements are not in sync with the words they actually say. What I mean is you take your typical Anime or Japanese video game, when there's someone talking you see the jaw move up and down(it's not animated to the proper wording, lip movement regardless of the language)

I can post examples of this if you wish.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
With dubbing games yes, but not every Japanese game is dubbed, depending on the game there's different versions like NRS games for example in South America are done by Spanish voice actors but I'm talking in general like they do the same thing for animes vs. American or Western Animation. The mouth movements are not in sync with the words they actually say. What I mean is you take your typical Anime or Japanese video game, when there's someone talking you see the jaw move up and down(it's not animated to the proper wording, lip movement regardless of the language)

I can post examples of this if you wish.
It just depends how much time the studios want to put into synching the voices to the mouth movements. Most AAA titles come from US/EU studios who put a high value on realism and accuracy. When you look at Japanese AAA titles, the synching is usually pretty good.

Recently, it seems like the US studios like Rockstar have been using a new technology that literally captures the voice actors expressions. I'm guessing most Japanese studios aren't using this yet.

MKF30

It just depends how much time the studios want to put into synching the voices to the mouth movements. Most AAA titles come from US/EU studios who put a high value on realism and accuracy. When you look at Japanese AAA titles, the synching is usually pretty good.

Recently, it seems like the US studios like Rockstar have been using a new technology that literally captures the voice actors expressions. I'm guessing most Japanese studios aren't using this yet.
Yeah probably not given most of their games not looking as good in that area, NRS for the fighting genre also looks the best with the mouth muscles, they use the body suits with the little white balls on the face to literally capture each word for word which is cool. Not every studio does this though like you said.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
From what I've seen so far, the facial animations actually look quite good, especially if you put it next to games like Mass Effect Andromeda (lol).

And to be honest, I personally think Injustice 2 is the best looking fighting game currently (or soon to be) on the market. The lighting alone is very well done, dare I say better than even some AAA single player titles.