What's new

I need further clarification on Negative Edge

I've read the sticky, but, I'm still not quite getting it fully. From what I understand negative edge is when you end up doing a move you do not want to.

So lets suppose, Kabal has his 11 B4~BF4? I'm assuming this has negative edge? I say this because you're inputting the B twice?

I'm not quite getting an idea of this concept, if anyone could explain it better I guess would help. The characters I use are Kabal, Reptile, Sub, so if they have any, please tell me so, so I can understand it better since I'm familiar with those characters.

Tremloc

Noob
negative edge just means the game is "saving" inputs for you to make it easier to do moves. For sub you can see it with the 214 slide combo. If you input the b,f4 too early the game will think you want to do 21 slide instead of 214 slide. Basically the game is trying to make up for what it thinks is your bad execution. In most games it's pretty helpful but in MK the negative edge window is so freaking large you could drive a damn mac truck through it.

I have problems with nightwolf 122~hatchet combo. Try it in practice mode. Often when I try and do 122~hatchet I end up getting choke instead because d,f2 is choke and d,f1 is hatchet. Even though I've input 122~hatchet the game is "saving" the last 2 and since I've input d,f quickly after it thinks I want to do choke.

Another way of thinking about it is you can essentially do moves out of order, like for sub zeros slide 4,b,f instead of b,f4.

davidovitch

In Europe!
I have problems with nightwolf 122~hatchet combo. Try it in practice mode. Often when I try and do 122~hatchet I end up getting choke instead because d,f2 is choke and d,f1 is hatchet. Even though I've input 122~hatchet the game is "saving" the last 2 and since I've input d,f quickly after it thinks I want to do choke.

Another way of thinking about it is you can essentially do moves out of order, like for sub zeros slide 4,b,f instead of b,f4.
I think the game only 'saves' the last button input to be used in a move so input the nightwolf combo.. I mean kombo, like this: 1221, then d,f

The d,f will then be applied to the 1 since that was the last button you pressed.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
For sub you can see it with the 214 slide combo. If you input the b,f4 too early the game will think you want to do 21 slide instead of 214 slide.[/QUOT
There are ways around it, however. Try 212 slide instead for easier execution, but be warned, the linking animation looks awkward.

Tremloc

Noob
I think the game only 'saves' the last button input to be used in a move so input the nightwolf combo.. I mean kombo, like this: 1221, then d,f

The d,f will then be applied to the 1 since that was the last button you pressed.
Yes, but that's retarded. The negative edge shouldn't be so large that I have to input the command out of order to get it to work.

@SilverKeyMan - I don't have a problem linking 214~slide, I was just using it as an example since the OP said he used SZ. The delay you have to incorporate to get around the 21~slide though is gigantic and illustrates the problem with MK's negative edge.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
As far as I know man Kabal doesn't have any Negative Edge so you don't have much to worry about. I do think that you can use 1,1,1,b,b and do the three punchs then a gas blast, but I'm not totally sure.

If you wanna understand Negative Edge better than just play Nightwolf for an hour. Everything he does has a Neg Edge. Such as 1,2,2,D,F does a combo then a choke. B+2,2,D,F does a choke after the combo. F+3,1,D,F does the footsie, stab, and then a hatchet swing for the juggle. Another is you can do a 1,1, combo then press D,B and shoot his bow.

I've never understood if this was just a design oversight or done on purpose myself, but I know most characters don't really have to worry about it.