What's new

Breakthrough - Displacer I HAVE A HAT NOW - Gathering The Mains!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
BOX HAS JOINED THE RANKS OF THE GOD OF THUNDER

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY <3

...*ahem*...sorry, it's just I haven't been this excited about picking up a new character since MK9.

HELLO RAIDEN PLAYERS!
As some of you may know, I am Lt. Boxy Static. The resident eccentric square of TYM, longtime Kenshi player/complete and utter masochist, and a very big fan of all things Thunder. And recently, amidst my frustrations of being in between tweaking my Takeda and trying to shift Sub-Zero gears from Cryo to Grandmaster so that all my secondaries are ready for NEC, I decided to see how well our friend Raiden fit my style now that the game itself has changed and feels much more friendly towards patience and methodical play.
And man...I have not been disappointed in the least.
THIS IS RAIDEN. This is how I envisioned Raiden whenever I've theory fought in my head, how he's supposed to feel and move and hit. I feel as though Displacer embodies the character and all his lore and badassery perfectly, that this is the best he has been since MK Deception when he had to save the whole damn world himself.

tl;dr: Boxy plays Raiden now.
Who else is still out there representing Thunder all day every day?
TEACH ME, FRIENDS.
SHOW ME THE PATH TO ENLIGHTENMENT.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Welcome to the Raiden Kommunity. Some of those guys will help you out for Displacer.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
The Thunder club is getting bigger, good! I'll assume most of you guys will be playing Displacer. Couple of things about the variation:

- Optimal combo off of your 6-frame F1 is the infamous F12B2 (x3), BF3 for 32%. This combo is extremely difficult execution-wise though and also takes a lot of your stamina. Instead you can do F12B2, 11, F12B2xxBF3 for 27% as a far easier and less stamina intensive combo.

- Teleport keeps about the same block advantage as the moves you cancel it into. This means that F22+4xxTeleport is +2 on block, after which you can do your 8-frame B1 to catch most characters trying to poke.

- Far teleport is a thing and it's quite good. Remember to use it. It also leaves in you in perfect F4 range.

- EX-teleport has armor on wakeup. As of the recent patch, Down+Up inputs are much easier to perform on wakeup so you can use EX teleport as an easy way to get out of the corner.

- F22+4 and F12B2 give good damage mid-combo. Don't be satisfied with just ending midscreen combos in B14~Superman, you can get far more damage.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Question #1: Now that it seems like Displacer is the alpha variation over TG, is there any validity to a strategy of using the B14 restand as a positioning/mixup/continuing pressure tool rather than just an ender into Superman?

I don't know what you guys have come up with over the game's life, so I don't know if it's been debunked or not because I kinda suck at translating frame data in my head...but when I see it, the first thing I immediately think of is MK9 Kabal's F4, which for those of you who weren't around for it was pretty much his most prominent ender among Kabal players because it capitalized on his lack of big midscreen damage by making it so that there was never a knockdown for the opponent to regroup and return fire from. Keep the pressure on, keep the momentum going, keep swinging until they break your stride and swing back.
But I'm wondering how applicable that would be in Raiden's case in Displacer as far as plus frames and recovery and all that are concerned, between the Bolt or the Teleport, or just going for a throw or a mixup, etc...

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Question #1: Now that it seems like Displacer is the alpha variation over TG, is there any validity to a strategy of using the B14 restand as a positioning/mixup/continuing pressure tool rather than just an ender into Superman?
Midscreen you should always end in superman. B14~DB1 leaves the opponent at jump distance (often further than that) and at +9 where your options are very limited. Meanwhile Superman is like +25 on hit which gives you midscreen oki to work with. In the corner the restand is of course a good way to negate wakeups and force the opponent to make a choice between armoring or not armoring. It's also a good way to build meter with F12B2~DF2 seeing as F1 is guaranteed after the restand.

But I'm wondering how applicable that would be in Raiden's case in Displacer as far as plus frames and recovery and all that are concerned, between the Bolt or the Teleport, or just going for a throw or a mixup, etc...
F4 is best used in the neutral for + frames on block or a chunk of damage into oki. Besides that its other uses involve specific setups, like reversing your opponent's wakeup in Displacer or setting up an orb in Master of Storms.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Yeah Raiden's gameplan doesn't change in any of the variations, you always take them to the corner after a nice mid-screen dinner.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Welcome to the club! I am still a TG mainer, but then again, I am just a casual player and I simply love the lightning strings too much. Displacer is my second variation, mainly because it's classic Raiden and I love teleporting. Speaking of MK Deception, back in those days one of my staple strategies was F1 ~ Teleport ~ Free Throw (ah the memories!). And MoS is so much fun, especially now with the increased proximity damage on single orbs.