What's new

How to spend the x meter : X - Ray vs X -moves

Just to have your opinions... Yesterday I've had a sesh with my mentor of the Nightwolf Academy, and as I was getting beat up, Ive noticed how he would rather use the meter for Nightwolf's with the x-moves, out and in combos. It was a nice lesson. I've also read here before, that some player would rather not use the x moves in the combos. So I would like to see the different styles or opinions on the matter: a nicely timed x ray or a good use of x moves, or even x moves in combos? I know it's all a mater of tastes, depending on the match up. Ive come to realise that the best strategy is not to always save the meter for a (sometimes failed) attempt to x-ray the opponent.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Breaker or eh moves. Xray tends to not be very effective unless it's the third round and you know it will kill him.

Otherwise I'm all about eh moves

It all depends on the character, for example Ermac's BnB combos do 40%+ damage w/o any meter usage & all you really need his meter for is breaker BUT guys like my main Scorpion, incorrect meter usage can cost you the game. His meter should be saved for Breaker & :en Teleport, :x is pretty much useless to a good Scorpion player because his Spear reset gets you 70%+ damage off BnB

It all depends on the character, for example Ermac's BnB combos do 40%+ damage w/o any meter usage & all you really need his meter for is breaker BUT guys like my main Scorpion, incorrect meter usage can cost you the game. His meter should be saved for Breaker & :en Teleport, :x is pretty much useless to a good Scorpion player because his Spear reset gets you 70%+ damage off BnB
thanks!.. although this is a Nightwolf thread

EvilNonsense

steals your stuff
Ah! that too!
then can someone, please, explain to me the breaker mechanic? I have a friend who always does combos with Ermac, is there a specific timing to break it?
When you have two bars on your meter you can perform a Breaker. Just hold forward + block. No specific timing is required. The next melee attack you absorb will generate the Breaker.

i break when i need to, otherwise i love ex shoulder, and sometimes when i just wanna stay back and finish them off, i throw a lightning and then ex arrow (chr dependant) otherwise i rarely do ex hatchet bnb.. just personal preference... pretty sure also that stringxxhatchet, b2xxxray does 47%

I like to use ex lightning/hatchet. I always try to keep two bars in reserve for a breaker. However if my meter is full I'll use an ex move in or to start a combo. Sometimes ex shoulder on wakeup depending on positioning.

ha i forgot about ex lightning.... i use that once in a while if they tryna bait a wakeup shoulder by closing in fast, then ducking... or something like that.

if a nw really wanna waste meter try something into exhatch, ex light, string xx ex special or something to that effect.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I like to use ex lightning/hatchet. I always try to keep two bars in reserve for a breaker. However if my meter is full I'll use an ex move in or to start a combo. Sometimes ex shoulder on wakeup depending on positioning.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Listen to this man, he is smarticles.

if you are going to do the xray you can confirm it by starting a combo. example - 122hatchet b2hatchet 1 dash 122 xray - 50%

but you should primarily use nightwolfs meter for ex shoulder, ex choke (has super armor too, great for jump ins in the end of the match)

i like to use his meter for combos such as lordofthefly's 122hatchet b2exhatchet b2choke for about 42%

Yeah, I'm definitely in the "keep 2 meters, do other stuff when you have 3" camp. I also play Cyber-Sub so I'm used to doing the same thing with his EX divekick & parry.

I could see the value of EX hatchet in combos before the patch, but definitely not now with EX shoulder being as silly as it is.