What's new

How to teach a new player?

Beach

La mejor playa
So my younger brother wants to play Injustice 2 when it drops and of course I'm gonna teach him. My question is how do I teach in a way the prevents frustration? I started by trying to teach him basic string-> specials (supes 3xxBF3) and he gets frustrated. What things (or even injustice 1 characters) should I start him off with?

Espio

Kokomo
Answering this question requires much more detail. For example, teaching a four year old is different from teaching a ten year old in terms of retention and patience.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
So my younger brother wants to play Injustice 2 when it drops and of course I'm gonna teach him. My question is how do I teach in a way the prevents frustration? I started by trying to teach him basic string-> specials (supes 3xxBF3) and he gets frustrated. What things (or even injustice 1 characters) should I start him off with?
First of all, you need to teach him the following in order:

1) Fundamentals (footsies, pokes, OKI, etc). If he gets used to those stuff, then move on.
2) Find a character he wants to learn so much, and then look in the YT videos for basic and advanced combos.
3) Once he gets used with the combos, train together in the private matches to get used with the MUs, the strategies, the tactics, etc.

You need to learn him the knowledge, and then the experience. Without knowledge he will have a bad experience. This is the only way to become a very good player.

Good luck.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Are you starting him off with I:GAU? There are several characters that are pretty new player friendly, like Doomsday or Hawkgirl because they take very little execution to reach a basic level, so you can focus more on fundamentals.

Though if he's very rudimentary, it might be important just to get him to practice specials and what not. When I tried to teach my Dad MK X, I learned how much basic stuff (like inputs reversing based on what side I am) I take for granted.

Beach

La mejor playa
Answering this question requires much more detail. For example, teaching a four year old is different from teaching a ten year old in terms of retention and patience.
He is 15 and has watched me play so he knows what stuff looks like but just struggles performing it

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
My brother showed me how to play and he's younger than me (By 2 years). Now as classic sibling rivalries go I couldn't stand him being better than me. And to his credit he was for a while. But when I found this site it helped me a lot on the do's and don'ts in fighting games. And alas! I was finally better and beating him steady.

But, when he started losing more, instead of trying to get better (I even pointed out some things that he should/should not be doing.) he lost interest in the game and stopped playing all together.

Hopefully your brother sticks with it and tries to get better. But if he decides it's not for him there's not much you can do.

Tell him that he needs to be patient in order to learn the game then teach him basics and things that are easier for him to perform and bring him up

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
He is 15 and has watched me play so he knows what stuff looks like but just struggles performing it
Tell him to be patient. All of us started like this. With some training he will get it down without problems. With training he will know the timings and stuff necessary to make those combos and such.