What's new

How to keep interested while training?

Justice

Noob
Let me start by saying that I bore fairly easy.

I guess my biggest problem is that I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere while training. In an rpg, when you grind you can see your exp go up as time goes by. You don't get that same reward training in a fighting game. It helps when I get a new section of a kombo down, but then it gets tedious again trying to get the next section down. Granted, I'm only practicing one kombo ATM but it's a kombo that builds into bigger Kombos and I can't seem to finish it.

Also, for a break I take a trip through Ladder mode. I just recently upped it to Medium difficulty (I am so proud :D). Now my problem is, I can still Babality the entire Ladder but struggle a little more but I can't beat Shao Khan for the life of me. Should I stay on Medium for my practicing or go up one more even though Incant take Khan?

What are some of your training regimens? How do you rank up? How do you keep from passing out while training?

I'm assuming your main is Sonya. She must have more than 1 bnb. Be sure to check out her other bnbs. See which one you like best (the best is the one with the highest damage, or the best damage to ease of input ratio). Practice her bnbs in certain situations. Practice Bnbs with jip, cross over jip, njp, opponent in the air, teleport punish, everything. Check if your bnbs hit high or mid or low, you won't be able to punish certain specials with high starters.

Hell, you can take the time to invent your own bnb.

Take the time to learn other characters. Try and figure out how punishable attacks are with other kombatants. Put your opponent on wake up attack enabled and see if you can punish them. See if after knocking your opponent to the ground with a certain attack, you will be able to get a safe crossover from wakeup attacks.

I spend a lot of time in practice mode experimenting shit. I take what I learn and apply them in the game.

There are a few things you could do.
1) Play on Expert Ladder/Expert AI.
-Even if you don't win consecutively, you will eventually get better.
-The expert AI in practice mode is actually a tad bit more difficult/smarter than the Expert Ladder AI.
2) Play people better than you.
-This is on the same level as playing the Expert Ladder/Expert AI.
-When playing people more experienced than you, you learn a lot faster than just going against AI.
3) Practice EVERY variant of EVERY combo for your main(s).(Basically learn your character inside and out)
-This helped me with Sub-Zero. Knowing exactly what works and what doesn't in any situation is very handy.
4) Play good people offline that can give you advice on your character(s).
-I have yet to even go to an offline event. But I hope to in the near future.
5) Get a good grasp on more than one character even if you don't like to play as them.
-This helps match-up wise, learning what can beat/punish what is a need-to-know thing.
-This also helped me with Combos and understanding different styles of game-play(rushdown, zoning, etc..)

Hope this helps. Best of luck to ya man.
~Hound.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
What the Wolfman said. Training, training and more training. Take your main, take advantage of the harmlessness of Expert AI Practice (no frustrations or fury in getting your ass kicked if its not in match form), pick someone you absolutely hate to fight, and figure them out like a science project.
Only downside is...and I'm pretty aure I'm right, if not someone PLEASE correct me because it drives me crazy...Practice AI never throws breakers.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
If somehow they could patch record/playback mode. I would like to see you set the dummy to constantly repeat a certain move, like spin, spear, flip kick or nomad dash, or repeat their chains, etc.

I'd also like to DLC AI like "Perfect Legends Kung Lao" or "REO's Mileena" or allow you to program your own custom AI upload it to the net. Allow others to download it. Eg "I'm playing Tom Brady's Sub Zero AI. Then that would be cool.

Or if they followed Marvel VS Capcom's 3 training/Challenge or SF4 trial challenge mode, where you work through each of your characters deadly combos.

Theme

Noob
For me, when I started off of the Demo, I was already playing at Hard. After the demo, it took me a few days to get into my characters to take them to Expert. Soon after that, I take them into practice mode then that, online. This is how my training schedule goes:

Find a new character.
Practice his BnB and Advanced combos in PRACTICE MODE
Take him to Ladder to try to execute the combos.
Beat Ladder Mode at 15 minutes or under with said character.
After that, that is when I feel confident enough to take him online (which isnt so good at gauging skill level anyway)

I have to say, the biggest satisfaction playing this game, is pulling off an advanced combo in a real match. In practice mode, what gets me going is finding out ways to start combos and or to end them. I usually change up some BnB combos that I see in videos to accommodate my play style. Trust me, if you can pull of a 30% easily and consistently, the feeling is great when u do pull it off in a real match.

Saint

Noob
What are your goals with your training?

You want to be the best? no?

You want to be among the best? not that either?

You want to be a good player?

Discipline. Discipline is doing something you hate like you love it.

I will personally never leave practise mode untill I have whatever I went in for down, be it 5 minutes or 5 hours.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Like seven said, I use pure determination and discipline 2 get it right. But at the end of every session I like 2 do something fun, albiet useless. I go in2 tag team practise put on unlimited super meter w random characters and see wat kind of crazy shit I can come up with. It is fairly amusing 2 do 4 xrays in a combo w lui kang and sub zero, plus it can help w ur general execution. In the game, it keeps me interested when I get bored of doing the same combos and setups for hrs on end.

Justice

Noob
Oh wow! I didn't expect this many replies so fast! Thanks a ton guys :D

Yeah, I'm maining Sonya.

My short-term goal is to not be a scrub anymore.

Basically, my situation is this: I have never played a fighting game over difficulty 2. I have always loved fighting games but once I beat em, that was kinda it for me. So here I am practicing one Sonya kombo because I still can't get it right and am afraid to start on others in case I lose the work I've already done. Same goes for other characters. I tool around with them occasionally to familiarize myself with them, but won't actually practice another for fear my Sonya game will suffer. I'm just that bad :'(

Metalic

Noob
Oh wow! I didn't expect this many replies so fast! Thanks a ton guys :D

Yeah, I'm maining Sonya.

My short-term goal is to not be a scrub anymore.

Basically, my situation is this: I have never played a fighting game over difficulty 2. I have always loved fighting games but once I beat em, that was kinda it for me. So here I am practicing one Sonya kombo because I still can't get it right and am afraid to start on others in case I lose the work I've already done. Same goes for other characters. I tool around with them occasionally to familiarize myself with them, but won't actually practice another for fear my Sonya game will suffer. I'm just that bad :'(
If it makes you feel any better, Sonya's "advanced" combos have some of the tightest windows of execution in the game. I found the first time learning the hardest, MK9 being the first game I've taken competitively, it was all new to me in practice. I'd heard and seen a few things for FG's in general, but never had my hands on one before. When I first started, I had trouble doing small things, such as a simple teleport off a Sektors jump kick. Looking back, I wonder how I couldn't do something so easy just ~2 short months ago. Best advice I can give is just don't be negative, it'll make you wanna quit even more. One of the worst things you can do is just sit there and think "There is no way in hell I can do that". One of the best times, in my opinion, to change characters is early. Especially being new to fighters, you absolutely HAVE to find a character you're comfortable using and learning with. It helps speed up the process and make it more enjoyable overall. No harm in bouncing around characters for a bit, trying out each for 30 mins-1 hour or so (If you haven't already)

Practice, practice, practice. Everyone starts somewhere.