What's new

I don't understand this neutral jump punch business

Mario445

Noob
In almost all of Reptile's good combo's they require a neutral jump punch in the middle. Now, I've been experimenting with switching stances and that alters the quickness Reptile can jump punch in the air. With one of the jump punches the combos work but with the alternate one it doesn't. I'm so confused. It's really random.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
It's really strict on timing. I assume you're doing 321 elbow dash into neutral jump punch? Try, as soon as you input the elbow dash, to just hold up, and "piano" both punch buttons (slide your finger over the punch buttons very quickly). I practiced this for maybe 20 minutes having never done a NJP combo with reptile, and now I can get it to come out 90% of the time. Mess around with it for awhile man, you'll get it.

tweek

Noob
In almost all of Reptile's good combo's they require a neutral jump punch in the middle. Now, I've been experimenting with switching stances and that alters the quickness Reptile can jump punch in the air. With one of the jump punches the combos work but with the alternate one it doesn't. I'm so confused. It's really random.
Online or training? Online is terrible to get this right due to slight lag you'll get even if your connection is tiptop. In training is just a matter of trying for as long as it takes. I know from my own example.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Yes, definitly do the piano method. 3,2,1-elbow dash-up-and then slide your thumb accross 1 then 2. It takes practice but you will eventually get it. The njp off of his 1,2,2-forceball is more of a timing thing. I don't use the piano methos there.

If you're playing online and going for damage I recommend the 3,2, EXFFB, NJP, 3,2, SFB, 321 slide or just end on SFB and go for oki on wakeup. That will get you 41 - 43% with a JIP. The whiff dash combo will get you 45% for a bar. You can do better with no bars with the dash whiff, but online it isn't always an option really.

Theme

Noob
I cannot for the life of me do the NJP after elbow dash. God damn, the piano isn't working for me at all :(

Anyone have any tips for me?

arydious

Noob
I thought it was impossible as well but, the piano trick is how i got it done. as soon as you finish 3 2 1 elbow dash press up and piano the njp. It worked for me after a couple tries. The only bad part about this is the first one you lands you will be so happy you will forget to do the rest of the combo lol

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Only tip I have is practice practice practice. I won't lie it took me a good 3 weeks to get this down and still its not 100%.

Theme

Noob
How much does this combo do? I found an easier way.

Instead of NJPing, I just elbow dash into EN Force ball. Skip the NJP altogether, seeing how unreliable it might be sometimes. I cant be dropping it in a match.

11 hits for 38%, but I have to use a bar, a normal FF wont work.

A more reliable guarantee combo is 32 EX Fast FF, NJP, 32 S FF, 321 slide for 11 hits at 40%. Jump ins for 43%.

arydious

Noob

Instead of NJPing, I just elbow dash into EN Force ball. Skip the NJP altogether, seeing how unreliable it might be sometimes. I cant be dropping it in a match.

A more reliable guarantee combo is 32 EX Fast FF, NJP, 32 S FF, 321 slide for 11 hits at 40%. Jump ins for 43%.
With jip i believe it does 40% no meter. Just practice it and it will just click one day. I have seen Chris G pull it off in some of his matches, so if he thinks its good enough to use then it probably is.

Theme

Noob
It looks great. It does great damage no meter. No doubt its great, but I cant pull it off now, much less online. I'll keep trying, but I think the 1 bar is worth it more because simply it doesnt fail me. I almost never whiff it.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
It looks great. It does great damage no meter. No doubt its great, but I cant pull it off now, much less online. I'll keep trying, but I think the 1 bar is worth it more because simply it doesnt fail me. I almost never whiff it.
Get that 1 bar combo out of your head. Have some confidence. The 40% meterless midscreen is worth the practice. Play with the timing of the punch buttons. Maybe you have to piano them sooner than you think. Or later. Don't just do it over and over in the same timing because your timing could be wrong, know what I mean? The combo isn't as hard as you're making it sound, I think you're just psyching yourself out! Youcandoeeet!

Theme

Noob
Get that 1 bar combo out of your head. Have some confidence. The 40% meterless midscreen is worth the practice. Play with the timing of the punch buttons. Maybe you have to piano them sooner than you think. Or later. Don't just do it over and over in the same timing because your timing could be wrong, know what I mean? The combo isn't as hard as you're making it sound, I think you're just psyching yourself out! Youcandoeeet!
Dude I love you. I was in the lab after reading this post and then now I am able to actually get the jump off after the elbow dash. Now Im not just doing the damned acid hand lolol... Im whiffing 90% of the time on the punch itself, but when I get it, I got so excited I drop the combo lol. But damn this combo is sick. Still in the lab. Thanks bro, the piano technique is working somewhat for me now.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
I remember it took me a few weeks to reliably do either of the damn combos (i piano roll both the 122fb and the 321 whiff njp)... you guys can do it! It just takes dedication. When you're practicing, it's important to NOT get yourself in a rhythm while you're messing it up.... this will only brand the WRONG way to do it into your muscle memory. Don't jump the gun and keep trying over and over and over...take a breath and blink when you mess up. visualize what went wrong. If it takes time it means you're doing it right.

As for online, I wouldn't take it online until you can go thru Expert Ladder landing it consistently the whole way through. It's not a test of "good opponents" (CPU is a joke in this game), but rather that you can use it situationally and under pressure. That way, even when the online is lagging, you know the button timing without having to see it happening on the screen (and thus will be less affected by lag).

Reptile is so rewarding when you can do it right! Good luck, guys!

Did you just ignore everything I said earlier? lol. jesus.

Kuai Liang

Tundra
I've been actually landing the njp online. But I practice my combos for an hour everyday usually before I get online and play. Not that it has anything to do with it. But I like to the combos fresh in my head everyday and it helps. So when I actually land the combo, I don't freak out and say crap what was the next step. I just started doing the 3,2,1 online because I've been usually doing 1,2,2 FB, 3,2 SB, 3,2,1, slide but since I can land that njp consistently I've been going for that lately.