What's new

How to beat Freddy?

When he gets in close I cannot do anything but take the damage and watch out for his mix ups but I also can't stay away from him because of those damn claws. When I try to rush him down he teleports away. Has anyone gotten this match up down yet, because I'm struggling. His mix-up game is very good, and so is his zoning. I don't know one tactic that works on this guy.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
i find freddy isn't great at breaking pressure also he has a lack of AA so JIP and stay close is the only advice i can give.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Taboo102 said:
When he gets in close I cannot do anything but take the damage and watch out for his mix ups but I also can't stay away from him because of those damn claws. When I try to rush him down he teleports away. Has anyone gotten this match up down yet, because I'm struggling. His mix-up game is very good, and so is his zoning. I don't know one tactic that works on this guy.
You've got to use another S tier character to stand a chance. Kung Lao, Reptile, Kabal, and Raiden are great options. I suggest Kung Lao or Reptile. Don't bother engaging in projectile wars. You'll never win the long distance battle no matter who you are. It's best to apply consistent pressure on Freddy. His defense is relatively weak compared to other S tier characters. That is why you need to use a character who has the ability to approach and pressure Freddy.

The regular teleport has start up frames before Freddy disappears and recovery frames when Freddy appears. I believe EX teleport has invincibility frames on start up, but it retains its recovery when Freddy appears. If you are using Reptile, for example, you can elbow dash (b,f+2) and punish any teleport as soon as Freddy appears. Reptile can also punish close ground spikes and medium ground spikes, but you have to be close to Freddy to punish the medium ground spike. f+4,2,1 is punishable by Reptile's elbow dash too.

Never let Freddy jump on you because that sets up his 50/50 mix up that leads to half life juggles. Have the presence of mind to use anti aerial attacks before you are forced to block a jumping punch.

That's interesting.. So he really is that strong huh?

I've only played a handful of Freddys so far but they were pretty much average and obviously didn't know about that 50/50 you speak of (what is it by the way?).

I've experienced the glitch were all projectiles go through him. As Stryker, this was extremely annoying because it meant I couldn't even maximize my combos. But that didn't prevent me from winning.

Yeah, I've noticed you can hit him when he reappears. I don't know for how many frames he is vulnerable, but as soon as I see him disappear I got for a special move or a 6-8frame punish. I've punished almost all of his teleports on reaction so far.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Vulcan Hades said:
That's interesting.. So he really is that strong huh?

I've only played a handful of Freddys so far but they were pretty much average and obviously didn't know about that 50/50 you speak of (what is it by the way?).

I've experienced the glitch were all projectiles go through him. As Stryker, this was extremely annoying because it meant I couldn't even maximize my combos. But that didn't prevent me from winning.

Yeah, I've noticed you can hit him when he reappears. I don't know for how many frames he is vulnerable, but as soon as I see him disappear I got for a special move or a 6-8frame punish. I've punished almost all of his teleports on reaction so far.
b+2 is an overhead. b+3 is a low attack. If you jump in with a jumping punch, b+2 and b+3 do not seem to be fuzzy guardable. You can do the following for 54% of damage.

b+2~EX ground spikes, JP,f+2,1~d,b+4,1, dash b+2, f+4,2,1~far ground spike, far ground spike.

Granted b+2~EX ground spike is not hit confirmable, it is safe.

Because Freddy's zoning is excellent and because his mix ups lead to half life combos, you need to use a character who can approach and apply pressure to Freddy before he has a chance to get his game going.

And you are right. The teleports are definitely not safe. In fact, they are pretty punishable, especially if you have a fast special move that advances forward.

I find that constant jump in pressure and his lack of AA is a good way to get him, also save your meter for combo breakers, and force him to use his. Really just jumping around can give him some trouble. He also doesn't have great wakeup attacks other than EX ground claw and you can jump over that.

Freddy lacks defense. You can jump over him constantly but you already knew that. But here is something you didn't know. His pokes are lacking compared to most of the upper cast. You can d3 d1 d4 him to death. The only thing quick you have to look out for is his f421 its range is deceptive.

Niflheim

Noob
I find Sub-Zero's Ice clone to be very good in defeating him since you can use 2,2 as an anti-air against him if he does try to jump over them. Then just trade iceball for one of his projectiles. Easy matches for me, though I probably we're playing scrubs.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I find Sub-Zero's Ice clone to be very good in defeating him since you can use 2,2 as an anti-air against him if he does try to jump over them. Then just trade iceball for one of his projectiles. Easy matches for me, though I probably we're playing scrubs.
Claw. Claw. Claw. Claw.

Comes out at the speed of light, recovers at the speed of sound and pushes you back several miles. If they are coming at you they deserve to lose.

I have had some nice success against Freddy using sektor. His flamethrower makes it hard for freddy to teleport in or use nightmare stance to mix up. Also sektor is able to punish a.blocked close range hell spike with 12b1 which leads into as much as a 44% combo. ExTU is also a great way to get around his claw zoning.

Sent from my Gameboy Color

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Claw. Claw. Claw. Claw.

Comes out at the speed of light, recovers at the speed of sound and pushes you back several miles. If they are coming at you they deserve to lose.
Sub-Zero can jump over Freddy's claw because Freddy has no air control. Sub should also be using the clone to modify his jump distance when he does jump the claw and to prevent jump ins by Freddy. Freddy can't throw claws at you from your jump in range unless he just wants to eat jip's and full combos.

When Sub's slide crushes all highs, he will also be able to punish Freddy for zoning. Freddy will not be landing 50/50 mixups on a competent Sub-Zero off jip's because Sub can bait him into delayed ice clones all day.

I have had some nice success against Freddy using sektor. His flamethrower makes it hard for freddy to teleport in or use nightmare stance to mix up. Also sektor is able to punish a.blocked close range hell spike with 12b1 which leads into as much as a 44% combo. ExTU is also a great way to get around his claw zoning.

Sent from my Gameboy Color
I think Sektor beats Freddy 6.5-3.5.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
How can you win when he cheats. Today I fought one as SZ and he managed to jump into my ice clone and walk around in it without him getting frozen. I will no longer play against this asshole until he's patched.

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
Idk if people know but freddys tele is almost identical to smokes just quicker. This mean it can still be interupted by advancing specials. Me and my buddy tested it with jax and i continously hit freddy in " invisable mode" so i could continue to keep up pressure. Freddy has many tools but he cant cope with rushdown and crossups so u cant allow him to gain distance this were specials like dash punch, shadow kick , and shoulder are effective. Idk just what i think

step 1. grab controller.
step 2. pick kung lao.
step 3. enter down forward 1 spin attack.
thats the answer to all of the, how do you beat ______? questions