What's new

Question - Kitana I want to learn Kitana as a possible main. Should I start with RS or Assassin?

Which Kitana variation should I learn first?

• Royal Storm

• Assassin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leito360

Noob
Hello.
I main Sub-Zero Cryo and GM but I want to move to another character and I chose those to be Cassie and Kitana. I will start with the latter. I don't know if I should start with Assassin or RS.
RS seems very resourceful, and having SZ as a face-to-face option I could benefit from learning a full zoner like RS.
On the other hand.... Assassin is THE SHIT and it has lots of tools.

So... I WILL learn both of them, but which one is better for a Kitana noob and why? (Mournful is completely of the point here).

Espio

Kokomo
Royal Storm is the first choice for several reasons: Number one, it's far easier to play with more effective zoning and counterzoning alongside stronger footsie tools with her long ranged lift.

Square wave/ass is better versatility wise than Assassin dash and is a faster, more effective tool to check zoning with its armor.

There's nothing crazy of value lost learning Royal Storm first and focusing on it primarily.

Assassin's perks: You don't have to look at Crimson Chin all day, if you choose the alt color primary you are treated to exquisite colors, Assassin dash looks cool and parrying Tanya's dumb pressure is hilarious. As a heavy Assassin user, the nod still definitely goes to RS.

Sharpen is a good idea, but setting it up is tricky since it has pretty high recovery.

Last edited:

Altsa

Royal Storm has everything you could wish for, except the mask.

In my opinion Assassin is not the shit. It is just shit. The run special is trash, she gets out-zoned by everyone without the RS reflect, she does not have The Ass, you lose the ranged lift, you do not gain any better rushdown than RS has and Sharpen is utter crap. The parry has its uses and she does have the mask, though.

You can guess my vote.

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
If you're going to NOT learn a variation, it should be assassin not mournful

There is really no reason to choose it...except for the mask, I guess

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Why the hate on Mournful i actually think its better if not equal to RS.

My kitana tier list goes this way:

Mournful: 6/4
Royal Storm: 5/5
Assassin: 4/6 Shit variation, its cool dont get me wrong

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Royal Storm is the obvious choice. All of the tools in RS are superior to assassin. Ass / lift / reflect are all much better and / or safer than Dash / Parry / Sharpen.

The only reason to choose Assassin over RS is it looks cooler.

You will have a few people here saying to choose Mournful. If you want to play classic Kitana, (which it seems is the case) don't bother... if you want to play Jade instead of Kitana... go for it.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Lieto360: The most important questions to ask yourself is

1. AM I PLANNING TO ENTER GAME TOURNAMENTS? If your answer is yes, then you might want to start using the most brain-dead variation (all KITANA variations are brain-dead anyway) that will give you a better chance at winning.

Question 2. AM I ONLY GOING TO PLAY FOR FUN AND DON"T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT TOURNAMENTS? If your answer is yes then choose the variation that looks the coolest, has the nicest looking moves and the easiest learning curve to get really good at. This way you can sort of live through the character every time you play and get lost in the game where the real fun is at.

Choose yourself, don't ask anyone here at TYM because the so-called hard core players here will just refer you to the cheapest-most-brain-dead-projectile spamming variation that will only make people decline once they see you choose Kitana online, and that's no fun.

Last edited:

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
RS is the variation you need to go for. You could go Mournful if you think you are capable of running away from your opponent all day and whenever you punish your opponent you can land the 35% combo using one bar. The Mournful combos are very tricky when it comes to timing so....

Leito360

Noob
Well, I'm going for RS then.
I know eventually I will learn all three, but RS is the one I will put more time between all of them.
Thank you all for your answers :)

Mr.EditUndo

Meterburn the Meterburn
Why did you pick sub-zero? Put her in the lab and whatever version feels better to you pick it. I picked assassin day one because I like parries and sharpen seemed to be great. RS is IMO better after all this time, but not my playstyle. also dont let looks be a factor otherwise you would see a bunch of warrior preds runing around.

welcome to the fan-ily

Leito360

Noob
Why did you pick sub-zero? Put her in the lab and whatever version feels better to you pick it. I picked assassin day one because I like parries and sharpen seemed to be great. RS is IMO better after all this time, but not my playstyle. also dont let looks be a factor otherwise you would see a bunch of warrior preds runing around.

welcome to the fan-ily
I always start MK as Sub Zero until I learn how the other kombatants react (moves, reaction time, etc), then, I move to a character of my liking... The problem is that there are lots of characters I like in X. Kung Jin; Cassie; Pred; Tremor; Kitana; Kenshi, Johnny... and all of them divided in 3 variations... lots of choices.

Mr.EditUndo

Meterburn the Meterburn
I always start MK as Sub Zero until I learn how the other kombatants react (moves, reaction time, etc), then, I move to a character of my liking... The problem is that there are lots of characters I like in X. Kung Jin; Cassie; Pred; Tremor; Kitana; Kenshi, Johnny... and all of them divided in 3 variations... lots of choices.
Truly a good problem to have, but still kinda of overwhelming. Especially since you have to commit a lot of time to be even decent with a character in this game. Im still haven't decided on who to pick up next but Im leaning towards ethereal.