What's new

General/Other - Royal Storm I Have Learned Respect.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME

I am a Kitana main now.

I could tell you the stories of my lifelong attachments to her.
How she was the first MK character I ever played or beat an MK game with (MKII). How I've played her in every release she's ever been in, but I never sought her out as my competitive weapon in MK9 because I watched players like CD Sr, Mr. Mileena, 16 Bit, KP and Trepound and the lot religiously and I never thought I'd be able to offer anything on their level, and that that always held me back in said MK9 (and is probably why I was always better at Injustice, because I had no hesitations or reservations).
I could tell you how the Deadly Alliance alternate skintight pink suit is the finest damn skin they ever put on her until they made her RS Tournament costume.

But instead, I will simply say that I, beyond all shadow of doubt, will be walking amongst you for the rest of my MKX days.

May we all bring justice and triumph to our beloved Edenian shores.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Welcome to the family. ;)
:D many thanks, my friend. It's been a long, long road to get here...

So my first question...as the title would lead you to believe, Royal Storm will be my main of all main variations; however, I'm very much open to exploring Assassin and Mournful if/when necessary in the name of difficult matches or more advantageous circumstances.
Are there any MU's or character-specific gimmicks that it would be most wise to switch in? Is it still too soon to tell? Or could it safely be said that RS can hold its own without altering course?

Mournful against quan, kenshi, mainly the characters that zone or counter zone Kitana well. I use Assassin for characters like Cassie cage with strong footsies. Just my preference

Doozy

kitana 4 ever Add DARK CHIMP V2 ON xb1
assassin all day for me but could you teach me mournful sometime

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
:D many thanks, my friend. It's been a long, long road to get here...

So my first question...as the title would lead you to believe, Royal Storm will be my main of all main variations; however, I'm very much open to exploring Assassin and Mournful if/when necessary in the name of difficult matches or more advantageous circumstances.
Are there any MU's or character-specific gimmicks that it would be most wise to switch in? Is it still too soon to tell? Or could it safely be said that RS can hold its own without altering course?
In my experience RS can basically hold its own against anyone. The fear of being caught in a ~30% combo for jumping is a big meta breaker in this game, and that leaves you open to explore Kitana's footsie options such as f112, f22, and d1.

If you do switch to MRN out of personal preference or interest just be wary of the gaps in her strings when cancelled into glaives, ending blocked strings with a shadow kick is safer. Also, because you're giving up the stronger air control people will be more likely to jump, so make sure to have your trip guards and spacing on point.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
In my experience RS can basically hold its own against anyone. The fear of being caught in a ~30% combo for jumping is a big meta breaker in this game, and that leaves you open to explore Kitana's footsie options such as f112, f22, and d1.

If you do switch to MRN out of personal preference or interest just be wary of the gaps in her strings when cancelled into glaives, ending blocked strings with a shadow kick is safer. Also, because you're giving up the stronger air control people will be more likely to jump, so make sure to have your trip guards and spacing on point.
Hmm...that is a tough trade. But at the same time, one that can be used to Kitty's advantage. Sometimes the best weapon you can have is your opponent's belief of the fight the THINK they're going to have...plus, I miss poor really dead Jade, so even if just for entertainment value I could see myself doing the Mournful dance.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Its about time. :p
I see Kenshi and I have some familiar company :D.
It had to be done, and she treats me just too damn good for me not to serve her. As much as I love Kenny, I can't ignore the damage the Princess is capable of doing in ways he simply cannot. And she is so similar in RS to MK9 Kitana that it's literally just a matter of the few nuances between them/trading Cutter for Fan-nado and I'm practically playing the same character. Plus, she eliminates almost completely my one biggest fear in how viability will translate online: no run cancel combos midscreen or the corner = no worries of being dependent on tactics that may not be reliable in lag.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
How I've played her in every release she's ever been in, but I never sought her out as my competitive weapon in MK9 because I watched players like CD Sr, Mr. Mileena, 16 Bit, KP and Trepound and the lot religiously and I never thought I'd be able to offer anything on their level, and that that always held me back in said MK9 (and is probably why I was always better at Injustice, because I had no hesitations or reservations).
So basically none of the Kitanas are good enough with the character in this game to make you think you couldn't be as good as them. That has to be the subtlest blowup I've ever seen, commendations :DOGE

Crimea

Noob
Plus, she eliminates almost completely my one biggest fear in how viability will translate online: no run cancel combos midscreen or the corner = no worries of being dependent on tactics that may not be reliable in lag.
lol, you need run cancel for fullscreen 33% anti air combo and midscreen 46% with EX fans. It's very important

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
So basically none of the Kitanas are good enough with the character in this game to make you think you couldn't be as good as them. That has to be the subtlest blowup I've ever seen, commendations :DOGE
...damn, I did kinda accidentally sideways shit on the Kitty clan there -.- ...

Let me elaborate...in MK9, when I first started out/before I even knew TYM existed, I was just a filthy casual trying to have fun. And one of my favorite ways to have fun in MK had always been throwing fans and kicking ass with Kitana. She is my favorite of all the females with the exception of Ashrah, and is just the right balance of simple and pain in the ass to play to always feel rewarded. So when I did join the FGC, while I had started playing Cyrax, learning what went into being competitive, etc., I was also keeping a close eye on the Kitana uprising of 2011, culminating in @Mr. Mileena revealing himself to the world in that amazing set against Reo at Devastation, and between how much Cyrax was helping me grow as a player and seeing how insanely good the Kitana community was as a whole at its apex, I pretty much mindfucked myself out of ever being a one woman Box.

But now, I can atone for my misdeeds.