What's new

How to teach Mk9 to my little cousin?

well "little" by relative means, hes 15 and stuck here while irene passes as they live on a bay

so I showed him mortal kombat last night, because he saw part of the stream and went "is that.....mortal kombat" and I knew he'd probably find it to be the greatest thing ever (I had to play damage control with his mom when he played SCIV a couple years back and saw all the bouncy bits that I somehow thought wouldn't be a big deal...)

Problem is....it was soooooo hard to teach him the basics of the game. he knows soul calibur, but claims he can mash in that game. I loaded up a sub mirror in training to start. I figured I'd start with 22. He did 22 fine. He did 224 fine. Then every time after that he did 2222222222122222222. I tried to explain that you don't need to hit the buttons so much or so hard, but I don't know if that helped.

Next I tried to explain how to do the iceball. At first he just tried to do the diagonal + 3. Then once I told him it was two inputs he just did d3 b3 f3 d3 b3 d3 d3 d3 d3 mashed to infinity. He got it once or twice but still struggled

Its weird because I've seen him play Tony Hawk and do crazy manual to kick flip to special grind to manual, ad nasuem, but for some reason 22 and 22df3 is just too alien to him? I finally showed him Noob Saibot and he just did down-up and f33...good enough I guess. He also told me his friend gets mad when they play tekken because "he spams the same move"

I was able to explain to him the values of "playing to win" when he told me his friend gets mad at him for "spamming" in tekken, so that next encounter will be interesting I'm sure. *trollface*

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Try getting him into a different mindset with fighters general. In Soul Calibur IV, have him play as Rock or Astaroth to get a feel for sluggish, yet more controlled characters.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
You can try to compare fighting game philosophy to real fighting or to something else he may be able to relate to. That way he may be able to get into the right mindset.

I'm in the same situation as well. Tried teaching my 15 year old friend how to play while he was over.
Let's just say didn't go too well.
If there is ANY advice I could give you..It is to try to break the "mashing" habit.

Thank you, ZeroSymbolic for writing that short guide. I'm sure that will help anyone who is in this situation.
Best of luck to you.
~Hound

McNasty

Moist.
save vs unsafe, whiff punishing, mix ups, safe jumps, anti air, wake up, poking, and a bit of psychology should do it.

edit: values of good execution.

King

Sig Maker
Have him pick Reptile and try to get him to master doing all of his specials. The reason I picked Reptile was because he has almost all the necessary motions you need to do in the game. :l :r motions :d :u motions :l :l motions :d :r motions etc. The only one he doesn't have is the :d :l motion but that's just the reverse of :d :r lol.

Justice

Kombatant
I'm not sure what to say, I have a problem of double-tapping buttons myself; a bad habit I picked up over the years.

Soul Caliber does have string combos that are 111 or 222 but eventually your weapon stops moving :D

I'd say, try to change his mindset a little by teaching him the value of BLock. Maybe then he will start to understand the value of mastering even the basic string kombos. Either that, or introduce him to DoA 4 ;)