What's new

Question - Raiden If you could redesign Raiden´s variations

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
Hi guys, no pro here, but, ispired by this topic (http://testyourmight.com/threads/if-you-could-redesign-ermac´s-variations.53972/) from @14K, I have some fun to imagine a new Raiden for MKX.
He was one of my main in MK9 and the only one that return in MKX, however, I can’t play him anymore because I feel he’s pretty boring to see, fight with and against and mono-variation.
So, here some idea based of the actual gameplay to make him better, at least for me…

Basic Raiden:
- lose his -63 overhead. He now have a B33 string that hit low/low and a 34 string mid/overhead but slightly faster than now. So, he can have some mixup…
- he now have 4 basic specials across variations: shocker, vicinity blast, electric fly and teleport
- shocker is more punishable on block, as ex shocker. Ex shocker has armor but less active frames.
- vicinity blast remain similar but has a better hitbox to catch aerial jump in and not only crossup but doesn’t allow to follow up. Ex vicinity blast is more punishable on block but is easier to full combo after hit.
- electric fly: normal electric fly or superman doesn’t carry the enemy on the corner anymore. When Raiden hit an enemy with this move, he sent him slightly far from him. Ex superman can absorb one hit and send the enemy near the corner, better than normal superman.
This decision could change the Raiden corner rape game too much but I always found this boring and too much powerful in MKX.
- teleport: for me, it’s strange to see Raiden without his teleport so, a basic teleport across variations needs to be. It doesn’t need to be OP, but punishable with fast poke and fast normals because of his recovery. However it’s fast enough to allow teleport swaggy combo, the same that I love in MK9 and last but not least, he can do some teleport shenanigans and wiff punish the opponent. EX teleport could be the double teleport on MK9, without armor on wakeup but good to allow mind games and tricks midscreen.
About the varation:

Thunder God: actual TG is his best variation for damage, chip, meter gain and so on. I like the charging mechanic but since now it’s too powerful.
This variation, for me, is only for damage.
He have 4-5 new string with some mixup in but he can’t charge these strings on block but only on hit.
On hit and fully charged, the effect is similar to ex shocker and allow to full combo without using meter and build damage from 30 to 45 meterless . However, the strings are punishable on block and doesn’t cause chip or meter gain but he can meter burn them to create an electric explosion, remain + frames and follow up with some pressure.
Lightning bolt cancel is gone but I like the ex bolt idea that can be stopped to allow some mind games with his default teleport.

Displacer: this is all about teleport but since now, this variation is not good. So, for me, he needs more teleport options.
Normal teleport is similar to the regular teleport across the variations but can be cancelled using stamina.
He can teleport far behind or ahead the enemy after strings or blocked normals using stamina.
I like the idea to allow him to do some aerial teleport, however if he goes for an aerial teleport he automatically teleport on the ground but he can do the far version of it, so he can fake some crossup or jump in to do more mind games.
EX teleport is like the actual one, with armor and extremely fast and can be delayed as now.
He doesn’t have a projectile in this varation, it’s all about using the teleport to go far or near the opponent.
If the recovery frames are right, this idea of variation could be extremely valuable and fun.

Master of Storms: this variation is actually very fun but he needs some adjustments for me and it’s all about orbs trap.
First of all, up-ahead and up-behind orbs are pointless for me. He only need above, ahead and behind orbs.
If Raiden place a normal orbs, this doesn’t have an hitbox. However he can meter burn it to allow some popup (similar to Reptile).
Ex orbs have an hitbox and popup on hit, similar to Martian Manhunter on Injustice.
However, Raiden can’t summon a normal or ex orb if an ex orbs is already on screen.
Two normal orbs on screen create the trap that we already know.
Normal orbs stay on screen for less time than now and EX orbs stay for a few seconds before exploding.
So, we can have different options to make traps.
He also has the MK9 ex lightning bolt in this variation. I think he could be good in a similar variation.

So, this is my idea of Raiden.
It’s obviously a fun thread that doesn’t add anything in a gameplay perspective and I can’t see if he could be OP or more balanced across the variation.
The only sure thing is that I want to share my idea with better player and see who think that MKX Raiden could potentially be really better than now.
If only Raiden could be like this I will play him hella a lot!

Reactions: 14K
You can make his overhead safe with run cancelling and option selects. Run cancelling into F12 to end combos gives you enough hit advantage for safe mixups. If you think raiden has no mixups, you're playing raiden wrong.

Change him so that the connecting to online bug in Xbox One goes away so people can play the damn game.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
This is a topic about how Raiden could play and not how he actually play.
There are a ton of topic about that.
It's for fun and nothing else... :D

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Displacer gets MK9 teleport or something in that ballpark and loses the B33/B2 50/50 in favor of more spacing oriented mid launchers.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
I have a bunch of ideas on how to improve MOS and DISP but, they may come off as radical. Would be great of NRS could read over this and see if anything fits.

But, here goes:

DISPLACER

Gains all manner of new teleports, including:
  • Ground to Air (GTA) -- Similar to Kenshi, Possesed.
  • Air to Air (ATA) -- Similar to Shinnok, Imposter.
  • Air to Ground (ATG) -- Same properties of normal and EX teleport.
  • Uses stamina, but less than half a bar.
Air superman can be cancelled into ATA or ATG teleports.
  • Can only be cancelled once per combo.
  • Allows flashier combos, IE: 213, JIP, air superman~ATA, NJP, JIP, air superman (ETC)
Gains following change to EX teleport:
  • Delayed EX version makes him invulnerable, just like Ermac.
  • Holding UP during the down,up portion of the input makes him fake teleport, IE MK9 (not sure if this should require meter, maybe just stamina?).
  • EX version's "shadow" reflects projectiles? Or, maybe if a projectile hits the "shadow", Raiden consumes it and gets some of his meter back?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MASTER OF STORMS

MOS Vicinity Blast cancels much faster, similar to LRC.

Ability to fake/feint the motion of throwing an orb out (like Ryu's fireball taunt).

Ability to turn a lightning bolt projectile into a static orb, AND vice versa:
  • Uses stamina. Maybe 1/4.
  • Regular bolt turns into a single orb and maintains position.
  • EX bolt transforms into two orbs, spaced similarly to EX d,f+4, then activates normally. Uses 1/2 stamina.
  • An orb converting to a projectile always flies horizontally towards opponent, IE like a normal bolt.
  • Can potentially convert orb - bolt - orb multiple times(Stamina willing).
  • Cannot manipulate "air orbs" once 2nd one appears -- they will connect and animate as usual.
Ability to "call" an existing orb to himself, which swirls around him in a defensive manner:
  • Duration is renewed (10 seconds).
  • One orb provides one layer of armor against projectiles only. Orb is consumed if armor is used.
  • When a 2nd "air orb" is created, it behaves independently of the "body orb".
  • If a 2nd "air orb" is converted while a first "body orb" is swirling, they behave like two orbs normally do, however they only shock the opponent if they attack Raiden during the 1~2 second animation. Also, these connected "zapping orbs" reflect projectiles rather than give projectile armor. After this brief animation, both orbs disappear, just like normal.
  • Alternate version of dual "zapping" body orbs is that they give Raiden a damage aura similar to Noxious Reptile.
Well, there ya go. Probably extreme ideas for the most part, but at least it could give NRS something to work with -- idea wise.

Last edited: