What's new

How to stream on twitch?

jmt

Noob
So do most people just use their ps4/xb1 to stream or do they use a 3rd party capture device.

Also, how do these guys do the streaming where you only see their silhouette, you don't see the background of the room they are in.

What software are they using?

Thanks.

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
The silhouette is done from a green screen using Open Broadcast Software.
There has been a large increase in streamers as of late because it is built into the Xbox One and PS4 so a lot of people are just using that.
If you want overlays and such however you'd need to use a capture device and stream software.

Reactions: jmt

redeyes

Button Masher
most ppl use 3rd party devices cause it allows for better streams imo.

they use a greenscreen and just leave the BG blank woyld be my guess for the 2nd question

most people use OBS.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
The silhouette is done from a green screen using Open Broadcast Software.
There has been a large increase in streamers as of late because it is built into the Xbox One and PS4 so a lot of people are just using that.
If you want overlays and such however you'd need to use a capture device and stream software.
Can you record matches with your Xbox One, without kinect? And if so, can you watch them in the PC afterwards, or just on the console?

jmt

Noob
Ok, well I have a HD PVR 2, but I haven't opened it yet. No clue if I should even really use it since I can just stream from my PS4.

Thanks for the reply.

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
Can you record matches with your Xbox One, without kinect? And if so, can you watch them in the PC afterwards, or just on the console?
I'm really not sure. I use capture devices so I never bothered looking to far into the consoles' recording capabilities.

If anyone needs help, graphics, etc. with live streaming feel free to hit me up. I've been live streaming on and off since 2006 on Twitch and even before it existed...when it was still all Justin.tv.

Yes, you can record without Kinect. They also recently added the ability to take screenshots. You can watch your clips on the PC and even many other devices without a problem, sometimes it even works better than YouTube.

Ok nice. I will look into how to do all of this.

Thanks dink.
Feel free to contact me for any help, setting up, graphics, etc.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Yes, you can record without Kinect. They also recently added the ability to take screenshots. You can watch your clips on the PC and even many other devices without a problem, sometimes it even works better than YouTube.
Great! Thanks for the info

mfkaoz

Banned
Streaming with a capture card is always better than straight from the console because you have so many options for customization. Facecam, follower/donation alerts, overlays etc. I have one but I don't use it because my PC is from the stone age and can't run OBS without shitting on itself :(

Thanks man, will hit you up once I get my PVR 2 installed and figure out how this stuff works.
Sounds good, I had a PVR2...actually I might still have it not sure. Anyway, if you have trouble installing it or figuring out connections, I know that too. Trust me, I've run into all the issues you can probably get at some point or another.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Streaming with a capture card is always better than straight from the console because you have so many options for customization. Facecam, follower/donation alerts, overlays etc. I have one but I don't use it because my PC is from the stone age and can't run OBS without shitting on itself :(
So the streams we were watching these days were directly from your console?

mfkaoz

Banned
So the streams we were watching these days were directly from your console?
Yup. I plan on saving up money to build a monster PC so I can host proper streams but for now I'm running it straight off the PS4. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I would much rather have the extra customization options that come with using a program like OBS or Xsplit.

Ok nice. I will look into how to do all of this.

Thanks dink.
Make sure you spend a good bit of time making your stream look the way you want it and making sure notifications work and shit. People appreciate a smooth viewing experience over a jank one.

Also, don't expect to get a shit ton of viewers.