What's new

How to jump effectively?

Brahma

Noob
I'm having problems utilizing jump. I see a lot of players using jump as a way out of pressure, as an approach, or to avoid wakeup but I'm unsure of what circumstances it's a good idea. When/where should I jump in order to use it effectively?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Jumping as an approach is generally bad unless you're Cyber Sub or Sonya, as you get hit out of the air way too easily. Jumping out of pressure only works if you read a string that won't hit you out of your jump. To avoid wakeup, it's also dependent on what your opponent's wakeup move is...if it'll hit crossups, don't bother.

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
Jumping as an approach is generally bad unless you're Cyber Sub or Sonya, as you get hit out of the air way too easily. Jumping out of pressure only works if you read a string that won't hit you out of your jump. To avoid wakeup, it's also dependent on what your opponent's wakeup move is...if it'll hit crossups, don't bother.
This.

What I've learned is that dash block is the new jump: smaller window of vulnerability compared to jumping as an approach or a means to escape pressure. You have lots of ground tools that work well with good reads, especially to deal with jumping.