What's new

General/Other IAF on stick

aj1701

Noob
I need help with IAF. For some reason I just have a hard time with it, probably because I'm not at a point where I can be certain what direction I'm htting without the stick hitting the edge.

Anyway, someone said that [MENTION=1667]Osu 16 Bit[/MENTION] had a technique to use on stick that makes IAFs really easy. So, care to share? I looked but haven't seen anything from him about this posted here.

TIA!

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It wasn't me I play on a PS2 pad.

Maybe you're talking about Pig's instant air sai method using the analog stick? I think he rolls from up/back to forward.

All I do for IAF is tap up then d,f+1. I use no trick or secret method, just do it methodically but quickly and practice a lot.

Pagan

Noob
Don't know about any special trick.. you can't buffer inputs on the ground like you can in old SF games. For doing iaF try to get the input down slowly then once you get it down you can do it as fast as you want.

I think most Kitana players use PS2 pad tbh but you can do it on stick pretty easily.

aj1701

Noob
Thanks guys, I guess I was misinformed. I do just do the u df1, and if there's no trick, I suppose I'll keep practicing. I couldn't see going back to pad honestly, even though I still have some problems my execution is better on stick than it was on pad.

Thanks guys, I guess I was misinformed. I do just do the u df1, and if there's no trick, I suppose I'll keep practicing. I couldn't see going back to pad honestly, even though I still have some problems my execution is better on stick than it was on pad.
I never said it was a trick 0_______________0

Up down F+2, ez.

Pagan

Noob
I feel the same way. The Stick or hitbox is superior to the pad. Pad players don't know what they are missing out on!

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
For me using a stick, I press u/b then do the fan. If I used a pad, I would do it like Osu does.

aj1701

Noob
For me using a stick, I press u/b then do the fan. If I used a pad, I would do it like Osu does.
So you do up back, then do you just continue in a circle or go straight to df? Also, do you find the up back lets you get the fan out sooner due to the delay in jumping when doing a neutral jump?

[MENTION=4554]Pagan[/MENTION], I agree. Stick is just fun, whether I'm ever going to be good at it or not. Although I think playing on stick has helped me with execution on pad as well.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
So you do up back, then do you just continue in a circle or go straight to df? Also, do you find the up back lets you get the fan out sooner due to the delay in jumping when doing a neutral jump?

[MENTION=4554]Pagan[/MENTION], I agree. Stick is just fun, whether I'm ever going to be good at it or not. Although I think playing on stick has helped me with execution on pad as well.
I go from u/b and roll to d/f or f and it comes out extremely low.

I go from u/b and roll to d/f or f and it comes out extremely low.
i do this on Pad too. I think this is the best method for them to come out low.

But konqrr, is there a difference on speed?
Like Up back, rolling to df(f), vs straight up into df??

Somberness

Lights
i do this on Pad too. I think this is the best method for them to come out low.

But konqrr, is there a difference on speed?
Like Up back, rolling to df(f), vs straight up into df??
Neutral jump is actually the best way to do air projectiles low, the only problem is you can't do an instant neutral jump unless you buffer up. It takes 3 frames otherwise. You can do instant diagonal jumps but the games will wait up to the same 3 frames for you to press a direction when pressing up. Here is a comparison of the height of the fan at frame 12 of a perfect air projectile.
Diagonal jump http://i.imgur.com/G3aft.jpg
Neutral jump http://i.imgur.com/jAim4.jpg

I actually have some numbers of a perfect projectile.
Kitana NJ
Duration - 47
DPS - 10.2%
Fireballs/s - 1.28
Startup - 5+12
Recovery - 30
Kitana FJ/BJ
Duration - 49
DPS - 9.8%
Fireballs/s - 1.22
Startup - 5+12
Recovery - 32

A slight difference but nothing major.

Neutral jump is actually the best way to do air projectiles low, the only problem is you can't do an instant neutral jump unless you buffer up. It takes 3 frames otherwise. You can do instant diagonal jumps but the games will wait up to the same 3 frames for you to press a direction when pressing up. Here is a comparison of the height of the fan at frame 12 of a perfect air projectile.
Diagonal jump http://i.imgur.com/G3aft.jpg
Neutral jump http://i.imgur.com/jAim4.jpg

I actually have some numbers of a perfect projectile.
Kitana NJ
Duration - 47
DPS - 10.2%
Fireballs/s - 1.28
Startup - 5+12
Recovery - 30
Kitana FJ/BJ
Duration - 49
DPS - 9.8%
Fireballs/s - 1.22
Startup - 5+12
Recovery - 32

A slight difference but nothing major.
Hmm interesting. Honestly, against reptile or even kabal, i find the Np iafs work best.
Per say, how low it comes out doesnt matter, as long as it head level, but then again, the lower the fan, the faster it is due to her throwing the fan earlier rather than if she went higher.

Thanks for the reply, ill test both out to see which one suits me best.
At devastation, i stuck with BJ iafs, and they helped me wonderfully, i wonder if NJp would be the better option.

I know the differences are not major, but im gonna lean towards NJP iafs, like i said, against reptile and kabal, i feel i can trade with a chance.

I am still having trouble inputting the iAF on a pad... Mr. Mileena you do it perfectly! How do you input the iAF on the ps3 pad?

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
there is no trick, you just have to practice. I get lots of NJP on accident when I play online still.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I am still having trouble inputting the iAF on a pad... Mr. Mileena you do it perfectly! How do you input the iAF on the ps3 pad?
There is no shortcut for Kitana's Air Fans. Like Noserfatu said, practice... practice until your thumbs bleed ^_^

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
I really need to practice iAF. Birdsongs blew me up online in a kitana mirror largely due to her far superior iAFs. I practiced for about 20 mins yesterday and I can do them pretty well from the left side of the screen, but not the right side of the screen.

Also, my effing thumbs get tired/sore after a while. I don't know how you can maintain rapid fire iAFs without making mistakes. Whenever I play a sub and I mess up an iAF.. I get frozen and killed. I need to have confidence to iAF or I can't play Kitana in the matches she needs iAF to win.

I think its important to be able to iAF repeatedly and with a rhythm without tiring yourself out. Doing up, then df-1 works but it tires me out. I would love to be able to effortlessly roll them out like Mr. Mileena.

Anyone else have problems throwing fans from the right hand side of the screen? I can iAF like a champ if I use the joystick.. but going from joystick to pad in the middle of the match sounds like death.

aj1701

Noob
Noserfatu Yup, same here. IAFs for me on the left I can usually do pretty well, but if I'm on the right not as good. I think I just need to practice more. I actually mess up moves which cancel into cutter when I'm on the left though, so I guess it evens out.

No problems with my thumbs hurting since I started playing on stick though. :)