What's new

Question How to contain Reptile in the corner?

I'm having trouble keeping Reptile in the corner, at least when he has meter. Every time I approach Reptile as he's standing there in the corner, he'll all of a sudden do an Ex Slide and get out for free. Any advice?

virtiqaL

Noob
Block, punish. Expect it, weave in and out of jump range and try to bait the slide or any other punishable move. Make sure when advancing that you're not just moving forward without caution, crouch block for a second or so here and there so that the Rep player is less willing to blindly toss out a punishable move. Keep clones up, especially if the Rep if careless with dashes and slides.

Personally, I don't really mind when I get hit by the EX slide, they burn a bar of meter that could've been used for a breaker or EX acid ball/dash for pressure, which I think are bigger problems for Sub from my experience.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
As someone else said if you know he's looking for it bait it, punish it, and be happy that slides the only move he can wake up with vs Sub.

D

Deleted member 9158

ice clone, crouch block.

That way the mid-hitting acid hand can't hit you.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Mind games in the corner, man. They love to EX- whatever when in the corner to blow up your clone...you can even not put a clone up (because they will anticipate) and bait the ex....then its a free punish, and like previously mentioned, a wasted 1 bar....

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
don't be so predictable with what you're going to use.
This is one of those times where... you don't have to immediately go in and do something. Beating reptile is not a race.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I'm having trouble keeping Reptile in the corner, at least when he has meter. Every time I approach Reptile as he's standing there in the corner, he'll all of a sudden do an Ex Slide and get out for free. Any advice?
Yes. One hell of advice: crouch block.

Armor. Ex dash is barely used in this match.
Charged ex forceball is proabably his safest way to escape the corner though
EX Ice blast will punish any ball Rep can throw, even uncharged EX fast ball will trade on reaction. As an anti air, sure but jumping in on Rep in the corner is not a good way to go. Rep has no safe way to escape the corner, only unsafe good reads.

The way I see it, Rep will usually just slide or block.Occasionally he will NJP spam but thats laughable. If he blocks, I dash in with d4 pressure back into clone set-up, or my fav B2 > Combo / B2 cancel > 212 Clone / Ice depending on hit confirm. When ending combo if youfinish with 222 you got time to clone then low block for slide. If 214 then his slide will blow you up before clone recovery finishes. If I gofor 214 ender I like to quick low block befor the clone to dissuade the slide, then dash back and clone. Its unsafe containment though, so 222 is really the way to go. And the NJP is dash 22 ice punished. He wont be doint it again after that.

Oh also watch out fr Reps that predict low block, wait for you to take one step and then throw the slide out. But that can be baited easily enough.

Seapeople

This one's for you
The way I see it, Rep will usually just slide or block.Occasionally he will NJP spam but thats laughable. If he blocks, I dash in with d3 pressure back into clone set-up, or my fav B2 > Combo / B2 cancel > 212 Clone / Ice depending on hit confirm.
You're doing it wrong. Gotta learn those jumpkick set ups, and that's where the charged forceball comes into play.

You're doing it wrong. Gotta learn those jumpkick set ups, and that's where the charged forceball comes into play.
"As an anti-air, sure but jumping in on Rep in the corner is not a good way to go".
If he has 1 bar of meter you're going to eat a full combo or waste 2 bars of your own by jumping in on him.. I know the JK set-up, just personally think its gonna cost you cuz the best reps wil either be waiting for slide opportunity or anti air opp. With JK you give him whiffed slide and AA on prediction (maybe reaction, dunno) but if he wants to play it safe that gives him guaranteed escape with 1 bar and puts enough distance between you that he can start zoning. I'd rather contain. Ofc. JK is perfectly viable if he has no bars, and probably the most ideal. But rarely will you corner rep with no bars and if you do he'll build one through damage fast enough in time for next clone set-up. I get Reps charge balling me all the time when I fake a dash in/jump in and they eat ice everytime. I like to keep the ground covered in this MU to make him fear sliding out to eat a full combo and get put straight back there with 1 bar less.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
They completely ignored what I said earlier in the thread.
Sometimes I wonder.

I'll also add this.
You don't want to be further than 3/4 screen.... or close enough to be dashed if you are getting zoned. Ice blast is punishable by dash on block and you can't trade full screen. If you duck spit... you get a free ice blast.

This will go unnoticed and might require a Temjiin meme/troll