What's new

I am Disgusted...

My Faith in OXM reviews are gone. Forever. Here is their review of UMK3.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Mortal Kombat is finally back in the Arcade- too bad it's in the form of Ultimate MK3(WTF?!?!) Though the game's been well-preserved, the 360's Mushy D-pad offers no joy, and the brutally cheap AI offers no Quarter(Xblive anyone!?!??!) Fatalities, Animalities, Babalities, Mercy Moves, the addition of the sixth button (the superfluos Run)... this is MK at it's most Convoluted. It's still fun to beat up on friends in online matches, but chances are good you will spend the bout complaining about all of the above to each other anyway. (Here comes the most ridiculous thing ever) Frankly we'd rather have Backward-compatibility for MK: Armageddon on 360 than this.

VERDICT- 6.0

Ok, Seriously, What the fuck. They have no idea what they are talking about. Im appaled by this and im seriously thinking about emailing them and telling them off, but it won't make a difference anyways.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised. I have subscriptions to both OXM and GameInformer.

This was like the time when I threw the magazine at the wall because I was fed up with their (GI) rediculous review for JAWS:Unleashed. They gave it a 3.0 when it was a far better game (more like a 7.5).

Some people just shouldnt review games. UMK3 is a great game. Yeah the controllers need work, but other than that...

dreemernj

Ambassador
ilovepoop said:
yeah gamespot is the way to go if you are looking fore reviews never look to OXM for reviews they blow
No place is consistantly good. Gamespot seems a little better, but I remember when the Dreamcast was out they were heinous. I came across a number of reviews of games and accessories that were just completely wrong. Cases where people wrote 1 to 2 page reviews having never actually played the game or used the accessory. I bought a gamepad once because it had 6 face buttons and Gamespot talked about how good it was to have 6 face buttons when playing 3s. Low and behold, the 2 extra face buttons were just copies of 2 of the other face buttons. I went back to the review and found a ton of angry comments, and eventually the review disappeared and was replaced with one done after using the item they were reviewing.

Hopefully they have gotten better since then. But overall I don't trust any review or take any review too seriously. You just have to try it and see and ignore it when someone skates over a game because they never really played it.

Reminds me of Tommy Tollarico or whatever his name is on Judgement Day on G4. He panned GGXX because he said you could always just hit one button over and over and always win. I know he produced the show and all and was probably writing his own pay check, but still, if your review is only going to be as good as the worst GameFAQ troll comment, you might as well just leave the business because you fail at it :-/

Right, UMK3 is the same as Trilogy with the expection of some characters taken off the char. selection (I WANT RAYDEN :cry: ).I play N64 ROMs and I have MK:T and its the same as UMK3. I even use my wired 360 controller on my comp (YOU CAN DO THIS ^_^) and have the buttons set to the same as UMK3 ^_^ .IMO, the worst game was MK4 for the N64 (off-subject but just wanted to say.) UMK3 isn't the best but its fun to play and its the shizznit. It doesn't deserve anything lower rating than 8.0

XL

Noob
Maybe as a single player game it is, but competitively, it would be horrible to play against others online. It would basically be a rush to see who could do an infinite on who first.

OXM and Gameinformer are two of the main reasons why I never believe in the opinions of others except my own judgement. As long as the game is fun to play, it's in my library, and what OXM thinks of UMK3, matters not.

XL

Noob
I agree with Dreemer. As many people in the world who think they are gods gift to reviewing games, the only review that really matters is your own.

I've played many games recently that have been absolutely trashed by most of the top review sites, but I thought they were kind of fun. My case and point would be Phantasy Star Universe. Sure, the gameplay was sluggish, but it had a great story. And most sites rated that 6 and below.