What's new

Question I am having a hard time learning Harley Quinn

I am some what new to the fighting game genre I played some older fighting games such as street fighter. But didn't really get started learning games till mk9. With all of that aside Harley Quinn is the most appealing character to me in the game buy i have an extremely hard time string anything together with her. Or just learning how to space and play her in general. Anyone have any tips or some bnb's to help me get her down anything would be great thanks

Goldi

Noob
I understand this all too well lol. Baby steps. Block and poke. That's all I've been doing trying to learn her spacing. I get absolutely wrecked lol but I'm learning.

It's going painfully slowly for me. Learning new game, new character, all new match ups and now the stages want to get involved... It's a big adjustment. Try not to get intimidated, just go slow with the basics and learn at your own pace piece by piece. It will all come together again eventually :)

cpmd4

Slaughter is the Best Medicine
I've been spending a lot of time in practice mode. I think her main BnB is JI2 >b2,2 > Tantrum~1 > b3 > JI2 > JI2 > 1,2 > Play Doctor.
Play Doctor is pretty difficult to pull off at first (practice using this, it's her best ender), and I have a lot of trouble using it on a juggled opponent so if it turns out you can't end with it, you can always replace the end starting with the second jump-in with b1,2,1 > Line of Fire. This is very easy to do.

Make sure you can do tantrum stance consistently and fast, without rolling out of it. I had that problem at first, just make sure you don't do back and 1 at the same time, or sometimes the movement will process after the 1 and cause you to roll back.

Also check out this video. It's really helpful.

I'm still in the process of learning as well. So good luck to you!

Harley doesn't seem like she has anything she can abuse in order to get wins. Her playstyle is weird and situational, so you'll just have to trick your opponent. IMO the best thing this game does is reward players who are fans of DC lore because the characters play a lot like they fight in the comics. Doomsday, Superman, Lex Luthor, Harley Quinn, Joker, Bane, Batman are all great examples of this.

So be as tricky and as slippery as you can be while staying relatively safe. Use her MB Pop Pop in the neutral game. Don't neglect her other strings besides the ones leading into full 40% combos. B22 is gonna be what players fear about her so take advantage of that. A lot of her normals have great range and hitboxes compared to characters like Black Adam so use them. People get frustrated when they get hit Period. It doesn't and shouldn't have to lead into that 40% combo that you have practiced.

Speaking of the 40% combo it cannot be overlooked that many characters need to spend meter in order to get that high. Be creative in how you spend meter. Your character allows for that.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Harley doesn't seem like she has anything she can abuse in order to get wins. Her playstyle is weird and situational, so you'll just have to trick your opponent. IMO the best thing this game does is reward players who are fans of DC lore because the characters play a lot like they fight in the comics. Doomsday, Superman, Lex Luthor, Harley Quinn, Joker, Bane, Batman are all great examples of this.

So be as tricky and as slippery as you can be while staying relatively safe. Use her MB Pop Pop in the neutral game. Don't neglect her other strings besides the ones leading into full 40% combos. B22 is gonna be what players fear about her so take advantage of that. A lot of her normals have great range and hitboxes compared to characters like Black Adam so use them. People get frustrated when they get hit Period. It doesn't and shouldn't have to lead into that 40% combo that you have practiced.

Speaking of the 40% combo it cannot be overlooked that many characters need to spend meter in order to get that high. Be creative in how you spend meter. Your character allows for that.
This!!!

I used Vega/Claw in SF series.. He is such a rare character that I have been unable to find his "fun to me" equivalent in any fighting game- till Harley Quinn. She is not a charge character, but she is a character that appears weak and easily taken advantage of.. And one that I pride on training my opponents to do hat I want and punish them for it. That's right.. Keep chasing me..... WHAMMMMM- Caught you! Runaway.. Set it up and lore them again. Loving her!!!

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.

Instant air gunshot works wonders and is very abuseable. She is very strange though, not the best at zoning, but not a slouch up close either. You have options for the most part from anywhere really. Do I test with gun shots or do a quick silly slide into tantrum? Also I like the mb pop pop mention. +1. If it didn't dud at the worst possible moments....:/

Also to add: MB cupcake bomb or w/e its called is friggin' amazing. I'm still trying to figure out what to do when I hit someone with it. (my execution is not 100% by any stretch of the word)

Bolton

Noob
I'm sorry, but I don't think Harley Quinn is half as complicated as a lot of people make her out to be. It's easy to get in as well as lock someone out, abuse the EX Cupcakes > Pistols OR an SS xx TS and the SS xx TS by itself. If you can just land a TS1, that's a 40% combo right there. Harley Quinn has a multitude of tools at her disposal, really fast dash in form of SS, fast high projectile, pretty fast low slide that leads to 40%, overhead projectiles that do massive damage and can have Pistols or cover your approach, good and fast normals.. etc. etc. I'm not convinced that Pop Gun is as awesome as people say it is, and think people put too much focus on something I think is purely made to just fuck with the other guy's head than it is to actually do damage or set up pressure (rather than exploit pressure already made).

The only thing that really needs to be paid close attention to is the fact that it's so easy to accidentally roll out of TS. If you can just get rid of that problem, Harley is a very easy character to rack up easy wins with. On a technical level against higher level players, I don't think it's too much of a challenge either, but I don't really have that sort of knowledge or intuition to make an accurate judgment call on that situation.

arydious

Noob
Bolton I agree with you on most of your post

The one thing I get so pissed about with Harley is rolling out of my damn Tantrum Stance. So many perfect set up and then, Oh wait she rolled F$*&, it can make or break in some games.

Otherwise I love Harley You can sit back and mess with people by firing your guns and throwing cupcake bombs to zone them and then in a split second with Silly Slide be all up in there face doing tantrum stance into a 40% combo. Her Tantrum stance is so easy to pull off the level transitions as well which always lead to 40% plus

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
This!!!

I used Vega/Claw in SF series.. He is such a rare character that I have been unable to find his "fun to me" equivalent in any fighting game- till Harley Quinn. She is not a charge character, but she is a character that appears weak and easily taken advantage of.. And one that I pride on training my opponents to do hat I want and punish them for it. That's right.. Keep chasing me..... WHAMMMMM- Caught you! Runaway.. Set it up and lore them again. Loving her!!!
This is exactly how I was feeling when I play her, she just kinda seems like a bait and catch character.

BTW I don't get the use of SS it always seems so punishable and unsafe to really use alone and eeverytime I use it in a combo I just can't seem to figure whats is so great about this move.

I'm learning Harley as well (still trying to decide on a main :p), and even though no one has posted on this thread for a while I figured that I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Harley's mix-up game is pretty insane, especially on KD. My go to BnB midscreen is b2,2-> TS(1)->ji2->1,1,2xxSS, (Corners I use b2,2-> TS(1)->nj2->f1,3->1,1,2 you can xx intoSS here if you want a tricky cross-up situation that leaves you in the corner -- pretty decent after you corner combo them a couple times if you ask me). The starters are either b2,2 (low, mid), or f2 (overhead), or ji2 with either of them (overhead low or double overhead).

Canceling 1,1,2 into SS leaves you with an untechable KD and youre right on top of them. So you can mix them up with any of your combo openers (b2,2 or f2 or either with a nj2 beforehand) forcing some pretty nasty 50/50 set-ups and fuzzy guarding situations that all lead into a 30sih% full combo. Timing a b3->ji2 instead of just the ji2 makes the combo do around 40sih%, but it's too annoying to do online for my taste since Harley's weird jump arc and short range on her 1,1,2 make the follow-up after the bounce hard to connect... it's pretty good for forcing a stage transition though.

If they insist on using a wake-up that stuffs your jump in or starter, drop the SS after the 1,1,2 and do a MBf3 instead. It will connect as a meaty after the combo and will stuff their wake-up... MB might not be necessary against some wake-ups, but I haven't messed with it that much.

To get her mix-up game started is another issue however. Her jump is pretty bad and she doesn't have free armor to get in. Her dash is really good though (fastest recovery time in all the game iirc) and SSxxTS is a super fast low that has crazy range (be careful against projectiles though since you will get knocked out). Harley relies really heavily on a decent understanding of the range on her moves and an effective footsie game in order to get her mix-up game started, so playing her a lot to get used to her normals will probably go a long way to making her seem more devastating. Also, don't be afraid to zone when you can/have to. Her guns are pretty fast and MBcupcakes catches people sleeping a lot, often forcing a sloppy rush in which makes getting your rushdown mix-up game started that much easier.

Just somethings coming from a newb that might make Harley's weird playstyle more coherent. I'm having trouble with her AA options, since her d2 and her AA guns are kind of... not good. So far what I've been doing vs heavy jumpers is creating space and stuffing big jump-ins with cupcakes and psychic j2's, but that's not exactly a solid strategy :(

MDS

Shotguns & Grapplers
I've only had the game for a week and already need a sub for Lex's bad matches so I chose Harley, takes more execution but she's a really fun character and totally crazy just like in the comic series, I'm having a hard time with her online but I found a great tutorial yesterday, goes into a lot of good detail and even shows inmatch gameplay too,
it's helped me a lot.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I am yet another person currently under Harley's spell. My team consists of HawkGirl, Catwoman and Killer Frost. Harley is so different (in a good way)...she has a great up close game...she can zone VERY well (imo) and has crafty tricks that throw off opponents. I kind of think Harley is a character that excels at keeping the opponent off balance and irritated. Here are a few things that stand out to me and I have found success with:

A.) Her air gun shots are simply amazing. I beat Killa_Streets (who is very good and pretty high on the leader boards) with my 2 hour Harley Quinn using nothing but strategically timed gun shots, air gun shots, and meter burn cup cakes. Also, if I get into a poking war up close, I love doing a few d1's and then jumping back into air gun shots...such a great tool.

B.) Her B3. Such good range, can take HG out of the air at her peak height above Harley, and is relatively fast. I use it quite a bit especially if I anticipate a mid screen jump in attempt from my opponent.

C.) Her dashes are fast and are the best in the game (imo). Combine that with Silly Slide and you have now just reached the opponents face in less than a second.

D.) Her cupcakes are very useful. I LOOOOVE the MB version because it pretty much stops the opponent and gives Harley enough time to either move in or set up some zoning.

All in all, I think a lot of top players are underestimating Harley due to her slow F2 and seemingly lack of an abusable skill. As someone mentioned above, you can abuse the hell out of air gun shots from a good distance and start from there. I'm brand new with Harley but I can already see that she has some serious potential. I just think she requires A LOT of patience and craft...

You cant "abuse" air guns. Its very useful and i use it a lot, but a move that does that little damage and is punishable isnt something to abuse.

Anyone with real skill can counter zone harley pretty easily. I mean, ducking kills almost everything she can do and every overhead she has is easily reactable.

Almost no frame traps and the ones she does have start with a high and can be poked in the middle of the string.

This character is ass, now everyone go play killer frost please =)

I <3 Harley Quinn

k1nG_Qu1nN

The King
If you're having a hard time playing Quinn, you have to put on the pressure. Mix up your overheads and lows into TS1 and BnB on that ass. Just keep up the pressure and be unpredictable. Also learn to PD and TS without whiffing.