What's new

Question How to Jump-In at Kitana?

Owerbart

I miss you
So, although I can zone the wench like no tomorrow, I found myself having trouble to correctly jumping-in against Kitana and his low hurtbox. Today I was playing against a dude who when I jumped in at him just screwed his finger to down + 1 frenetically and it was almost imposible to get a jip. Even on crossover jips he did the same and almost every jip whiffed and I ate d1s.

Now, I know that just jik makes the job, but still it looks like i'm missing something.

thanks.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Kitana excels in aerial combat. Jumping at her is just asking to eat a standing 2 anti-air or even an instant air fan and around 30% damage. I'd cut that out of your game-plan if I were you.

You want to approach Kitana? Memorize the range of her normals and footsie your way in. Trade projectiles only if you have the life lead.

rev0lver - is this correct or am I missing something?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Yeah, the first rule about jumping in against Kitana = Don't jump in against Kitana. Stay grounded, duck fans, make her come to you and play footsies with her. On knockdown her wake-ups are ass and you can duck them all SO ABUSE IT.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
dont jump at her head on, cause you will die if you are playing a good player, as for him being able to D1 you on cross up, it might be the lag, because D1 is shit defense for her on cross up and you should be able to stuff dat shit,

Cross dat hoe up till he starts back dashing outta the way, or D3ing you on cross up to make you miss. if he's a jedi he will standing 3 you into combo on cross up, but thats pretty rare these days.

trying hiting punch a little earlier on your cross up, could be the spacing too, but good players will stuff dat D1 for days,

don't jump at her head on though, you will die,

Owerbart

I miss you
Kitana excels in aerial combat. Jumping at her is just asking to eat a standing 2 anti-air or even an instant air fan and around 30% damage. I'd cut that out of your game-plan if I were you.

You want to approach Kitana? Memorize the range of her normals and footsie your way in. Trade projectiles only if you have the life lead.

rev0lver - is this correct or am I missing something?
Thing is, once again, The dude wasn't even doing aa2 or IAF, he was just making fuc*ing d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 d1. That's my point. I still can zone her and she never gets close. I'll try to do less jips and play footsies. Guess the key is to punish d1 with something meaty if its possible.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Thing is, once again, The dude wasn't even doing aa2 or IAF, he was just making fuc*ing d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 d1. That's my point. I still can zone her and she never gets close. I'll try to do less jips and play footsies. Guess the key is to punish d1 with something meaty if its possible.
nothing wrong with a Jump Kick to knock her down either, you can stuff all her wake up options with any character in the game, so I would be opting for the JK her out of the D1 if I were you, but I still recommend not jumping at her, could become a bad habbit that only works on that one dude

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Kitana's d1 is actually really bad as an anti-air but it will sometimes work. Chances are that the guy you were playing was just getting lucky. But you shouldn't be jumping in at Kitana regardless.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Everyone saying to never jump at her is wrong. Unless you play a character that totally shuts down her footsies(and there's not many) you have to jump at her sometimes. It's not a safe, good option but it's necessary because if you eliminate that option from your game you're stuck dealing with her ground game forever and that plays into her game. She can't be ready to AA and play her footsies game at the same time. She's going to have to be looking for it and now you've got her second guessing and slowing down her ground game. This both gives you the chance at getting in through jumping and making getting in through other means easier since she's got one more thing to worry about. If you look at the Kitana Dallas matches CD and myself both lose a lot of rounds because of jump ins. That's one of the key reasons I beat him in the mirror and one of the key reasons Dizzy beats me. Cage is a great example of this. Half his jump ins will fail and he'll get blown up but at least the other half help. If he never did he'd never win at all.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Everyone saying to never jump at her is wrong.
Bit trying to make things easier on himself at tourny by fooling people into thinking it's safe to jump at kitana, ;)

no one ever said never, but I would strongly recommend against making a habit of it, or thinking it's a viable stratagy to throw off a Kitana player with any knowledge of her toolset at all.

I think for Dizzy vs you it's a different story because you guys play eachother so much, he probably knows some of your tendencys better and knows when he has a good chance at a succesful jump in.

And Kitana mirrors are a fucked situation in the first place, anything goes in those really,

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Those were just two examples. Whatever though. People can see my thoughts and decide for themselves what's effective.

coolwhip

Noob
BTW the same applies to Smoke and other characters. The rule of thumb that you "never jump in on Smoke" is foolish. Wafflez would body us all if we never jumped.
The rule of thumb that you "never jump in on Wafflez" though, is not that foolish. Unless you're PL. Then you can get away with whatever y0u want against young Tomas.

coolwhip

Noob
Bit trying to make things easier on himself at tourny by fooling people into thinking it's safe to jump at kitana, ;)

no one ever said never, but I would strongly recommend against making a habit of it, or thinking it's a viable stratagy to throw off a Kitana player with any knowledge of her toolset at all.

I think for Dizzy vs you it's a different story because you guys play eachother so much, he probably knows some of your tendencys better and knows when he has a good chance at a succesful jump in.

And Kitana mirrors are a fucked situation in the first place, anything goes in those really,
Obviously making it a habit of jumping in a lot is ill-advised against anyone, let alone Kitana. However, LBSH, jump ins (and especially cross overs) are extremely powerful in this game, and the most common form of obtaining significant damage, so they can't be disregarded in any match-up, and have to be used at some point.

Espio

Kokomo
I have no trouble with Ermac, but I'm playing with Stryker this days.

Gun cancels can help sometimes or jumping when she's doing something else, basically don't jump from far away and don't jump in a predictable fashion. It's all really based on making the right read, really. Kitana and Stryker have a similar issue where a lot of their strings hit high so remember to poke her out of her stuff as well, that can force her to jump more and you can get more anti-air opportunities too.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Obviously making it a habit of jumping in a lot is ill-advised against anyone, let alone Kitana. However, LBSH, jump ins (and especially cross overs) are extremely powerful in this game, and the most common form of obtaining significant damage, so they can't be disregarded in any match-up, and have to be used at some point.
of coarse you use them, who said dont?

I still have problems with cross up defense with kitana, like if I'm down to chip and get cross up, it's over. unless I make some jedi move and get an EX fan lift out, or back dash or something,

AAing is a huge part of my Kitana game, so the more people jump at me the better, I try to get myself into positions that people want to jump at me and think it's safe, this is easy to do because of the range of F2,1 and the fucked upness of 2,1, not to mention D1, it's pretty easy into frustrating someone to jump at you. and as kitana it's pretty easy to hit 2~fan, 2~Fanlift.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm always looking to AA as Kitana, you just have to be carful not to input B2, or fanlift, then you probably gonna get stuffed, but 2 is one of the best AA's in the game if you ask me, not to mention her other AA options.

Owerbart

I miss you
Gun cancels can help sometimes or jumping when she's doing something else, basically don't jump from far away and don't jump in a predictable fashion. It's all really based on making the right read, really. Kitana and Stryker have a similar issue where a lot of their strings hit high so remember to poke her out of her stuff as well, that can force her to jump more and you can get more anti-air opportunities too.
^This

I found how awesome it is to zone using gun cancels against this wench. But since I'm just starting with didn't know if it was the correct way to tackle the MU. Thanks