What's new

Question iaTU: More than just an anti-zoning tool?

NKZero

Noob
I've been thinking about this a lot recently. This move is 8 frames. It leads to full combos on hit, it has to serve a greater purpose than just countering zoning.

I think it could work really well as a whiff punisher as well. Also you could always make it safe if you are worried about getting full combo punished by doing the EX version. Anyways while Sektor does have great whiff punishers, this one would have better range than anything available AND leads to a full combo.

Sektor's standard whiff punishers include:
  • B34: which is good but doesn't have the greatest range. Does grant you a full combo.
  • B21: better range but cannot be hit-confirmed. If you are really guaranteed a punish then you can B2-TU for a full combo but otherwise it's very hard to punish whiffed normals (that don't have ridiculously slow recovery).
  • B1 and F2: both have great range but B1 is a single hit that gives pushback and F2 is only one hit as well and allows you to continue pressure. Neither lead to extra GUARANTEED damage though.
  • Flame burner: does some solid damage but is over-used I feel by Sektor players just to throw out there if the opponent is in range.
This brings me on to iaTU...
The move as I mentioned earlier is 8 frames, which is quicker than any of the attacks listed above. On hit it leads to a full combo (iaTU-B21-B34-TU or iaTU-B21-B34-EX TU-ender of choice) and does a sizeable chunk of damage.

An example of where this works best is punishing Raiden's B3 or Cage's B3. The best part is that rather than risking getting caught by using an advancing whiff punisher like B2 (which is also slower in start-up), you can jump backwards to create an inch of extra space and cancel the jump into the iaTU.

Now this is not to say that you should fully rely on iaTU for whiff punishing from here on out. If you can get a B34 combo (because it's in range) then do it. If you know you're guaranteed a B2-TU and you aren't afraid of maybe getting caught as you bring yourself forward, go for it. Otherwise iaTU is your best bet. Risky but has great reward and you can reduce the risk if you use it properly.

Remember, always do iaTU on REACTION (not on read).

What do you guys think?

NKZero

Noob
way too unsafe

this isnt an EWGF.
Yes I'm aware it's unsafe but I'm trying to highlight the fact that you can use it for GUARANTEED punishes and it works well in ranges (with greater reward) than his other whiff punishing tools. It's got better range and you can make it safe if you really want to by doing EX iaTU instead. People need to learn to be more on point and use this tool for more than just an anti-zoning tool. It's too fast to be a one-trick pony.

And yes, it isn't an EWGF....go back to Tekken you doughnut! :mad:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yes I'm aware it's unsafe but I'm trying to highlight the fact that you can use it for GUARANTEED punishes and it works well in ranges (with greater reward) than his other whiff punishing tools. It's got better range and you can make it safe if you really want to by doing EX iaTU instead. People need to learn to be more on point and use this tool for more than just an anti-zoning tool. It's too fast to be a one-trick pony.

And yes, it isn't an EWGF....go back to Tekken you doughnut! :mad:
wat a nub

NKZero

Noob
Even if it isn't an EWGF, it's still very tough to do consistently. Mistime itand you'll end up doing it at the peak of your jump which'll get blocked and punished.
Never mind I found it in the frame data. To think that all this time I thought it was 8 frames lol. Oh well it's not that good in the footsie game then is it....

Can someone close this?

CYracks

Command Grabber
8 frames is too damn fast, that can't be right. It would mean you would be able to punish even the best zoning on reaction.

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
An 8 frame attack that hits anywhere on screen and can lead to a ~40% 1 bar combo? Hmmmm....

Nah...NDC would still be better.

LEGEND

YES!
its not very common for someone to wiff a move that recovers slowly enough to be punished by iATU

Still. Its something that im always on the look out for, and have been able to capitalize on more than a handful of times

Never mind I found it in the frame data. To think that all this time I thought it was 8 frames lol. Oh well it's not that good in the footsie game then is it....

Can someone close this?
it was worth bringing up