What's new

I make Nightwolf look bad...

...and I don't want to. I just can't seem to do anything right. I haven't played a Mortal Kombat (or any fighter for that matter), since the Street Fighter Two Turbo days (dating myself unfortunately). But a few friends had this game so I decided to join the fun. And I'm bad. Very bad. So i'm hoping for a little basic help here, and hopefully if anyone else is lurking who is embarressed to admit they stink, they can at least read it here. =).

I think I understand the general basics of how Nightwolf is supposed to be played, I just can't do them. Anytime I try to put pressure on someone, they get away, or wakeup attack me or uppercut me. However if I try to keep pressure on staying out of range of these types of attacks, they get up and block and move on with their day because I'm too far away. So question one is, how do you keep pressure on?

I've read a lot of advice here about the Safe String that starts with f+3, but they either block it when they get up, or they are too far away, and it ends with me doing it once or twice and eating some attack from them. I know I'm doing something glaringly wrong, that is probably basic, but I don't know what it is for the life of me.

On the other hand, when a player is in my face, I get destroyed. My most common opponent is a friend who plays Sonya, and the guy is constantly in my grill throwing the kitchen sink at me. And once I'm knocked down, he has a plethora of attacks that need to be blocked either high or low, but all start low (her military stance junk), so my wakeup shoulder doesn't hit him, and the hatchet seems to be 50/50. This is just an example, but in general pressure wrecks me.

So...I guess what it comes down to is, I'm sick of giving Nightwolf a bad name, and getting out pressured by anyone and everyone who picks up a controller. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

King

Sig Maker
Read the Nightwolf Guide Thread here at the Nightwolf forums. In addition, learn to get better reads on your opponents - mix in throws, your safe command grab, F3,2 pressure etc.

consistantly use hatchets for anti-airs when you know they are about to jump in. Create space with nightwolf to zone out your opponent. When you have created space you can do the lightning attack if they are turtling (blocking). If you hit them with the lightning they are most likely going to jump next time..this is when they get hit by an arrow. If they try to throw projectiles you can reflect them back at them also. Up close mix up f3 on block by doing f3b4, f31, f312 f3 throw etc. if it hits then f31~hatchet hatchet shoulder for a nice little combo (not the best combo for nightwolf but simple to do for you). At medium range you want to shoulder charge them to keep them in check. Wake up shoulder is your friend, except when they expect it. they will usually jump or duck out of the way (react accordingly) nightwolf pretty much is suppose to bully his way into the corner so if you get them in the corner you can just loop f312 if your not sure what combo to do

also, some notable tips are..

*nightwolfs exshoulder has armor (can go through projectiles)
*hatcher is a good anti-air but CAN be jumped over for a full combo
*the 122 string starter hits overhead on last hit
*dont use lightning unless your about a 3/4 or more screen away.
*exchoke has armor and can punish jump ins

those are just a few tips, other threads on this forum will help you alot

Thanks for the responses!

I have read through the Nightwolf stuff, that's essentially where I've based what little bit I do know on. I think my problem is much more of an execution situation. I know what I'm trying to do, I just can't do it. The whole f+3 thing just doesn't seem to get it done for me. I end up getting blown up and instead of putting pressure on someone, they are putting pressure on me and I crumble.

What do you do once an opponent catches on to wake up shoulders? The only other thing I have any success with is d3 to get them off, but then they are back on me again within 10 seconds. I've tried just plain blocking, but that doesn't seem to work often either.

As for combos, I've been working on the BnB discussed in the other thread in practice mode (hatchet, b+2, hatchet, d 1, d 122 shoulder), but I can't do the d 122 part. When I just walk up to my opponent I can do 122 shoulder, but its like i lose all hand eye coordination when I'm juggling someone, and I cant do the final part, so I end up just shouldering them after the d 1. I think I just need countless more hours of practice to get serviceable. Thanks for the responses so far!

Thanks for the responses!

I have read through the Nightwolf stuff, that's essentially where I've based what little bit I do know on. I think my problem is much more of an execution situation. I know what I'm trying to do, I just can't do it. The whole f+3 thing just doesn't seem to get it done for me. I end up getting blown up and instead of putting pressure on someone, they are putting pressure on me and I crumble.

What do you do once an opponent catches on to wake up shoulders? The only other thing I have any success with is d3 to get them off, but then they are back on me again within 10 seconds. I've tried just plain blocking, but that doesn't seem to work often either.

As for combos, I've been working on the BnB discussed in the other thread in practice mode (hatchet, b+2 hatchet, d 1, d 122 shoulder), but I can't do the d 122 part. When I just walk up to my opponent I can do 122 shoulder, but its like i lose all hand eye coordination when I'm juggling someone, and I cant do the final part, so I end up just shouldering them after the d 1. I think I just need countless more hours of practice to get serviceable. Thanks for the responses so far!
for the (anything into) hatchet b2 hatchet dash 1 dash 122 shoulder just try doing anything into hatchet hatchet 1 dash 1 dash 122 shoulder. If you consistantly drop the combo then just learn an easier but damaging one that you KNOW will hit them everytime. In the meantime of not playing an opponent try the Main BnB in practice mode till your fingers hurt.

for 1 bar of meter you can do this very simple combo

anythinginto hatchet b2~Exhatchet b2~choke (about 40%)

A lot of people mention to use hatchet as anti-air but I somewhat disagree.

Nightwolf's primary anti-air should be his 7-frame uppercut.

If your opponent is jumping in and you feel like you have more time to react and want more damage than an uppercut use standing 1 xx hatchet.

Nightwolf's standing 1 has a pretty decent hitbox and comes out in 9 frames (10 frames faster than hatchet), and can then be cancelled into Hatchet.

Depending on how high they are in the air for a juggle should determine your combo of choice but typically you can use this pretty reliably:

AA Combo:

1, hatchet, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 122 shoulder which I think is around 26-32% damage for anti-air.

A lot of people mention to use hatchet as anti-air but I somewhat disagree.

Nightwolf's primary anti-air should be his 7-frame uppercut.

If your opponent is jumping in and you feel like you have more time to react and want more damage than an uppercut use standing 1 xx hatchet.

Nightwolf's standing 1 has a pretty decent hitbox and comes out in 9 frames (10 frames faster than hatchet), and can then be cancelled into Hatchet.

Depending on how high they are in the air for a juggle should determine your combo of choice but typically you can use this pretty reliably:

AA Combo:

1, hatchet, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 122 shoulder which I think is around 26-32% damage for anti-air.
hey morty im xxsuckonthisxxx on xbl i played a few games with you on the stream the other night! good shit man