What's new

Question how to do command grabs consistantly?

yugzilla

Noob
Hey there. i'm finding it hard to do the command grab move special consistently and its starting to bug me especially since i want to learn characters that utilise the command move like kano,jax,jason etc. is there any way i can try to do the move more consistant so i can practise combos leading into the grab or any tips into trying to perform i only play on controller since i cant afford to play on arcade stick.

p.s for those who are reading this thread who don't know the notation of the move, it is down/back/forward or down/backdown/back/forward if people are using alternative controls instead.

Gegz

It's all in the game yo'
A friend of mine started playing Kotal just because his command grab is a DB, not a DBF, so you're not alone OP !

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
just make sure you press the last direction input the exact same time as the 1,2,3 or 4.

That is the only advise I can give.

PwnStar

Noob
Yeah it is oddly strict and I'm on a damn hitbox. I typically tap down, then snap back to forward in a separate motion. It feels like only the last 2 inputs need to be super tight, not so much the down to back. I think my issue is I really want to input in one smooth motion and the game seems to just not want this one to come out most the time. They need to tweak the input leniency a little. I think the issue is that if any input occurs between the back to forward (like say a down...) it doesn't work. So if you accidentally get: d, db, d, df. that middle down fucks you up. NRS has always done poorly with input assignment...but I feel you I really hate command throw inputs in MKX and it's stopping me from playing Jax and Erron Black.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I started doing it like a move where you can control the distance...like Ferra/Torrs overhead toss, you can throw far by pressing :d:l:bp:r. F/T's command grab works even if you input it like so, :d:l:fp:r, instead of :d:l:r:fp. Realizing that, took my command grab execution up at least to 75%. Hope it helps.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Practice and pay attention to where you're going wrong. For example:

If you find yourself jumping backwards when trying to command grab, note that you are moving your thumb too high when rolling from down to back.
If you find yourself jumping forward, you're being a little sloppy with the forward input.
If you step forward and attack, you're probably too late with the forward input.

Being aware of where you're going wrong will be really beneficial, so that you know what to work on.

yugzilla

Noob
just make sure you press the last direction input the exact same time as the 1,2,3 or 4.

That is the only advise I can give.
its not really the timing of the right and 1,2,3,4, the problem is trying to get from the back to the forward since my thumb rolls onto the other directions making the imput weird meaning the move comes out wrong. i think that if the directions were more spaced out on the ps4 controller like the ps3 controller then i can do it more consistently

also thanks for all the advice from people so far